Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111772 - 19/08/2002 19:20 Re: Band of the Day [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Holy cow! That is one of the longest bios on any artist I've seen on AllMusic! Damn! I'm definitely not reading that, but I can see what you mean. Hell, it's as long as the Beatles' bio. Not that length is a determining factor, but on that site it often is.

#111773 - 19/08/2002 19:29 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just read it, and I don't see it as being particularly smoke-blowing. It's an accurate portrayal of their history and a pretty straightforward description of their music and the reason they were successful.

Of course, I could see how someone who thought they sucked could be put off by it.

It's just that their history is so complicated, it needs that many words to properly tell it.

#111774 - 19/08/2002 19:31 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, just check out this last paragraph:
    By the mid-'90s, even longtime detractors of progressive rock, who loathed the band's early-'70s album-length musical excursions, conceded that Yes is the best of all the bands in their particular field of endeavor in what they do. The group continues to sell CDs in large quantity -- in 1995, Atlantic Records issued upgraded, remastered versions of the group's classic 1960s and '70s albums -- even as the work of many of their one-time rivals are consigned to the cut-out bins, and their periodic tours, as well as numerous solo albums (especially by Wakeman, and lately by Anderson and Howe), are taken very seriously by fans and critics. Today, their music of almost every era is regarded by fans with undiminished enthusiasm, and by their critics as respectable attempts at doing something serious with rock music.
First, I love the fact that he refers to other prog rock bands as their ``rivals'', as if they were fighting for market dominance. Hell, they ``competed'' against themselves (in the guise of ABWH, GTR, Asia, etc.) as much as with Genesis or King Crimson. And it's fortunate how they crushed their ``competition'' down into the bargain bins -- not that Genesis, for example, didn't also just get a remastering. Not to mention the abject toadying. Aargh.

#111775 - 19/08/2002 19:33 Re: Band of the Day [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Come on. I like Yes as much as the next guy, but reread that last paragraph (quoted in my prior post). I'm pretty sure that ... uhhh ... Bruce Eder likes them a lot more than the average guy. I think he might be hinting around for a little Jon Anderson fellatio or something. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. )

#111776 - 19/08/2002 21:15 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

DeadFire, I sugest you get a live recording of them sometime. I find that I like the live recordings waaaay better. Their performance on Saturday Night Live for example, was really clean and great.

Well, if I didn't like the studio version, I don't see how I'm likely to like the live version. I try to keep an open mind. I listen to something new and decide whether or not I like it. And to me, Last Night seemed like a song way too focused on being catchy than saying something or displaying talent. So I decided I didn't like The Strokes.

I suppose I have a problem with the industry or the way radio works more than I have a problem with pop music. I may very well end up following only local music in certain genres just to avoid having stuff crammed down my throat by radio and TV.

That is, until I get XM, which will likely be the only way I hear new music in the future. Right now I have to actively look for it, since I hate radio.

#111777 - 20/08/2002 06:22 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well hey, you just said you dismissed the band based on one song

Honestly, I do like the Strokes, and I like the performance of Last Nite on SNL a lot more than the one on the album.

That isn't their best song, it's just the most catchy. You have to understand that the commercial radio that we all hate can do this to some people. They'll latch onto whatever song sounds the most catching and exploit the hell out of it, until you think the band has no other song. Most people will never try to hear anything else of theirs.

On Stone Temple Pilots' latest album, the only single was "Days of the Week", which is my least favorite song on the album. I very much dislike that song, but that's all that anyone heard.

Check out "Barely Legal" by the Strokes. My girlfriend also doesn't like them, and I want her to hear some of the other songs as well.

#111778 - 20/08/2002 07:32 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

Well hey, you just said you dismissed the band based on one song

I know that I did. And as for the rest of what you said, I actually agree. I have some albums from bands that had a very popular song that was played on the radio over and over, and I tend to skip that song when listening to the album. More often than not, my favorites have not been radio tunes.

But of course, if I buy a new CD and pick a favorite, 6 months down the road it's the new single.

But the one thing I think is important in this kind of debate is NOT to attempt to convince other people to listen to what you like. As far as The Strokes go, I have already made my decision. I can certainly change that decision in the future, and have done so before about other bands. But I will not go and actively search for songs by them.

Suggesting a band is fine. But repeatedly plugging them in an attempt to get people to just give up and listen, which is what it appears you're trying to do with me, is not the way to go.

#111779 - 20/08/2002 08:21 Re: Band of the Day [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

No no, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't want to force someone to listen to something I liked. I just thought that since you had based your opinion on them with one song that I didn't feel was totally representative, I was suggesting one song for you to check out. Suggesting one song is hardly forcing you to listen to it.

One of my best friends listens to a lot of stuff that I just can't get into, but I listen to a few songs he suggests to get a good idea of what the band is about before I dismiss them entirely

#111780 - 20/08/2002 08:25 Re: Band of the Day [Re: Dignan]
DeadFire
addict

I don't have a problem with the suggestion itself... just hearing it repeatedly, that's all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2