Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#110441 - 11/08/2002 13:07 What to do in Northern California?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a vacation in California at the end of the month. We're around for 2 weeks, and we're going to spend 3 or 4 days in San Francisco at the start of the holiday. And then probably another day in SF before we fly back at the end of the holiday.

So, two questions:

1. What do you recommend we do while we're in SF?
2. What highlights of Northern California should we make sure we see in the remaining 9 or so days of our vacation? We're thinking Yosemite or Lake Tahoe. Any other suggestions?

#110442 - 11/08/2002 13:14 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
If the GF doesn't mind, I'm sure you could organise an impromptu empeg meeting. Loren lives in SF doesn't he? Mind you, if your GF is anything like mine then anything geek related would be grounds for dumping. I already know I'll be going to the europe meet next year on my own.

Andy M

#110443 - 11/08/2002 13:28 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: andym]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Did you miss the word "Vacation" in there? I'm not sure, but I don't think hanging out with a bunch of empeg owners would be his idea of a vacation.

On a side note, I'd recommend Roger visit the Napa Valley. There are a lot of interesting places to go, especially if you are a wine enthusiast. Funny enough that I work for a Wine Cellar Design company, and I have never, don't, and will not ever drink anything containing alcohol.

Also, a few places I'd recommend checking out for events, restaurants and the like:

http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/
http://www.napavalley.com/
http://www.copia.org/

Hope you have fun here!
ricin.us

#110444 - 11/08/2002 13:59 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Roger,

If you're looking to relax, definately check out napa valley; we did a 3-day getaway there last summer; ended up renting a speedboat/etc, had a blast there...

if you're looking for a nice one-day hike, check out Mount Tamalpais (here's my pics from there; it's beautiful, overlooking the bay area...) -
www. imagestation.com/album/?id=4291527525

In addition to the links mentioned above, definately check out the front page/planning guide/calendar on

http://www.sfstation.com <--this is actually my most trusted resource around here... (covers most the basis.. from city events (i.e. jazz festival right now), to nightlife...)

if you're looking to have a beer on me, drop me an email:)

-mark

#110445 - 11/08/2002 16:07 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
1. What do you recommend we do while we're in SF?

Well, having played the tourist there recently when I paid a visit to Pixar, I'd say... leave. I couldn't stand it, and it definately would have drove me nuts if I'd stayed any longer than I did. That's a complete flip-flop from what I thought of it on my first visit. Be prepared to pay through the nose for parking. That said, Fisherman's Wharf was kind of fun. Alcatraz would have been cool, but I didn't go over. Golden Gate bridge, of course. Drive down Lombard a couple times. Don't know about the rest of the tourist/museum type things -- that's about when I went nuts from all the traffic and congestion.

2. What highlights of Northern California should we make sure we see in the remaining 9 or so days of our vacation? We're thinking Yosemite or Lake Tahoe. Any other suggestions?

I haven't been to either of Yosemite or Tahoe (I'll be there second weekend in September for a mtb race, though). Driving South down Hwy 1 is very scenic (same with going North, of course). That goes through Half Moon Bay, which is where Maverick's is (if the surf is up, it has 40-100 foot waves -- a widely known break among surfers). There's a lot of little B&Bs along the hwy that are pleasant.

If you don't want to go all the way north to see the really, really, really big Redwoods, there's Big Basin Redwood state park, which still has really, really big redwoods. It's off Hwy 9 and Hwy 35, between SF and Santa Cruz. The drive itself was a ton of fun -- twisty, windy roads.

Basically, the way I look at it is... buy a map of NoCal, and head for the green spots.

Have fun.

#110446 - 11/08/2002 16:22 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I can't recommend Lake Tahoe more strongly. Just beautiful up there. Plenty of things to do during the summer including parasailing.

