Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
... One last requirement I have that will sound ridiculous and trivial to you, but is an absolute, 100% guaranteed deal-breaker for me: I absolutely have to be able to use my existing PS-2 keyboard on whatever new machine I purchase or create. I will not do without my programmable keyboard.

... I use that programmable function at least a dozen times a day, and many days I use it hundreds of times. I guess there are PS-2 to USB converters that would allow me to run my PS-2 keyboard through USB, right? Are they reliable? Any recommendations? ...
Are there not Windows utilities that could provide the same or very similar keyboard macro (text expansion) functionality in software?

I used to have (might still have it somewhere here) a macro capable keyboard. It is also PS/2 connector, but I moved on to Mac laptops and have not really needed it since.

The only catch (I am aware of) when using a PS/2 to USB adapter is to make sure the keyboard does not need more electrical power than the USB port can deliver. Standard USB port or powered USB hub can deliver 2.5 watts (500ma). Many modern USB ports and the top tier powered hubs can supply substantially more.

At one time I had a genuine IBM early model clicky PS/2 keyboard which needed around 1 Amp, way more than the USB port could properly deliver. Despite the power shortfall the keyboard mostly worked through the USB adapter, but internally the adapter was struggling and the keyboard would randomly reboot itself or lock up. Eventually I figured out what the trouble cause was and installed a high output current USB hub.

Edited by K447 (17/02/2014 18:28)