Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#101255 - 25/06/2002 08:52 Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc)
jbrinkerhoff

OK, I have ripped a TON of stuff with MMJB, all at 128. Comparing it to stuff ecnoded with LAME I can tell the difference (Using the --r3mix setting). Now I see this new --alt-preset standard setting, and was thinking of re-ripping everything anyway.

However, once nice thing about MMJB was that it can make folders during the rip, so for instance I have a f: drive with all my mp3s on it. Under f: I have say, Aerosmith folder, then Pump, then the songs with names like: 01-aerosmith-pump-songname.mp3

I tried to duplicate this in EAC, and it wont make the folders... Is there some syntax to the filename line Im missing? The help says you can make folders, but when I put the backslashes in the filename format it does not work...

I know there are a lot of EAC experts on here, so can someone help me?

Bonus question: I have a Toshiba 2x DVD drive, and a Lite-On (HIVAL) 40x16x10 CD-RW... Does anyone KNOW if either of these support C2 error detection? I did the 'test' with the toshiba and it seems to, however sometimes on severely scratched CDs I still get some glitches.

At work here I have access to a "whole bunch" of old 4x plextor SCSI CD drives. Any opinions on using one (or several... heheh ) of those? Can you run multiple copies of EAC ripping from multiple SCSI drives? That would be sweet...

(Plus arent plextor drives 'the best' for ripping?)

Thanks for the help and opinions...

-Jeff

P.s. does anyone else wonder how the hell they EVER lived without an empeg? God I ride in someone elses car and find myself constantly wanting my empeg...

#101256 - 25/06/2002 09:06 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
Squawkt22
journeyman

Loc: MA
Check out this thread Here.

#101257 - 25/06/2002 09:18 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Jeff,

About your Toshiba, I think you answered your own question by saying you still get pops... I'd disable C2 and check the "Drive caches audio" box. I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive I'm using and I heard that Toshiba drives are known to NOT support C2.

If you didn't find out how to generate folders for artist and album from the other thread, post here and I'll tell you. (I would now, but I'm currently ripping ).

Bonus, be sure to enable "upon extraction start compression in the background" and select 1 (or 2 if you have a fast machine). This will speed up your rips.

#101258 - 25/06/2002 09:36 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
....while also maintaining the ID3 tag info

#101259 - 25/06/2002 10:07 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: Squawkt22]
jbrinkerhoff

Damn, I SWEAR that's EXACTLY what I tried... And it didnt work.. I guess I'll give it another look-see tonight when I get home. I thought I saw a post SOMEwhere that had some syntax somethig like:

(%2) - (%3) _ (%4)

with the variables in SOME character. Cant remember if it was [ or { or something else entirely... Anyway, I will try just the \ embedded again...

Thanks.

BTW, anywhere I can find opinions on these older plextor drives? Thanks!

#101260 - 25/06/2002 10:33 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
anywhere I can find opinions on these older plextor drives?

This site has a lage list of different drives and their DAE speed, but the oldest Plextor I could find was the PX-12TS which has a DAE of 8x.

As for what to do with a stack of SCSI drives.....I am sure it is possible to run multiple instances of CD paranoia (linux) and extract from several of them at the same time - so you just sit there feeding in a CD every X/Y/Z minutes (where X is the average lenths of a CD in minutes, Y is the number of drives in use and Z is the extract speed 4).
Of course one gooe IDE drive would do fairly well against 8 of thoes SCSI drives.

#101261 - 25/06/2002 10:59 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

This is what I have: %A\%C\%A - %C - (%N) - %T

#101262 - 25/06/2002 12:02 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
jbrinkerhoff

OK! WOo, got it to work... Dont tell anyone, but I took some time out at work today and did a little test.

Threw an adaptec card into an older PC (450PII) and one of those plextor 4plexplus drives (external). Seemed to work well, extracted at 4x with all the "careful" options in EAC on. So, I hooked up SIX of them. Im now ripping six CDs all at once, most are still getting 3.8-4x. Not too bad. Gotta love SCSI sometimes. This is under win95 too, Im sure the multitasking under 2000 is FAR better.

The bottleneck, of course, will be the compression, but I dont really care. Those get queued up and I can let it compress all night. (Resists thoughts of using dual P4 server downstairs...)

So, apparently multiple copies of EAC will run just fine concurrantly, although under IDE I would think limiting things to two simultaneous is a good idea, and not even that if both CDs are on the same chain...

Just had to share. And thanks for the naming help!
-Jeff

#101263 - 25/06/2002 12:07 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

That is aweome! ... wow.

#101264 - 25/06/2002 13:49 Re: Using EAC to rip to Folders (Band name etc) [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Man, I was just playing with EAC last night and set it up to do this... I almost posted it as something people might be missing. I'm amazed it came up today... Anyways, for anyone that hasn't figured it out, make sure to specify directories in the file name section, not the directory section, and it'll work great.

Matthew