And while in San Francisco, Cobb's Comedy Club is always fun. Click here for a list of performers and dates. It's a little comedy club attached to a nice little Cajun restaurant on the waterfront. You make reservations for dinner and the show by calling (415) 771-5225. Then during dinner, they come up and get your payment for the $15.00 cover charge and reserve your seats in the club. A very nice and fun evening.

Napa valley is of course wonderful, as was already mentioned. Although there's not a lot to do there except wine tasting, but that's cool if you're into that.

We just got back from a very nice drive up the central coast, south of San Francisco. Our favorite spot to stay is the Best Western Cavalier in San Simeon. They light up their fire pits every evening on the bluff overlooking the sea. Just south of there is a place called Moonstone Beach with some fun natural tide pools. And of course, just to the north is Hearst Castle, which is a fun tour if you haven't seen it yet. Mainly we like it because the drive down Highway 1 is so gorgeouis, and because it's not very crowded, at least not compared to other beaches in California. For maximum effect, go mid-week.

#110447 - 11/08/2002 17:00 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    ... Hearst Castle ...
I wanted a house just like "Xanadu," but without a dorky name.

So what did you call it?

"Fort Awesome."

#110448 - 11/08/2002 22:15 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: wfaulk]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
Yosemite... definately. Also, what are you doing up north? Come down to Southern California after you go to yosemite for some of the good beaches

#110449 - 11/08/2002 22:16 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: jheathco]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
By the way, the improv at the Irvine Spectrum is a great comedy club..

#110450 - 11/08/2002 22:34 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
My short list of Must See's in SF and close surrounding areas.

Everyone mentioned Napa... that's a given.

1. Musee Mechanique.
Go there. Trust me. It's closing September 1st, and it's future is up in there air. It's a national treasure as far as i'm concerned. Hundreds of coin-operated automatic mechanical musical instruments and arcade games from the 1880's on. Simply amazing. While you are there you'll get to take in the Cliff House, the Sutro Baths, Ocean Beach, and the tip of Golden Gate Park... all within very close walking distance. An SF original for sure, that you won't see anywhere else on earth.

2. Twin Peaks overlook
The best view of the city, from the city. You can see all the bridges and an amazing overview of the city itself. On a clear day you can see the ocean, as well as across the city to the bay, Oakland, Berkeley, North to Marin, and South to San Jose. You also get a good tour of Castro on your way up if you take the Market St. Route. I take EVERYONE who's never been here there first. Here is a panorama i took from up there.

3. Marin Headlands
This is a good half day trip... could even be a 3 hour round trip if you want. It's awesome because you get to take in the Golden Gate Bridge from the best vantage point there is, as well as the rest of the bay, the Mouth of the bay including light house, and another amazing view of the city, Some old forts... i could go on and on. It's just over the Golden Gate, so it's close.Here is a shot from up there.

4. In the city... I'd stay away from Pier 39 just because it's such a tourist trap... with nothing you won't find elsewhere. Fishermans Wharf is another tourist trap, as is Ghiridelli (sp?) square. North Beach is pretty cool... tons of great food... and while you're there you can go up to Coit Tower for more amazing views. The Castro is always a good time if you want a little local flavor. There's so much... i'll stop here.
I like the non tourist off the beaten path stuff. Like... screw Lombard... that's not the real crookedest street. Here's the real one...

I've got tons more. Lemme know when your gonna be in the city and well go get dinner if you're interested. Email me.

#110451 - 11/08/2002 23:13 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
nt4show
new poster

Loc: Califonia
To the north of San Francisco would definitely be the wine tasting, In San Fran itself you might want to see the tourist sites of Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, the Exploratorium, Pier 39 , and the view from the top of the city by the radio towers gives you an outstanding view of the entire Bay area and all the bridges from the top. Or maybe while you are their, check out Pac Bell park and a Giants baseball game.

Driving east towards Lake Tahoe is a Budwieser refinery with free tours and drinking at the end in the city of Fairfield. Most Definitely see Lake Tahoe and for the Gambling stay at the South Shore Area. While there take a Paddle wheeler ride to Emerald Bay.

Heading out on Highway 50, go to Placerville (old gold Mining town) and then south through the hills toward Yosemite. A must to see.

100 miles south of San Fran is Monterey Bay, while there places to see are the Golf courses, Pebble Beach, Spy glass, or the white sand Beaches of Carmel Beach, Points of interest are Point Lobos, Big Sur, fisherman's Wharf,

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/ the pinnacles are sort of a Mini Yosemite, (west side) there is a site there formed by Earthquakes.
Well, that is a start, any questions drop me an email. It all depends on what you like to do, I can give you more detail, just email me.
Rob

#110452 - 12/08/2002 03:46 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I'd recomend yosemite, but be prepared for crowds. I won't go any more just because it's so overrun, but everyone should see it once. However, I've never been to lake tahoe, so...

In the city there's plenty to do depending on what kind of person you are... First off, don't rent a car for your days in san francisco. Between Bart, Muni, and the busses you can get anywhere you want. Take a taxi if you really have to, it'll be cheaper than parking when you get there...

Look for some nice restaurants to try. They don't have to be expensive, but spend some money on some of the ones that have good reviews... The Metreon is sony's idea of a movie theater, and I'd recomend catching something that won't make it over the pond for a few months one night. (Stadum seating rocks my world...) Walk through china town and north beach one afternoon, as they're close together and far better to see on foot. The exploratorium is fun, but very geeky.

Northern California wise, I'd say go to either Mendocino or Monterey. (Disclaimer, I'm from monterey). If you want to follow tony's adivce and go to san simeon, chose monterey as it's on the way... Monterey is a tourist trap in a lot of ways, but it's got some great restaurants, a lage aquarium, and plenty of nice Northern California beaches. NorCal and SoCal beaches are compleetly different experiences... we've got room and walk on ours and enjoy them, but theyr'e not the see-and-be-seen kind of places...

There was a thread a few months ago which I think covered most of this, you can probably dig it up...

Matthew

#110453 - 12/08/2002 07:32 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: matthew_k]
EDub
journeyman

There's too much to do in SF but if you get the time you should go see Beach Blanket Babylon at the Fugazi. These shows are classic, funny and very entertaining (acutally sat next to George Lucas when I was there).

Also is nice in SF is the Lincoln museum (next to golf course too!).
Be sure to eat at E'Angelos down on Lombard..great Italian food. (sat next to Joe Montana once).

About oh, 3-4 hours drive is Moaning Caverns in the Sierra Nevadas. You can do a fun quick rappel into the cavern and go spelunking with a guide(1-2 hours). Also visit the National Sequoias up past Angels Camp. You'll be amazed at the size of these ancient trees. Angels Camp is a quaint little touristy place too.

From SF you can drive an hour or two to Pt. Reyes National Seashore for some biking, hiking or beach combing. Great views!

(and yes, I was from SF & N. Calif)

#110454 - 12/08/2002 11:31 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: matthew_k]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
A heard in a recent newscast that Yosemite is experiencing a lull in attendance due to low international travel. I'm not local to the area so I don't KNOW this, just a comment. If its true it might make this an excellent time to go.

#110455 - 12/08/2002 14:04 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: Roger]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
After my week of training at a software vendor there, I tied one on, and I mean really tied one on at the Toronado Pub on Haight Street. The bathroom floor of the hotel room was very comfy and cool to the touch with the toilet nearby...
Then, with a hellacious hangover, I drove what I didn't think was going to be 4 hours to Chico to visit the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company where I found that 13 beers on the Sampler was way too many.
Those are my two must sees, a dive bar with the best beers in the world on tap and one of my favorite breweries.
Go to Yosemite though, I should have instead of pickling my liver...

#110456 - 12/08/2002 14:09 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: davec]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
a dive bar with the best beers in the world on tap

They don't seem to have Yuengling on tap or in bottles! I guess Yuengling is a privilege of living near PA. Yuengling is, without question, my favorite beer. Plus it's cheap.

