I'm trying to fix a problem with a Rio Central player. The player is stuck at boot with the Rio Central logo in the display. After a few seconds the player opens the CD tray and that's it - all further actions just close the tray and then reopen it.

My guess is that it is unable to bootstrap from the harddisk in the player (the original 40GB one). I've taken the harddisk out and mounted it in one of my machines - I was able to mount 2 of the 4 partitions, one cannot be mounted because it's swap and the remaining one isn't recognized by Knoppix.

I've also tried to boot from the 1.10 version of firmware CD, but the CD player also ejects this disc after some time.

I've managed to get the player 'working' once in the last couple of days (sometimes it works for a little while), but on inserting a keyboard and hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del it just said that libreadline.so.2 has an invalid ELF header.

I've checked this file on the Knoppix system, and it looks as if the file has a valid ELF header.

All symptoms lead me to believe that the problem is either a faulty harddisk or some problem on the IDE channel. Another point that puzzles me is that the massively cooled - possibly power regulator - on the board stays cool, which suprizes me because of the massive cooling body applied.

I hope somebody can give me some advice about this issue - I'd really like to get this machine working again!

Cheers,
Jeroen