The other day as I drove over a 'sleeping policeman' (sped bump) there was a pop from inside the dash and the music stopped... cry
OK... multimeter on the pins of the sled connector - no constant +12V, switched is still present.

Checked the fusebox and the fuses responsible for the stereo were OK.

Took the player in and checked the wires from the connector where they get close to the edge of the disk tray. Saw nothing obvious, but added a couple of layers of electrical tape over the edge anyway. Player booted on AC adapter

So today went in to the dash and checked the fuse in the filter box - as I expected it was blown. Looked over the wiring in general but again failed to spot anything obvious.

Replaced fuse in the filter and verified constant and switched +12V both present on the sled's connector.
Reassembled the dash and again verified the voltages.

Inserted player (multiple times) and only get the LED heartbeat.
Tried another player (w/ drive issues) and get the LED heartbeat plus a whir.... whir... as it tries to read the drive, nothing more.) The first drive has an SSD.

Tried both players on AC adapter and the first one boots correctly while the second gets to the No drive found, contact support message (which it doesn't in the car).

It's been a while (looong) since I messed with the players other than enjoying the music, so feel rather like a noob again...

Looking t the connector from the front of the sled, the pins I probed were C, s and G for constant, switched and ground respectively. Capital letters for the 2 bigger contacts on the plug. '.' are the other small contacts.

...........C
..........sG

anyone with any ideas as to what might be up?