Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#105416 - 16/07/2002 16:41 2 DIN Install Help
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
i have a 2001 honda accord and a problem to go with it. the car originally came with a double DIN sized head unit (HU) and has since been banished from my dashboard. i installed an alpine HU last year and now i'd like to install a second HU (it's a pull-out; old school style with a new twist) since i have the space available. to install the alpine i drilled new holes in the factory brackets on each side so the alpine would sit in the center of the double DIN opening. now that i want to install a second head unit, i'm lost. those factory brackets aren't large enough for me to screw two HU's in them since they were meant to screw into the factory HU in the middle, then secured to the chassis. the metra and scosche kits are no use to me because they both leave me with a DIN slot in the upper opening but only 3/4 DIN sized opening on the bottom. i'm pretty handy with tools but i don't know where to begin. if i modify those kits they'll most likely become weak. have you seen anyone with a 6th gen accord with 2 separate DIN-sized HU's installed? any ideas? i saw the fellow on riocar.org with the same car but he had the OEM DIN slot and pocket below...maybe the metal brakets on those DIN-sized factory stereos be be better for me to use?

#105417 - 16/07/2002 16:49 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I understand correctly, your problem is that you're under the mistaken impression that your Accord dashboard is 2-DIN. If it's the model I'm thinking of, it's not. It's something like 1.75-DIN, so fitting two devices in there is going to be very tricky.

I recommend just an amplifier and the empeg. That's the way my accord is, and I love it. Trust me, you won't miss the CD player.

If you'd like to see what an empeg player looks like when installed into a 2000 Accord, click here to have a look at mine and see how I installed it.

#105418 - 16/07/2002 17:12 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

actually, we have the same car and i'll betcha 10 dolla that it's a double-DIN slot. i checked it today! the reason I WILL find a way to get them both in there is because my alpine has features up the ying-yang like time correction, built in crossovers for front/rear/subwoofer, digital harmonics enhancer, sub level control, 7 band EQ with 6 customizable presets, highest quality tuner (no RDS though), mute button, customized sound database, XM radio, and looks real nice too.

i saw your install. nice. btw, did you find a lens that matches your dash illumination? i figure the smoke one will be the closest...

#105419 - 16/07/2002 18:09 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, the smoke is awesome, it works perfectly and looks exactly right for my dash. Add to that the green or smoke illuminated buttons, and it's sublime.

#105420 - 22/07/2002 07:16 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: tfabris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
If the slot is anything like my 2002 CRV, it's the meanest possible interpretation of a double din slot possible! The Honda Head unit is deeper than the single Din size, but if you shave 2mm of the lip at the top of the slot, you can fit an Empeg in and, if you are careful in your choice, another din unit - I found a JVC fitted. The surrounds on many makes bring them back to oversize.

I fashioned a bracket to support at the back, topped with foam for silence and attached to the bulkhead with self tappers. I bonded the Empeg and the surround for the JVC together with a thin strip of 4mm plastic sheet and used the normal lugs to fix it in.

The Empeg is on top and, in the CRV at least I felt sure that the airspace was sufficient for cooling.

#105421 - 23/07/2002 06:53 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: boxer]
jets
enthusiast

got any pics?? its probably the same more/less and no worries. my other headunit isn't oversized at all...the trim ring fits horizontally perfectly.

#105422 - 23/07/2002 07:50 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: jets]
boxer
pooh-bah

Sorry, I didn't take any, I suppose I could take one, but it would only show you what two head units look like in a Honda dashboard.

I'm covering for the fact that I'm not computer literate, don't have a digital camera and wouldn't know how to put the pics. on the net- read my signature line!

However, don't let this make you think I'm not keen to help; If it's the same slot, the key thing to making it fit is trimming the plastic lip at the top so that one of your din units will fit snugly. I think that what I wrote previously is relativily clear, other than I should have written that I bound the EMPEG sled to the sled of the other unit with a 4mm thick strip of plastic, not the units themselves! Electrically, you need an adaptor from the Honda turquoise multiplug (unless they are different in the US) to the head unit you are using and a good clean connection for the Empeg power. I went straight to the battery and put a fuse in line.

I do agree with Tony, however, once you've used the Empeg, the trouble you've taken to get a CD player in is largely wasted. Empeg and a decent amp would also be my recommendation, with the tuner module. You can always use a portable CD player on the odd occasion. But I know you've invested big money in some really good Alpine kit.

The reason that I went to the trouble of making this installation is that my wife is the main user of the car and only uses the radio, except on the odd occasion that she buys a compendium CV whilst in the supermarket and wants to play it on the way home. I haven't bothered in my own car.

Now you wait until i've finished my motorhome installation; Relays, diodes CCTV cameras and everything except high tech!

Sorry I can't do a photo, but, again, don't think I'm not more than happy to give any advice should you get stuck with your installation.

Good grief, have I typed this much - sorry you've got to read it all!

#105423 - 23/07/2002 23:41 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: jets]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
Check you local honda dealer.
there is a part for a 98 or 99 maybe accord,
that's a kit for installing the add on tapedeck that was available then.
It mounts a single din just below the "double-din" area, pretty slick and it's like $20.

Then you can keep your empeg in the "double din" slot with a pocket below it in the dash
(i put my remotes in there) and your other unit tucks in right below, in that little cargo area.
I put my cd player / tuner down there, so the empeg would be more visible,
plus I use it the empeg much more.
Sorry, no picture available right now.

#105424 - 24/07/2002 08:01 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: dcosta]
jets
enthusiast

thanks for the comments boxer. right now i have no clue what i will do.

dcosta, i considered that but there is only one problem. i had honda install an ashtray/lighter combo in that exact area so that would have to mean i have no more ashtray. it really would be better there too...ah roadblocks everywhere. i suppose i could just quit smoking!

#105425 - 25/07/2002 01:14 Re: 2 DIN Install Help [Re: jets]
boxer
pooh-bah

Take up pipe smoking, you don't need the ashtray - I'm not going to kick the habit this late!