#110457 - 12/08/2002 14:57 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: davec]
EDub
journeyman

Gotta love the Sierra Nevada Brewery. Spent a few years at Chico State.

#110458 - 12/08/2002 20:26 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: nt4show]
ricin
veteran

Geez, I live in Fairfield and completely forgot to mention the Jelly Belly Factory. They also give free tours and free jellybeans.
ricin.us

#110459 - 13/08/2002 08:54 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: ricin]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Wouldn't that be free Jelly Bellies? I think they frown upon being called jelly beans don't they?

#110460 - 13/08/2002 10:21 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: davec]
ricin
veteran

<shrug> Either way, they're good. MMmmmm.... Sugar....

Well, unless of course you get one of the weird flavors that should have never been thought of...
ricin.us

#110461 - 13/08/2002 10:40 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: ricin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
"Fred swears he got a bogie flavored one, once."

#110462 - 13/08/2002 11:58 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You know, Jelly Belly is making Bott's Every Flavor Beans. Bad flavors I'm aware of are earwax, spinach, dirt, vomit, grass, black pepper, sardine, and booger.

#110463 - 13/08/2002 19:33 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: ricin]
ricin
veteran

OH, forgot to mention Six Flags Marine World and if you go a little further souh, Paramount's Great America. That is, if you're into coasters, and the like, which I definitely am. I just wish I had enough free time and money to join one of the local Coaster Enthusiast groups. At least being 20-30 minutes from Marine World keeps me busy. Last season I was there three or more times a week (season passes are great, especially when you know someone, or in my case, many people, who work there. )
ricin.us

#110464 - 21/03/2003 12:57 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: wfaulk]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hate to resurrect this, but someone just brought me up a box of Bott's every flavor beans. I gotta say, they are amazingly accurate. At least they are with the one's I've gotten the nerve to try. We've got...
Banana, Black Pepper, Blueberry, Booger, Bubble Gum, Cherry, Cinnamon, Dirt, Ear Wax, Grape Jelly, Grass, Green Apple, Lemon Drop, Toasted Marshmallow, Buttered Popcorn, Sardine, Spinach, Tutti Fruitti, Vomit, and Watermelon.

So far I've tried (of the weird ones):
Black Pepper
Dirt
Grass
Sardine
Spinach

I just don't think I can handle Booger, Ear Wax, ir especially Vomit. Especially if they're as lifelike as the rest. -=shudder=-

#110465 - 21/03/2003 13:04 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: lectric]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Come on! You have to at least give them a try! Yes, they are pretty, uh, interesting... Of those I hit that you haven't listed yet:

Booger - slight shudder at the concept, but no discernable flavor.
Ear Wax - think Lemon Pledge and you are in the right area
Vomit - another slight shudder, and no, I don't want another - some kind of acidic flavor base

For those in the US, you can always go to Jelly Belly to try them...

#110466 - 21/03/2003 13:35 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: pgrzelak]
lectric
pooh-bah

OK... I accidentally tried a vomit. And I thought it was a tuitti Fruitti. Man. I couldn't get it out of my mouth fast enough. -=shudder=-

#110467 - 21/03/2003 22:36 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: lectric]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Heh. I've tried every flavour. What I want to know is how they developed the taste for those. Was there someone in the lab picking their nose and eating it, then eating a booger jelly bean for comparison? Did they get a 4 year old to do the taste test?

#110468 - 22/03/2003 06:01 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: canuckInOR]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
They had an oompa loompa doing the testing.

#110469 - 22/03/2003 11:47 Re: What to do in Northern California? [Re: canuckInOR]
lectric
pooh-bah

I had the same thought. That and "What poor sap had to taste hundreds of jelly beans until they got vomit juuuust right?". Then again, they'd get pretty immediate feedback from me. -=Chew=- -=Vomit=- Yep, they taste the same. Disgusting. And it figures. This post pushes me into Old Hand land. Typical.