I just finished installing a new battery in my Karma. It was actually easier than I had anticipated. Upon final reassembly, it worked perfectly.

Except...

now the volume control button that raises the volume no longer does anything. I can lower the volume (in the process of testing this, I have reduced the volume to the level where I can't really use it anymore (volume setting = "8") and I cannot raise it back up.

I now have a brick with a shiny new battery in it. BTW, the old battery failed with the known swelling problem.

Mechanically there is nothing wrong with the button or switch. I can press the button, I can hear the switch click, but nothing happens. The switch itself is located in such a well protected position that it is virtually impossible that it received any physical damage during the disassembly or reassembly. I took the Karma apart again, manually operated the switch directly and it clicked, but did nothing.

Am I completely out of luck here? Is there any possibility of getting this thing repaired? Do I need to start shopping for a second-hand iPod?

Please help.

tanstaafl.