i have a miata too. i have some decent pioneer door speakers and the clearwater headrest speakers, driven by a nice pioneer head unit. no amps or subs or anything like that. to the discerning ear it probably sounds bad, but for me, it sounds fine. it is perfectly loud enough with the top down on the highway, and it sounds more than fine enough for me. the bass is also not a problem, but then again i just want music, not necessarily perfect sound. while my setup is a far far cry from perfection, it is plenty for me as i am not into perfect audio.

a friend of mine with a miata also, did put a sub in his trunk. i think it was a pold 10', but not sure. the sub, along with an amp or two basically took up most of his trunk. as for the headrest speakers, the clearwaters are ok, but not the best. if you unzip the headrest, just rip out the foam between the two speakers and you can fit all kinds of other speakers in there. i dont know about wiring them up properly, but i'm sure a good shop could do that for you. basically, you are not limited to something the size of a stock headrest speaker.

basically, if you want really good quality, i would follow the advice of others on this board that know alot more than me. i will probably just get a good amp and leave the pioneer in there with my empeg. if it sounds bad, i will probably upgrade the speakers later when i have more money. as for bass, i am not a huge bass fanatic, so the stuff i have now works fine for me.

sorry for the length, but i hope this helps.

jeremy

p.s. you can always get that clearwater sub. not sure of the sound quality, but it takes up no space since it mounts under the package shelf. maybe hugo could give some additional info on this subject. i think he drove/drives a miata.

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...