Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111742 - 19/08/2002 06:29 Band of the Day
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
The Strokes. Many of you may dislike them, but I'm rather hopefull that these guys usher in the next big movement in rock. It's that simple for me.

I'm tired of the rap rock. I'm tired of the grandiose, Alice In Chains rip-offs like Creed and Nickleback (both of which Jerry Cantrell has toured with this summer, unfortunately).

These guys are playing stuff that's insanely catchy and cool, and I can really see it cathing on. With the help of bands like the Hives and the Vines, who knows, we may be seeing a new trend. Hopefully it's not just a fad.

So. Opinions? *ducking*

ps-if you haven't heard of these guys, you may have heard their songs on the radio a lot. "Last Nite" and "Hard to Explain" are their two big singles. I also suggest "Barely Legal", "Alone Together", and "Someday".

#111743 - 19/08/2002 06:40 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
[In Living Color's Men on Film]
Hated it!
[/In Living Color's Men on Film]

#111744 - 19/08/2002 07:23 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

So, you wish to insult one form of manufactured pop-rock in favor of another? I think I'll stick with Dream Theater, thank you.

By the way, I like Creed and Alice In Chains, too.

Edited by DeadFire (19/08/2002 07:24)

#111745 - 19/08/2002 07:27 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
bleh!

#111746 - 19/08/2002 07:38 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's not what I'm saying. If I've got to have something with such pop sensibilities, I'd rather have these guys. Plus, I simply enjoy the music. But that's just me.

Creed, on the other hand, I hate. I've never seen a band more full of themselves (well, that's mainly Stapp). I just can't stand 'em.

Believe me, if there were a chance in hell of my favorite bands becoming famous, that would be really cool! But be realistic, most of our favorite bands are not the mainstream type, and will never be overly popular.

If there's one band out there that I think may have a chance and is an excellent band, it would without a doubt be Queens of the Stone Age. But they have several obsticles in their way to becoming huge hits.

So to answer your question, YES. I would rather that. The bands now are incredibly tiring and boring. They're all ripping each-other off, and originally simply ripping off Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains...badly. Time for a change.

#111747 - 19/08/2002 09:17 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I really enjoyed Is This It?. I'm less enthralled with the rest of the garage thing that seems to have followed them (Hives, Vines, etc.), but, at the same time, I have a hard time finding the similarities that the media, et al. seem to find, and it's still more enjoyable than Limp Bizkit ever was.

And, in response to Justin, I'm not sure in what way the Strokes are manufactured. I'll admit that the album may be a little overproduced, but that hardly implies intentional fabrication. In fact, they existed and released an EP before they were signed to a major label.

#111748 - 19/08/2002 09:33 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The Hives are pretty good. They're album isn't as good as Is This It?, but there are some good tracks on it. The main thing I hope they stay away from in the future is their slow songs. Only one or two of those are good. Also, the whole band is embodied in their lead singer. the rest is really kinda bad. I saw them in concert and he was really cool. Very Cobain-esque. He literally lit and smoked a cigarette in the middle of a guitar solo.

Anyway, I'd like to echo the Bizkit comment.

Bitt, have you heard of Queens of the Stone Age? Like I said, they're fantastic. I saw them in concert at the begining of the summer (with Dave Grohl on drums), and I'm seeing them again on Friday. Can't wait.

#111749 - 19/08/2002 09:38 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
"if you haven't heard of these guys, you may have heard their songs on the radio"

The "radio"? With my Em[eg available? An interesting concept . . .

#111750 - 19/08/2002 09:42 Re: Band of the Day [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

With my Em[eg available?
For reasons I can't qualify or quantify at all, that's my favorite typo ever.

#111751 - 19/08/2002 09:45 Re: Band of the Day [Re: JeffS]
robricc
carpal tunnel

The "radio"? With my Em[eg available? An interesting concept . . .

Tell me about it. I really like Filter. The first time I heard they had a new album out was when someone was having trouble playing the tunes on his empeg.

Same thing happend with the new OLP album (which I really like DiGNAN17).

I have a tuner, but it is seldom used. When it is used, I listen to talk radio. I feel I may be missing out on some new music. The band I am into right now is called Skrape. The CD came out in October of 2001 and I just heard them a week ago.

#111752 - 19/08/2002 09:46 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Bitt, what's the UBBCode to indent. Last 100 times I looked in the BBS FAQ I couldn't find it. Thanks.

