I use Kovid Goyal's program "Calibre" to manage my eBook collection, which currently runs to more than 4,500 books.

Just in the past few weeks I have encountered a problem with the program which I believe is NOT a bug in Calibre, but something going on with my computer.

Under normal circumstances, it takes between four and five seconds for Calibre to load and display, ready for input, after I click on the Calibre icon. However, if it is the first time loading the program following a reboot, I get a 50-55 second delay while the program says it is "Initializing user interface...". This only happens following a reboot or restart of the computer.

Kovid Goyal responded as follows:

"This will be because of caching/preloading. Windows maintains a cache of the DLLs/data files used by recently/frequently started programs in RAM, allowing them to start up again quickly. Presumably something in your windows installation changed and that cache is not being prepopulated after a restart with the DLLs for frequently used programs."

I am running a recently (~three months) clean install of Windows 10, and Calibre ran fine in that installation until quite recently.

This kind of thing is way beyond my pay grade. What do I do now?

tanstaafl.