Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#123168 - 01/11/2002 10:51 Re: Player longevity [Re: Lupo]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Nope. I've had mine in a slammed Civic set on super hard ride for over 2 years. No problems.

#123169 - 01/11/2002 10:53 Re: Player longevity [Re: Lupo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As I probably am going to buy a RIOCar, I have a question concerning using the player in a lowered car: Are there any isuues known? Like the nipple on the display?

I assume you mean because a lowered car rides rougher than it would if it had the original factory suspension?

You probably won't have any problems. I wouldn't worry about the display breaking, for example. The player is designed to tolerate moderate intermittent vibration.

However, if you have a constant severe vibration, it will prevent the disk drives from being able to keep the cache filled and probably shorten the life of the disk drives. I can think of only two reports of this having been a problem:

1) User tried to use the player inside the cabin of the vehicle in an SPL (sound pressure level) competition. He was hoping that the shock-mount and the disk caching would allow him to skirt the usual requirement of having the CD player on an extension cable. Didn't work. Player would skip and stutter once the cache ran out because the hard disks couldn't survive the abuse.

2) User had a bad tire which made the car constantly vibrate while driving.

But a properly-maintained car, even a lowered one, should be OK as long as it doesn't ride TOO rough.

Even so, if your car rides rough, you should probably get in the habit of opening the player once in a while, and making sure the shock mounts and drive cables are all properly connected and aren't working loose from vibration. There are pictures of how the shock mounts can sometimes get disconnected here.

#123170 - 01/11/2002 12:31 Re: Player longevity [Re: Lupo]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
I have had mine in my powerboat in some ruff water. My car is lowered 1.5” (3.8cm) and the boat is MUCH harder than any pothole, no troubles.

Not sure this was the best thing to promote Player longevity, but it certainly works better than CDs.

#123171 - 01/11/2002 12:55 Re: Player longevity [Re: tfabris]
Lupo

Loc: AC, Germany
Thanks for the replies!

So I shouldn't have too much problems in my Lupo, the rattle still depends where I'm driving. If it's on luxembourgish or german motorways everything is fine, but on some belgian ones...oh dear! I guess if I shut down the player where there is much rattle, there shouldn't be any problems at all with the HardDisks as they aren't working anyway. I would only have to check the connections as you said.

So now I hope to get my relatives convinced too...They aren't so happy about the fact I'm buying the player over the net :-( It seems it is an unit bought when they were really cheap, just before the shop was closed; it was never installed, just checked if everything is okay. Should be okay, I presume.

#123172 - 05/11/2002 22:39 Re: Player longevity [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
If you still have a radio, then you can find new music

Yeah, but it'll be crappy music.

Unless you live somewhere that has a decent radio station (something I haven't heard of in many years).

There are two radio stations in LA that I consider decent: K-Mozart, and KCRW, a college/NPR station (they simulcast on the web, and have complete playlists available online). Come to think of it, KCRW is really the only reason why I want one of pca's tuners...

#123173 - 06/11/2002 22:01 Re: Player longevity [Re: canuckInOR]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
As always, college (and public) radio is the only reason that Frequency Modulation should continue to exist. Well, unless it's used for some high tech science experiments or something...

#123174 - 07/11/2002 08:03 Re: Player longevity [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Are you saying that if I started a really cool FM station, that it shouldn't exist? (BTW, I've wanted to do this for years, but never had the balls, or wherewithal, to follow through in any way.)

#123175 - 07/11/2002 13:52 Re: Player longevity [Re: wfaulk]
TigerJimmy
old hand

No, but I think he is saying that you, and people like you (except for college students), haven't done it.

#123176 - 07/11/2002 20:32 Re: Player longevity [Re: TigerJimmy]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Well, I wasn't really saying that, haha. In fact, stations tend to be coolest when they first first start. 103.5 WKTU out of NYC was great for pop dance music when it first changed format back in the summer of 2001. They didn't have many (if any) DJ's and simply only played dance music all the time.

Another great story is that of Party 93.1 in South Florida. I was visiting the Keys when that station first started. They had NO DJ's and, thus, very little expense. Thus, they had only like 1 commercial per hour (aside from some lame 7 second blurbs about how cool they were). The rest of my 3 days there were filled with non-stop pop dance music that was so current, it didn't make it on to any other station I heard for up to three months. I strongly recommend checking out party931.com to listen to their crappy stream of their blazing beats.

So, if you're gonna start up a radio station, don't hire any DJ's do you can keep costs low and not need commercials. Hell, just hook your empeg up to a 1,000 Watt tower and you're good to go!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2