So, as phase 1 of getting the display extended empeg installed I need a remote phono switch....

(Phase 0 was a success )

I'll have a two stereo pairs of phono signals in the boot (trunk), 1 from the empeg, 1 from the onboard hifi; I'd like to select which pair goes to the amp.

Rather than route them to the cabin and then switch them and route the signal back to the boot (too much chance of interference and too bulky), I'd like to install a switch in the cabin that operates an electronic switch in the boot.
It doesn't need soft-switching or anything - I'll turn the amp down when I switch to avoid pops. Anyway, it'll be discarded in phase 3 or 4.

Any suggestions?
I'm low-level competent with a soldering iron and understand simple circuits (no problems building IR transmitters/receivers - no clue how to design one ) so I'd be more than happy to buy parts and make something up on some stripboard...

PS when I say 'goes to the amp'... The Jag has a complex amp that takes an encoded audio signal and decodes it - I need to tap into the pcb somewhere and take a line-level feed; this will then go to the switch and be replaced by the empeg signal.
In a future phase, this signal will go to the empeg as an aux with a vox switch as per here.
I'll then replace the OEM amplification/speakers with something nicer...