Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#102050 - 28/06/2002 09:40 Sync'ing up time/date on player?
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Hmm.. Since I'm new to programming, and I've messed with the setting time/date function in RH Linux, I thought I'd get opinoins 'bout this..
I notice that my Empeg, over a week or so, will lose serious time. This, in itself isn't a big deal for me (I rarly see the clock) but I'm guessing that at some point I may actually care what time it is, and then I won't be able to tell.

So, I figured since all music is sync'd up, why couldn't the date and time be done so as well?

Now, granted, I could compile and use a NTP client, and have my Empeg go out into the internet at home and grab the time, but I don't need all that.
I think it'd be easier just to have something run, or integrate it into the sync'in process.

Ideas? Comments?
Donations?

Mike.

#102051 - 28/06/2002 10:00 Re: Sync'ing up time/date on player? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If the empeg is losing serious time, it might be a bad capacitor in the player, or it might be the Stuck Jiffies bug.

What version of the software is running ont he player, and does it have a recent version of Hijack installed?

If it is running a beta version of 2.0 without hijack, then the time loss is almost certainly the stuck jiffies bug. Install Hijack and the bug will go away.

#102052 - 28/06/2002 10:30 Re: Sync'ing up time/date on player? [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
If its the stuck jiffies bug, the time should correct itself as soon as you reboot the player. If its losing time gradually then its something else.

Sean

#102053 - 28/06/2002 11:05 Re: Sync'ing up time/date on player? [Re: Terminator]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's not the way I understood it to work.

#102054 - 28/06/2002 12:20 Re: Sync'ing up time/date on player? [Re: tfabris]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Well, my first Empeg, which had serious problems, wouldn't even STORE the data/time.
I have HiJack installed (currently, version.. uh.. 275 - will upgrade in a sec..) but I was under the impression that a stuck jiffies locked up the play for the whole jiffies counter to roll over and reset? (I don't have the problem of "going into stanby by itself" - in fact, I have noticed that my player does opposite - several times now, I've put my player INTO standy, and later, have come out to the car to find it playing!)

I just reset y date/time, I'll periodically check it, see how long it takes to get off..

Mike.

#102055 - 28/06/2002 13:21 Re: Sync'ing up time/date on player? [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Heres how it works. There is a hardware timer that keeps the time on the board, when the empeg starts up, it reads the time and uses it to start its own clock. The jiffies bug stops the linux (non hardware) clock for 20 mins. The hardware clock is never changed and the empeg resets to the right time after a reboot. Looks like Mark is reading the boards today, he can clarify with the correct technical terms.

#102056 - 30/06/2002 16:55 Re: Sync'ing up time/date on player? [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Could you quantify serious? My main player has gained about 10 minutes in 2 months. Not that it's really a problem, I don't really use the clock unless it's randomly chosen as a visual.

Andy M