#111753 - 19/08/2002 09:53 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

have you heard of Queens of the Stone Age?
You've talked about them many times. It's obviously your favorite band for the past few years, and I've tried to find something to listen to, with no good results. What I have found I remember as being pretty boring, but, then, I probably just got ahold of the wrong thing. I do really like most of the bands they're borrowing people from, including Dinosaur Jr. (in a typically non-direct fashion, have you heard the new Jason Loewenstein album?), Foo Fighters, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, etc. (though Monster Magnet pretty well sucks).

Anyway, maybe you need to point me at something particularly good. Maybe I could borrow a cassette (or whatever today's equivalent of that might be ).

#111754 - 19/08/2002 09:55 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, you wish to insult one form of manufactured pop-rock in favor of another? I think I'll stick with Dream Theater, thank you.

No, he didn't say "Living Color", the band. He said "In Living Color", the comedy television program. He's referring to the two characters from the running sketch "Men on Film", which is two gay black men reviewing movies. Their catch-phrase line is "Hated it!".

I think the comedians are two of the Wayans horde (has Hollywood run out of Wayans brothers yet? We worked our way through the Sheens and the Baldwins already, haven't we?).

#111755 - 19/08/2002 09:56 Re: Band of the Day [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Bitt, what's the UBBCode to indent. Last 100 times I looked in the BBS FAQ I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Use the old HTML trick of doing a list, but without any item tags in the list.

edit: Let me clarify that I know you can't do HTML on the BBS. There is a list tag in the UBBcode that you can use.

#111756 - 19/08/2002 09:57 Re: Band of the Day [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just use [list] without any [*] items, which was suggested by Tony Fabris.

BTW, I created those without UBB interpreting them like: [[i][/i]list]

#111757 - 19/08/2002 10:04 Re: Band of the Day [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I think the comedians are two of the Wayans horde (has Hollywood run out of Wayans brothers yet? We worked our way through the Sheens and the Baldwins already, haven't we?).
One of them was certainly Damon. I don't remember who the other one was, now, but I think it was David Alan Grier.

In a remarkable tangent, you should check out Marlon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream, which should easily qualify for most unexpected great performance of the decade awards. Of course, make sure you're in the happiest mood you've ever been in before you see it, because otherwise, you'll break whatever beverage container you have lying around in order to slash your wrists three-quarters of the way through the film, and the really dark parts will have yet to come.

#111758 - 19/08/2002 10:17 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

maybe you need to point me at something particularly good.

Well, frankly I like everything of theirs, but again, tastes will vary. Their first album is still a lot like the stuff their old band did (Kyuss, "pioneers of Stoner Rock"), and their second album was a lot different. I think you're right, they do borrow a lot from other acts, but I think they do it pretty well. Plus, you can't avoid the Screaming Trees connection, seeing as Josh Homme played second guitar for them for the last few years of their existence, and hell, Mark Lanegan is in the band of course Anyway, here's some songs that I tend to like of theirs:

Regular John
Avon
Mexicola
The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
Better Living Through Chemistry
In the Fade (Lanegan on vocals. fantastic)

Just to reiterate, my favorite band: Screaming Trees. My favorite artist: Mark Lanegan. I love everything that he and they have done. If there's fans out there, check out the song "High Noon Amsterdam" by Masters of Reality. That song is incredible.

#111759 - 19/08/2002 16:03 Re: Band of the Day [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

That isn't what I was referring to.

#111760 - 19/08/2002 16:05 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, sorry. I was viewing the thread in flat mode and didn't notice who the reply was addressed to.

#111761 - 19/08/2002 16:09 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
DeadFire
addict

Well then perhaps manufactured was the wrong word. In fact now I'm sure of it. They just remind me of so much other general pop music out there that all sounds the same to me. I'm not saying everything I listen to is unique and special. I guess I just don't like pop music. I do respect them for being an actual band, though. Instrumental talent is important to me. I suppose I just get sick of catchy tunes after a while.

#111762 - 19/08/2002 16:10 Re: Band of the Day [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

It's ok. I've done it, too. I should really get into the habit of quoting exactly what I'm responding to.

#111763 - 19/08/2002 16:15 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

Creed, on the other hand, I hate. I've never seen a band more full of themselves (well, that's mainly Stapp). I just can't stand 'em.

They weren't always full of themselves. I bought the second album solely on merit. The first was great. And that album (My Own Prison) was released twice. In 1996 it could only be found in Florida, where they're from. But in 1997, after they were signed, it was re-released by Wind-up. I don't love the second album, but it's ok. The third I've heard a few songs from, but only liked one, and so haven't bought it.

As for Stapp being full of himself... I don't disagree. I think it might be why the original bassist left last year.

