Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#126561 - 21/11/2002 16:12 Re: Prerecorded TTS and the empeg [Re: AndrewT]
ilDuce
journeyman

yeah.... me too..... this is my output:
./B10tts: [: &day: integer expression expected
Saved AC volume was 86
Volume=86
cat: /drive0/var/tts/21th.pcm: No such file or directory

The path is correct.... My guess is that youve kinda forgot that date?

#126562 - 21/11/2002 16:31 Re: Prerecorded TTS and the empeg [Re: ilDuce]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I think that B10tts has a typo:

There seems to be a simple typo in this line which I guess is making the test NE and fall through to the Else statement:
if [ "$day" -gt 20 ] && [ "&day" -ne 30 ]

I'll try it later if I can remember how to drive Joe/Vi/whatever-it-is-editor

#126563 - 21/11/2002 20:18 Re: Prerecorded TTS and the empeg [Re: AndrewT]
Chuck

That fixed it. Thank you for having a good eye.

-Chuck

#126564 - 22/11/2002 08:36 Re: Prerecorded TTS and the empeg [Re: Chuck]
ilDuce
journeyman

yeah... that solved mine too....
I have installed Tonys modified kernel with the audio overlay patch... I also renamed B10tts to M10 tts to get it to read while playing... it worked.... But its lots of lag.... it speaks... then the player takes over.... then it speaks again..... and so on.... I guess its a question of priority..... but how do i change tha?

#126565 - 23/11/2002 19:44 Re: Prerecorded TTS and the empeg [Re: DomoKun]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I'd really like to have the Audrey (UK English) voice from naturalvoices.com for my TTS - can you give me any tips please, especially on how I convert sound to PCM format in Windoze and sample rates etc?

TIA.

#126566 - 23/11/2002 20:58 Re: Prerecorded TTS and the empeg [Re: AndrewT]
DomoKun
journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania
I used the program Cool Edit 2000 from www.cooledit.com to write all the PCM files, although I'm sure there are many other programs that can do it also. When you save your PCM files you just need to make sure they are 44.1khz 16-bit stereo. You can open up and listen to the PCM files I created in cool edit in order to find out everything that needs to be recorded. If you setup your windows audio mixer to record "wave" or "what you hear" you can record the output of any program into cool edit. Then you can clip out parts of audio in order to get each word into seperate files.

And I have a few tips as to how to make it as natural sounding as possible. I didn't just record "Today is. Monday. November. Twenty. Third..." I recorded "Today is Sunday January 1st" and then "Today is Monday February 2nd" and then "Today is Tuesday March 3rd" and so on. I extracted the phrase "Today is..." from a sentence that had more words after it. I extracted "Monday" from a sentence that had words before and after monday. I extracted "January" from a sentence that had words before and after it. The engine, like humans, pronounce words differently if it is part of a full sentence instead of just reading the word. To further illustrate this, play my recorded november.pcm file all by itself and it will sound weird, without conclusion, as if it didn't finish its breath and is expecting to say more. But I didn't do this for the numbers so you can record "One. Two. Three..." without making it part of a full sentence.

Since this program is just a collection of 72 prerecorded audio files, it is certainly possible for someone to record their own voice instead of the computer synthesized voice. That would sound so much better then any TTS voice could and I think it would be real cool if someone did that.

BTW, I posted r5 of the TTS Clock at www.zabaware.com/empeg and I mentioned it on the general forum instead now as I think all the bugs have been removed and I included an automatic ftp installation script.

#126567 - 06/12/2002 04:55 Re: TTS Clock r2 [Re: tms13]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
In reply to:

However, reading from config.ini to set TZ in the environment for other programs is probably reasonable for add-on programs, unless we can discover where the player stores its setting.

That last sentence is a challenge to someone, I hope.

Well, I don't know why nobody's suggested it yet, but there already is a timezone setting in the config.ini, at least for some people. When Mark Lord added a clock display to Hijack, he had the same problems not being able to get the timezone. So, he simply added an entry to config.ini where you could define the timezone.

The entry is:

[hijack]
time_offset=xxx
where xxx is the number of minutes positive or negative of UTC.

For example, mine reads
time_offset=-420
for Mountain Standard Time.

For Domo Kun's program, he should just scan config.ini for that setting, and use it when present.

#126568 - 06/12/2002 07:21 Re: TTS Clock r2 [Re: adavidw]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

But this wouldn't take account of DST.

Setting TZ and TZDIR appropriately in the shell script works.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4