Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11251 - 13/07/2000 19:54 Equallizer User Interface is WRONG!
doug316
journeyman

I can't believe the EQ user interface is still the way it was 6 months ago. When you want to move the cursor DOWN, you should press DOWN. Sorry, the EQ user interface is NOT intuitive and there's no justification for navigating the menus this way.

PLEASE fix this or provide a 2nd mode that I can set to make it work the logical way.

#11252 - 15/07/2000 11:22 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: doug316]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hi, Doug. Long time no see. I take it this means you've got your MK2 now? Congrats.

FWIW, the user interface for the EQ does take some getting used to, but once you've messed with it a bit, it's not a problem. Remember that they've got a limited number of buttons to work with.

Are you adjusting the EQ from the front panel or from the remote? And if from the front panel, does the rotary knob allow you to adjust the EQ parameters?

#11253 - 18/07/2000 09:17 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: doug316]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The EQ user interface is consistant with the rest of the player software, although I agree that this doesn't necessarily make it intuitive. I can't say I've ever had a problem using it, but then, I use the remote control 99% of the time.

A quick mail search on "EQ" doesn't reveal any other complaints to empeg.com about this but maybe people have been too shy to say anything. That's a shame as we've printed rather a lot of user guides now.

I just had another play with the EQ using the buttons, and I have to say that I think it is intuitive, given the limitations of the panel controls. Left/Right always move between menu items - if you want up/down to do the job in the EQ then moving between EQ bars is going to become unintuitive and consistancy with the rest of the player will be forfeit.

Rob

#11254 - 18/07/2000 10:43 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: doug316]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Aw, come on Doug, don't mess about - say what you really feel...

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#11255 - 18/07/2000 22:13 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: rob]
teemcbee
addict

You could turn the EQ-bars on the visuals 90 degrees then everything would be alright

TeeMcBee

#11256 - 23/07/2000 18:44 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: rob]
doug316
journeyman

Actually, consistency here is a matter of perspective. If you are saying left and right navigate the menus elsewhere, that's because the menus are oriented left to right on the display. I am defining consistency by having the direction the cursor will move on the screen be cause by the corresponding button and not some other button.

Let's be realistic. Human Interface Design 101 will tell you an intuitive interface is #1 priority. This is a big inconsistency here. I need to mentally translate and think about which button to use when I am moving between the eq bars back over to the menu, and then up and down through the menus. Sure, you can "get used to this" but what's the point? If you use up and down to navigate the menus, up from the top exitting the mode, and left or right from the menu going over to the eq bars, it will be very intuitive.

#11257 - 23/07/2000 23:01 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: doug316]
corby
journeyman

I just started monkeying around with the equaliser interface myself, which was a bad idea. Not being much of an audiophile, the 'Flat' setting was perfectly fine for me for six months. Now it seems totally unbearable.

So I have made different presets for when the top is up, the top is down, and when I have passengers in the back. Is there any way to take advantage of those handy numbered presets and switch between them without manually navigating the menu to the 'Equaliser' settings?

Corby
MK I, SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#11258 - 24/07/2000 01:39 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: doug316]
rob
carpal tunnel

If I understand correctly you want this:

Up/Down : Navigate through the menu
Left/Right : Move out of the menu and navigate through the EQ bars

So how do you select a menu item?

Rob

#11259 - 24/07/2000 02:00 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: rob]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
yust move out of the eq display either way
(down:dimm-light,down:EQ-menu,left:activate EQ-Menu "EQ1",left:"EQ2",right:"EQ1":right:exit EQ-Menu)

aux-level
dimm-light
EQ-menu [EQ1 EQ2 EQ3 EQ4 -- EQ10 ] menu
visual
bla
bla

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->GPS)(USB->Bluetooth)(USB->You name it)

#11260 - 24/07/2000 04:37 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: Mark Petersen]
rob
carpal tunnel

Ermm... if up and down move you within the menu, and left and right move you to the EQ bars, I still don't see how you select something from the menu, without having to press and hold (which would not be good).

Rob

#11261 - 24/07/2000 11:40 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: corby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Not being much of an audiophile, the 'Flat' setting was perfectly fine for me for six months. Now it seems totally unbearable.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have an initiate audiophile here. Let us welcome him among our ranks.

Isn't that EQ awesome? I love the fact that I can tailor the sound without having to buy a separate outboard EQ module. Remember that each preset has a "home" and a "car" personality. You can only adjust the car's EQs in the car, and the home EQs when it's running off of AC power.

Is there any way to take advantage of those handy numbered presets and switch between them without manually navigating the menu to the 'Equaliser' settings?

Not right now. Good idea, though. Are there any numbers left on the remote? We could all fight over what the remaining numbers should do on the keypad, or they could make it configurable...

#11262 - 24/07/2000 18:18 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
We could all fight over what the remaining numbers should do on the keypad, or they could make it configurable...

Bettter yet would be the ability to assign any two (in-car, and home) of the 16 presets to individual songs in the empeg.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#11263 - 24/07/2000 19:23 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: rob]
doug316
journeyman

My mistake, left/right can't move to the EQ bars. Moving down from the last item could send you over to the EQ bars. Left/right should select between options at the current cursor position. Moving off the bottom should move you over to the EQ bars with down, sort of like how Right does now.

I am making a bigger deal out of this, but there's not much else to pick on! :)

#11264 - 25/07/2000 05:34 Re: Equallizer User Interface is WRONG! [Re: doug316]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I am making a bigger deal out of this, but there's not much else to pick on!

It takes some work to nit-pick this thing hey!

there are several things with the interface that aren't exactly intuitive, and that's on the general scale. Even Rob has admitted that, but he also states that they have a limited number of options.
The EQ is not the kind of thing you should be tweaking regularly anyway. for the afternoon you spend tuning the system, you get to know it pretty well. While it may be 'unintuitive', full parametric EQs usually are; you generally need to know pretty well exactly how to operate it to use it the best. But it does its function very well.
Once you've spent the time tuning and tweeking, you really don't need to play with it. So, while you may find it cumbersome, it really doesn't need a lot of regular work.

I personally find it difficult to manage, but not throught any fault of the UI. I would prefer to see what the curve looks like. (use cool edit pro - para.EQ for this!)
Maybe it is one of those things which can be brought into Emplode. Better yet, how about custom settings wich you can put into the 15 presets. If they were separate files, you could send and swap them. But this is wish list stuff.

I use the remote for editing BTW. the front panel buttons are quite difficult and the dial hasn't been fully enabled yet.

Murray 06000047