Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#135973 - 19/01/2003 16:33 Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC...
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
... and when doing this I want to maintain the playlist/directory structure.

See, I've always kept a copy of all my mp3's on my PC. I always assumed that those files were a perfect "image" of all my music on my Empeg.

Today I noticed that there are several gaps in my collection on my PC. So the only thing I've got now on which my collection is still complete is my Empeg. I have no idea how this could have happened. It's also not really important right now. (I'm still betting on an error on my part since I'm the only person using this PC) Fact is that it has happened and that I want to fix this ASAP.

Rather than hand-picking each track that is missing and copying it from the Empeg back to the PC, I figured I'd just copy my entire Empeg's contents back onto an empty harddisk in my PC. Sure, it'll probably take longer (one or two days I guess), but there will be A LOT less manual labour involved that way.

So basically I want to put a new harddisk in my PC, connect my Empeg to it and then copy the Empeg's entire contents onto the empty harddisk, creating the correct directories (playlists) wilst doing so.

I've just spent half an hour searching through the FAQ for more info on this topic since I could swear that I've seen this question on these boards before. Unfortunately, all I could come up with are methods of keeping the PC files perfectly synched with the Empeg and downloading track-per-track from it. Nowhere have I found info on how to do this whilst maintaining the playlist structure.
A little voice in the back of my head tells me that this is possible with Jemplode, but I have no idea why I'm thinking this. Maybe it's something I've read on the topic a long time ago or maybe it's even totally untrue and I'm confusing this with something entirely different.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

#135974 - 19/01/2003 16:38 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: BartDG]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I know you can download individual files with regular emplode now. You can grab from the top of the tree and, if I remember correctly, it will build the subtrees beneath. It has been a while, but when I got my new PC, that was how I populated my music drive there. Took a while, but it was automatic, and happened while I was in the office.

#135975 - 19/01/2003 16:58 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: pgrzelak]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Hi Paul!

I've just tried this with a small playlist with only one subfolder, but all the files get copied to the PC in the same folder. No subtrees get created.

I've just clicked "download" on the top of the tree, did I do something wrong?

#135976 - 19/01/2003 17:33 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: BartDG]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not sure about Emplode but Jemplode does it...

- Trevor

#135977 - 19/01/2003 17:40 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: tman]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Hm. I thought it worked. But it was a little while ago, and I then used MP3 Tag Studio to fix my tags and autorename... Give jemplode a shot.

Worst case, if you still have trouble, you can download them to the hard drive and use another tool to reset the directory structures based on tags.

#135978 - 20/01/2003 12:01 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: BartDG]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I did this when my PC's mp3 hard drive crashed. Using Emplode b13, I just clicked download on all the playlists, or something. I forget.

But the reason I reply is this: Emplode recreates the file names based on the tags. So, if you had track number information in the filename when you uploaded it, it'll be gone when you download. I mean, sure, use Tag&Rename to fix all the tags, but for me, that was too much of a pain in the ass. I just used GetDataBack on the dead hard drive to recover the music.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the filenames get jacked when coming down off the empeg.

#135979 - 20/01/2003 12:36 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: FireFox31]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
far as i remember, just right click on the top of your tree in JEMPLODE and select download. Should build the tree for you.

#135980 - 20/01/2003 12:38 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: FireFox31]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
So, if you had track number information in the filename when you uploaded it, it'll be gone when you download.

Only if you didn't put it in the ID3 tags, or didn't fix it up on the player itself.

emplode formats the filename as album - tracknr - artist - title.mp3 (or .wma). You can use Tag&Rename or similar to put the tags back from the filename.

Any tags that were in the file originally are preserved. Any changes you made with emplode aren't written to the tags, just to the database.

So, it's only any good for retrieving those tags. If you're bothered at all about the other tags (and I'm not, with the possible exception of year), use JEmplode, it's more configurable in this area.

#135981 - 21/01/2003 13:04 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: Roger]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Thanks a lot for the info ! I've tried Jemplode and it does a great job at it!

#135982 - 22/01/2003 18:41 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: BartDG]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Always good to hear Usually people only post the problems ...

ms

#135983 - 23/01/2003 12:48 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: mschrag]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
i'll echo his success with Jemplode... i use it a LOT for copying stuff back to my PC. Best thing since sliced bread!

#135984 - 23/01/2003 14:24 Re: Want to copy my Empeg's contents back to my PC... [Re: mschrag]
Redrum
old hand

I put off downloading JEmplode because I don't like Java apps in general, but last week I finally downloaded it so I could create some boot animation.

It’s GREAT!

I can't believe how professional it looks and works. I easily created some cool animation and played with many of the other neat functions like serendipity.

Love that the ID tags can stay in place from the player.

I’m looking forward to seeing if future versions of Eplode can top JEmplode. Currently JEmplode is way ahead in my book. Thanks MUCH!

I also like the help verbiage, nicely written.