Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#136733 - 24/01/2003 00:49 Problem with install in 2003 WRX
KungFuCow
enthusiast

I checked the FAQ and didn't find anything regarding this so I'm going to toss it out here and see if any other WRX guys had this problem.

My problem is that the player sometimes doesn't shut down when I turn the key off. Usually it does but about 1 out of 7 or 8 times, it will continue playing like the key was never turned off. This just started when I moved the unit to the WRX so I figure it's either an oddity to the car or something screwed up in the installation. The same guys did the installation in my former car so this wasn't their first time doing an Empeg.

Also, before someone FAQs me with the entry about the unit not shutting down with the key off, I assume that is an all the time thing since it's a wiring issue. This isn't an all the time thing.

#136734 - 24/01/2003 07:01 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
My first suggestion would be to find out what the line connected to the Empegs switched input is actually doing, is it really staying high after the ignition it turned off, atleast then you will have confirmation that the Empeg is doing the correct thing.

If the line is staying high after the ignition is turned off is it possible that the line they connected to actually feeds something else, a turbo timer or electric water pump for example, in which case they run on after they key whenever the car feels it needs extra cooling?

I have no experience of the WRX, so these are just guesses, but hey, they may help

#136735 - 24/01/2003 11:00 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also, before someone FAQs me with the entry about the unit not shutting down with the key off, I assume that is an all the time thing since it's a wiring issue. This isn't an all the time thing.

It could be a loose wire, hence the intermittency. Even though, as you said, each of these following things may not be related, they're worth looking into because they might be intermittent as well:

AC Sensor Switch
Miswired power
Negtive Spike
Loose docking connector wires

There are also two reported bugs, not in the FAQ, that are specific to software version 2.0 Beta 13, and your problem could be related to either of those bugs: 1) Sometimes the player takes a long time to respond to the "ignition off" command. When this happens, it plays for a long time after shutting off the ignition, perhaps long enough to make you get impatient and yank it out of the dash instead of waiting for it to shut off. 2) Sometimes the player keeps playing after the ignition is turned off and never shuts off. If this happens, it's been reported that using Emplode and doing a small change and a re-synch (hence rebuilding the database) will fix the problem.

#136736 - 24/01/2003 11:07 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: tfabris]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Hmmm.... those last two bugs could be the problem. I'll do a resync and see what happens. I'll also let the player stay on next time and see if it ever cuts off.

I don't really think this is an installation issue simply because I don't think the place that did the install would make that sort of mistake. Anything is possible however I was looking for some sort of wierdness with this vehicle as the Empeg had been in 2 other cars and never had this problem.

Thanks guys

#136737 - 24/01/2003 15:37 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Hmmm.... those last two bugs could be the problem.

If the problem started soon after you had done a synchronization, it is almost certain that the second suggestion that Tony made is your problem, and a re-synch will definitely fix it.

tanstaafl.

#136738 - 24/01/2003 16:11 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: tanstaafl.]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

The last sync was around the same time that I had the unit installed in the WRX so it's kind of a coin toss. Im going to grab it and do a resync and see what happens.

#136739 - 24/01/2003 16:16 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Irregardless

<Ducks and keeps an eye out for Bitt>

#136740 - 24/01/2003 16:59 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm guessing an edit occurred. I see nothing of the sort.

#136741 - 24/01/2003 17:10 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: tfabris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
1) Sometimes the player takes a long time to respond to the "ignition off" command. When this happens, it plays for a long time after shutting off the ignition, perhaps long enough to make you get impatient and yank it out of the dash instead of waiting for it to shut off.

Mine did this in my old install quite often with 2.0 b13. I've sat there when it does it and it would run for another 2 minutes or so before shutting off, never an entire song... And when it did this, it didn't loose it's poition in the playlist like it does on occasion on a regular power down.

#136742 - 24/01/2003 17:59 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: wfaulk]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Averting disaster

I resync'ed the player. After dinner Im going to see if that made any difference. I'm also going to check for the "run on" condition should the player continue after the key is turned off.

#136743 - 29/01/2003 12:27 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

An update on this situation. I did a resync several days ago and thought all was well but last night the player stayed on after I switched the key off again. After waiting about 45 seconds, the unit did finally power down by itself.

I took the car back to the installer and had them double check everything and they could find nothing wrong installation wise. They were pretty thorough and I trust these guys 100% so I think I can rule out an installation issue.

As Tony said above, it's probably Problem #1 giving me grief. It's funny how this problem NEVER happened in my previous vehicle, though but seems to do it constantly in the new car.

#136744 - 29/01/2003 12:34 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

After waiting about 45 seconds, the unit did finally power down by itself.

That's the known bug in Beta 13. Hopefully it will be corrected on the next software release.

It's funny how this problem NEVER happened in my previous vehicle, though but seems to do it constantly in the new car.

Because you probably got the new car around the same time Beta 13 came out.

#136745 - 29/01/2003 13:14 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: tfabris]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Nope.. got the new car January 3rd and didnt put the Empeg in until the 11th. The "run on" scenario is happening daily now since installing the unit.

#136746 - 04/02/2003 22:45 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I can't offer too much help other than to say that it is not a common WRX issue. I've talked to several WRX owners w. empegs installed and none of them have mentioned this problem.

I seem to be the only WRX owner on earth with alterator whine, so if you have no whine, let me know where your grounds are.

Good luck on the trouble shooting. And trust Tony.

#136747 - 06/02/2003 18:48 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'm putting my order in for a new '04 WRX Wagon within the next month... i gotta start doing some research on the install issues. Good to know others have gone before me. =]

#136748 - 07/02/2003 11:07 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm putting my order in for a new '04 WRX Wagon within the next month...

Cool beans, Loren! Bring the brochure to dinner tonight.

#136749 - 07/02/2003 16:47 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

I left it at home, and i'm heading straight from work to the SR.

BUT... i'm going to Santa Cruz tomorrow to test drive and put in my order!! WOOT!

#136750 - 09/02/2003 11:20 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Jim Hogan was a great help. He installed an aftermarket HU and the empeg together, so our wiring was a bit differant, but it still helped a lot. Click the link in my sig. to see some photos of the inside of the dash.

And congrats on getting a rex! Welcome to the club! I'm amazed how many WRX / empeg owners there are. I've emailed with at least 5 so far. And pick up a smoked lens if you don't have one already, it's a perfect match.

#136751 - 09/02/2003 16:41 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Thanks, Brad. Congrats, Loren!

And welcome to the wagon club! You won't be sorry. I discovered last weekend that a full-size OE spare *or* a studded Hakka on OE wheel will fit (darn close) in the wagon's bigger well, so I'll bid the fake spare goodbye and probably redo my sub to sit inside the spare.

I also spent some time last weekend adding wiring for a ham radio and Motorola V60 in-car kit before we head up to this rally next weekend. Along the way, I discovered some interesting spots for hardware in the dash (if you aren't putting gauges in the center spot). I'll take some pics.

Mod gently!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#136752 - 10/02/2003 05:56 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Here is a site that makes enclosures that fit into the sparetire well: http://www.subarusound.com/subarusound/default.asp

I was thining of losing my Infinity Basslink and going with a 5-channel amp w. unpowered sub (maybe in the spare tire well).

This company makes sub enclosures that fit on the side of the trunk for anyone that wants to keep their spare: http://www.geocities.com/subee_sound/main.html

#136753 - 10/02/2003 08:36 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

I do have some alternator whine but only when the tuner module is on, strangely enough. Even theni t's barely audible. I have had my Empeg in 3 vehicles and all 3 did the same thing as far as whine. Only audible in tuner mode.

I had the sled pulled out of the dash last weekend to run the wire for my Sony stalk and it looks like all my wiring was done through the OE harness.

#136754 - 10/02/2003 10:53 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: KungFuCow]
loren
carpal tunnel

Went and test drove a Sedan this weekend... Very nice. The turbo lag sorta sucks though... i was surprised to find that my Civic Si seemed to have more low end torque under 3000 RPM's... but maybe i wasn't used to the gearing yet. They wouldn't let me take it over 4000R RPM's because of the break in period... so i didn't really get to check out the power. The handing is superb though... and damn those seats rock.

Now i just gotta wait and see what they definitely decide to put on the '04 version and decide if it's worth it over getting a cheaper '03. I can't f'n wait to get rid of my Civic though... i need a smoother/quieter ride!

#136755 - 10/02/2003 12:57 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

The 04 has the new face to it, offers a sun roof, has available heated seats (shaped a bit differant) and offers a black interior in addition to the previous standard blue/black interior. So, unless you want heated seats in California or need a sunroof, the only big change is the exterior.

(And I'd advise against putting in an aftermarket sunroof because aftermarket installers need to cut through one of the roof supports that extends from the B-pillar. This will lower the rigidity of the car and effect handleing. Because of this, the factory sunroof is small so that they don't have to cut.)

That is crap you couldn't take the car over 4000 rpm! The car comes alive after 3000 rpm. I would never buy a car if the salesperson went on the test drive with me... but that's another thread. With a few cheaps mods, the car comes alive at an even lower rpm and rev's so fast, you'll whip right by 3000rpm in no time.

Since the WRX has a factory turbo, its engine was given a fairly low compression ratio (better for turbo cars). This makes the car safer to boost, but also lowers output when the turbo isn't spooling up.

#136756 - 10/02/2003 14:21 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

Yeah, i was aware of all the new stuff... but they won't sign off on anything until if's official and they have an order form from Subaru. . . so i've gotta wait til then.

Yeah... the moonroof is something i'm wavering on. I love the one in my Civic... and i'd love to have it in the Rex. But i've read so many conflicting reports on the whole rigidity issue i just don't know anymore. I'm gonna wait and see on that one.

Yeah... i gotta find a dealership who will let me go over 4000... i barely got to drive the thing!

#136757 - 10/02/2003 20:26 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
God I love my WRX. Brad and I have the same one. Silver '02 sedan. Except my empeg doesn't have any alternator whine. I just got delivery of some new wheels for the summer...17x7.5 steel grey Rota Tarmacs. I can't wait for April so I can put them on, roll down the windows, and blast my music. I think this summer I'm also going to Dynamat the doors and maybe the trunk too. A bit too much rattle for my taste.

I took the WRX for about 6 different test drives over a 6 month period. 5 of the times I was by myself. I hear it's not too good to redline a car with 4 miles on it. Oh well. I had to see what it could do.

#136758 - 10/02/2003 20:44 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: jimhogan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

so I'll bid the fake spare goodbye and probably redo my sub to sit inside the spare.

Take a close look at both the original ("space saver") wheel and the new ("full size") spare and take measurements before you commit!

A lot of times, the space saver wheel is actually a larger diameter wheel (with a smaller aspect ratio tire to make overall diameter come out the same) than a regular size wheel. Be sure the subwoofer will fit into the new wheel!

And, just an aside, why do you want to get rid of the "fake" spare anyway? All you'll be doing is giving up storage space in trade for the satisfaction of knowing that you have a wheel that will probably never be used but that nonetheless looks just like the other four wheels. In the last 10 years I have probably had a spare tire on the ground maybe twice, and then only for as long as it took me to get the damaged tire repaired.

tanstaafl.

#136759 - 10/02/2003 20:46 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: loren]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I can't f'n wait to get rid of my Civic though... i need a smoother/quieter ride!

Now aren't you glad I talked you out of that slammed Civic you were looking at?

tanstaafl.

#136760 - 10/02/2003 21:13 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

BTW loren, if you're getting a wagon, this one from a nasioc.com member is pretty badass, and good inspiration to do some cool mods.

#136761 - 10/02/2003 21:34 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: ithoughti]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
In reply to:

I think this summer I'm also going to Dynamat the doors and maybe the trunk too.

I'm thinkin about that too, love my RSX but the road noise is a little bit much on the highway. Also my new AEM CAI is frickin loud (only when I get on it, which is kinda cool), I can't bear the thought of ripping everything out though, how much do you think a good installer would charge to do that?

#136762 - 10/02/2003 21:55 Re: Problem with install in 2003 WRX [Re: lopan]
ithoughti
old hand

how much do you think a good installer would charge to do that?

not quite sure, but it's a pretty labor-intensive process, so I would imagine that for $50/hour or whatever they charge that the price would climb quickly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >