Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#107703 - 28/07/2002 02:45 Hijack RW/RO Bug
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
Hi

I think I just discovered a bug in the lastest Hijack in conjunction with the new beta version.
If I call http://empegip/?NODATA&RW and then http://empegip/?NODATA&RO the player crashes. (Core dumps on serial output)
There is no problem if I call the ro/rw script in a shell.

Hijack version:285
Player version 2.0b13

Can anybody confirm this bug?

#107704 - 28/07/2002 07:07 Re: Hijack RW/RO Bug [Re: alex25]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I think that this problem may be pre-beta, and possibly kernel related - I've seen it via shell command in v278 if I 'ro' quickly after 'rw'....I think that the drives do get remounted ro before the crash, although I haven't investigated this more thoroughly.

#107705 - 01/08/2002 08:36 Re: No Hijack Bug (Sorry Mark!) / Possible preinit bug [Re: genixia]
alex25

First of all sorry Mark. It seems that this bug has nothing to do with hijack.

But my problem is still the same:
I'm running the following application on my empeg:
empacman, telnetd, viewer, dynamic DNS client, prozilla (remote download manager). They are all installed in /programs0/. The www stuff is also located in this directory.

I found out that the problem only exists if I call the script to mount the /programs0 partition (through preinit). If I copy all the application to /drive0 and remove the mount script, all the applications runs fine. No problems with RO/RW command either.
The problem seems to be the preinit in conjunction with the mount script.

I tried it with two different players (mk2 and mk2a) with different results.

On the mk2 player I get a memory violation at boot time soon after executing the mount script. (Tracedump on serial console) After a timeout of preinit, I think 60 seconds the player software is starting up and everything is running. (The player software, Hijack, the user application, ...)

On the mk2a I get a memory violation if I call the RW/RO command through the webinterface. (Empeg completly dies until reboot) It's not depending on the time between the two commands.

Both players running 2.0Beta13, Hijack 291, Preinit v4

There seems to be another problem with the menu entries in hijack. I have entries for both the application empacman and viewer. But neverless which entry I choose, in both cases the viewer application is starting. Not sure if this is the applications or hijacks fault.

#107706 - 01/08/2002 15:37 Re: No Hijack Bug (Sorry Mark!) / Possible preinit bug [Re: alex25]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Maybe you're just running out of memory. Try adding some swap to the system in an early preinit script and see if it works better. Unless you have another spare partition somewhere, you'll need to use a swap file, and that file will need to be on a RW filesystem. So beware.

#107707 - 01/08/2002 22:36 Re: No Hijack Bug (Sorry Mark!) / Possible preinit bug [Re: wfaulk]
alex25

I don't think its a memory issue. I see the same effects if I only run telnetd and the mountscript.
But anyway I'll check my configuration once more and maybe if nothing helps I try to reinstall it from scratch.