#111764 - 19/08/2002 16:15 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Odd. They sound fairly fresh to me, in that they're recycling stuff that's twenty years old instead of stuff that's twenty minutes old.

Out of curiosity, what new stuff are you listening to these days, just so I can get an idea of where you're coming from.

#111765 - 19/08/2002 16:54 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
DeadFire
addict

I'm really not listening to new stuff. Well I suppose the latest release from Dream Theater is new, being that it only came out in I think February. Um, other than that, the only thing I play often is TOOL. The rest is actually all radio rock from recent years, really. There are some variations, but nothing new. I got sick of commercial radio. There won't be much new stuff in my collection until I settle on a way to get new music without having pop culture shoved down my throat.

XM, maybe?

#111766 - 19/08/2002 18:20 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, I'll give you that. I actually somewhat enjoyed the song My Own Prison. It was pretty good without shoving the religion down your throat.

But these days, I hear Creed, Nickleback, The Calling, and my least favorite, Staind, and I hear absolutely no difference. The singer from the Calling might be the one that to me sounds the most like everyone else. Like I said, it seems like they're all trying to sing like Eddie Vedder, attempting to pull off weak harmonies like AIC, and failing at both. That and the lead singer from Staind is the most boring showman I've ever seen on stage.

I had to sit through horrible bands on the Family Values Tour just to see Stone Temple Pilots. What's his name? Aaron Lewis? He just walked slowly back andforth the entire time, "singing" without much effort, and generally incredibly boring. Of course everyone loved it because they were there to see them. I can't imagine what all those people thought about Scott Weiland with all of his gyrations and jumping around on monitors and stuff. Hell, at the end he stripped bare-ass naked and dressed himself in the American flag. I wonder what the goths though of it

Anyway, sorry to rant, but this happens to be one area I'm a bit over-opinionated in Sorry to vent here

The Strokes album I'd have to say is a bit overproduced (I don't always like what they did with the vocals, and the drums are pretty crappy sometimes), but I still like the music.

DeadFire, I sugest you get a live recording of them sometime. I find that I like the live recordings waaaay better. Their performance on Saturday Night Live for example, was really clean and great.

Believe me, I'm not one for new stuff. Pretty much everythign I listen to could be classified as "grunge" and it's immediate offspring. The only bands I listen to regularly that are still playing are Queens..., Tuatara, Mark Lanegan, and Our Lady Peace. Of course, OLP isn't exactly grunge, but they're an exception. Frankly, I want a tuner just to have one. Plus I can get traffic reports and when I'm in the DC area I can listen to Don & Mike. I hate commercial radio in general. If I listen to rock radio, it's DC101 which today actually played "All Along the Watchtower" which gained them a little more respect from me

#111767 - 19/08/2002 18:23 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Just want to clarify something here. Mark Lanegan doesn't do a damned thing on stage. He hugs the mic stand in the exact same way every time he's on, he rarely opens his eyes, and he just stands like that the whole time he's on. The difference between him and Aaron Lewis? A hell of a lot of talent and a hell of a lot of voice.

Never heard Screaming Trees or Mark Lanegan? I implore you to get ahold of the sone "Troubled Times". Please, do it for rock

#111768 - 19/08/2002 18:46 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If I listen to rock radio, it's DC101 which today actually played "All Along the Watchtower" which gained them a little more respect from me
The Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, U2, or some other version? One of the last times that I listened to the radio around here was when they played the U2 version and the DJ announced it as their cover of a Jimi Hendrix song. This, I believe, was the same station that awarded Yes their Best New Rock Band award the year ``Owner of a Lonely Heart'' was a hit. [sigh]

#111769 - 19/08/2002 18:54 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This, I believe, was the same station that awarded Yes their Best New Rock Band award the year ``Owner of a Lonely Heart'' was a hit.

To be fair, that album was essentially a new Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if the radio station did the award as a joke. I consider the albums with Howe and Bruford to be a different band than the albums with White and Rabin. Both good, but in different ways.

And I even like the transitional album between the two ("Drama") which is barely Yes at all but still manages to capture the essence of Yes.

#111770 - 19/08/2002 19:04 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

It was the Hendrix version. I didn't hear any colorful commentary on it as immediately afterwards they went to commercial. That's why we have empegs.

#111771 - 19/08/2002 19:15 Re: Band of the Day [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If it was a joke, it was solely for their own benefit. And knowing the mentality of some of the DJs at the time, that doesn't seem like a great possibility.

I was trying to remember if it might have been a different song (I don't think so), so I was reading the AllMusic entry on them. I have never read such a fawning, sychophantic essay in my life. It's like he was getting paid per cubic meter of smoke blown up my ass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >