Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14401 - 18/08/2000 00:28 Text to Speech
andrew walker
new poster

Loc: Midlands, UK
All EMPEG lovers,

Apologies if this one has already been discussed but has anyone suggested the opposite of VR, that empeg can talk back to us?

I've only had my empeg for two days and havn't fully thought this one out, but..

When selecting playlists with the rotary dial, instead of conentrating on the display for the playlist name (and possibly crashing the car), could the empeg speak the name of the playlist that you just selected with the dial or read out all of them to you? Then when you here the one you want just press the dial in to select it to be played.

This could also be incorporated with the VR somehow, so the empeg reads out the playlist to you and you say 'EMPEG PLAY', or 'EMPEG STOP' or something when you here the one you want to be played.

This will probably mean licensing some more external software but would be a really neat feature?

What do you guys think about this? Don't hold back !!

Cheers

Andrew Walker

#14402 - 18/08/2000 05:14 Re: Text to Speech [Re: andrew walker]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i think someone catually talked about that a while back, but i can't remember for sure...

i think it would be a great idea. it would certainly cut down on how much the user had to take their eyes off of the road to navigate the menus. i second this idea.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#14403 - 18/08/2000 07:49 Re: Text to Speech [Re: jstrain]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This is rather fun...

This software is freely licenseable, as well

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#14404 - 21/08/2000 08:47 Re: Text to Speech [Re: schofiel]
Nils

Loc: Germany
I can only repeat myself, i was one of the people wishing this feature before, but when i wrote it here, lots of people just replied that it would go on their nerves.

So i repeat my wish for that, and of course i would also like to be able to turn it on and off, like the stupid beeps ...

I just returned from a short Holiday in Norway where i was driving around with my AUDI Convertible open all time ( thx for the weather, whoever feels responsible btw ), not beeing able to see ANYTHING on the bad Mk2 front plate, so in *several* occasions i had to stop just to produce enough shadow to find the correct album i wanted to play.
( And i had to admit, that 1 or 2 times i got in dangerous situations because i really tried hard to see something on the display while driving, i learned THAT lesson )
When coverig their legal *sses abot the no-visual-bootup-mode, empeg shoud definately think about this issue, the visuals *never* ever brought me close to an accident, but the missing text-2-speech option did.
Why do you all think that Navigation Systems have voice output ?

Nils

#14405 - 21/08/2000 10:25 Re: Text to Speech [Re: Nils]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
(thx for the weather, whoever feels responsible btw)

No problem, any time.

Regarding text-to-speech, I once read about someone who'd come up with a text-to-speech system that mimicked famous personalities. For example, you could type a sentence and it would be read back to you by a voice similar to Jimmy Stewart or Jack Nicholson. Not just the voice and inflections, but even speech patterns, such as Jimmy Stewart's semi-stuttering style.

#14406 - 21/08/2000 19:21 Re: Text to Speech [Re: andrew walker]
dglidden
journeyman

There is a fantastic freely-available (X11-like license) Text-2-Speech tool called Festival that you might check out. I believe the majority of the code is built in libraries, which at least in theory would make it easier to build into the Empeg. (i.e. just throw the appropriate hooks into the player software to call the Festival API calls. It's a simple matter of programming, you see...)

It's possible that whomever it was a couple messages back mentioning a T2S software that could mimic personalities was thinking of Festival. You can, if you are so compelled, build "phoneme libraries" from any voice you want to take the time to sample and take apart and Festival will then use that voice to speak to you. They still sound pretty computerized, but noticably less mechanical than Stephen Hawking's chair for example. :) (To help those crazy^H^H^H^H^Hdedicated enough to want to build their own speech libraries, there's a thing called Festvox to help you.)

(When looking up Festvox just now, I also ran across an interesting-looking project called Knight Rider.)

I agree with probably everyone else that were a feature like this available, it would have to have an "On/Off" option. I also agree that it could be extremely cool.

#14407 - 21/08/2000 20:26 Re: Text to Speech [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
All I want is a car stereo that can talk to me in the voice of Hal from the 20xx movies. Is that really too much to ask?

:-)

-Mike

#14408 - 22/08/2000 07:53 Re: Text to Speech [Re: mcomb]
Kureg

I'm sorry mike, I just can't do that.

Kureg

#14409 - 22/08/2000 18:09 Re: Text to Speech [Re: dglidden]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
The last time I brought up the notion of Festival in Hugo's presence, he started muttering unkind things about memory usage. Apparently TTS in general is rather memory intensive. I think the intended solution was to be able to attach a bit of mp3 sound to each menu item. empeg would put together a set of files for the standard menus, and leave it up to the user to provide clips for playlists.

(Could be entertaining... the Pink Floyd playlist would be identified by a single heartbeat off Dark Side of the Moon...the mind reels...)

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#14410 - 22/08/2000 20:14 Re: Text to Speech [Re: n6mod]
dglidden
journeyman

The last time I brought up the notion of Festival in Hugo's presence, he started muttering unkind things about memory usage. Apparently TTS in general is rather memory intensive. I think the intended solution was to be able to attach a bit of mp3 sound to each menu item. empeg would put together a set of files for the standard menus, and leave it up to the user to provide clips for playlists.

Yeah, but that's not really TTS, that's cheating! :)

#14411 - 23/08/2000 00:41 Re: Text to Speech [Re: dglidden]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Nope, Mem usage cannot be the point, remember they did that old "S.A.M. reciter" text 2 speech on a C64 and it also ran on my ATARI 600XL when it only had 16KByte of RAM ...
And its Quality was good enough, i even think those "roboter voices" are far more amazing than a "perfect female voice" ( under *some* circumstances i have to admit :-) )

My 0.02 Euro ...

Nils

( If i dig deeper in the dark regions of my mind i also remember text2speech on the Radio Shack TRS-80 with 16KBate that my best freinds brother brought to our village, and that led all of us kiddies to be computer freaks, maybe majorly because of that thing actually *SPEAKING* , so *never* underestimate the facination of a computer speaking to non-techie people ( and that's what we were at the age of 8 ). )

#14412 - 23/08/2000 02:07 Re: Text to Speech [Re: Nils]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I'll grant that TTS is possible in small-memory machines. But Festival isn't going to be the solution:

To quote from http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/festival/manual-1.4.1/festival_30.html#SEC138

The system is too big. It takes a long time to compile even on quite large machines, and its foot print is still in the 10s of megabytes as is the run-time requirement. Although we have spent some time trying to fix this
(optional modules have made the possibility of building a much smaller binary) we haven't done enough yet.

So Festival has a ways to go yet...but I'm sure there are other solutions out there.

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#14413 - 23/08/2000 02:09 Re: Text to Speech [Re: Nils]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
MP3 clips are much more likely to happen than full TTS - which *is* generally very memory intensive. Using low bitrate clips we can get a lot of stuff into (say) 128k - over 15 seconds. The general idea is to have a special playlist into which you can upload your own clips (but there will be empeg-provided ones too).

All this sort of stuff is waiting for the new codec architecture (which is coming soon). When we can mix two currently playing mp3s (ie, music & sound clip) then I'll be Mike/John/Peter's worst nightmare and will want crossfading too... ;)

Hugo

#14414 - 23/08/2000 03:26 Re: Text to Speech [Re: tfabris]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

Regarding text-to-speech, I once read about someone who'd come up with a text-to-speech system that mimicked famous personalities. For example, you could type a sentence and it would be read back to you by a voice similar to Jimmy Stewart or Jack Nicholson. Not just the voice and inflections, but even speech patterns, such as Jimmy Stewart's semi-stuttering style.

I'd opt for Joanna Lumley, the sexiest femail voice I can think of.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#14415 - 14/09/2000 16:18 Re: Text to Speech [Re: schofiel]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

What would I do with T2S?

I'd write an app for my pager that would send all incoming pages out it's IrDA port. Then when I get in the car, I can run my new prog on my pager and set it so it's IR is inline with the empeg. Then I'd like to have a T2S prog on the empeg pause the music, read the message to me and unpause the music.

I've been trying to think of what else I could have my pager and an empeg talk about (via IR), and this is all I've been able to come up with (so far!).

--The Amigo

#14416 - 14/09/2000 17:56 Re: Text to Speech [Re: TheAmigo]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I'd write an app for my pager that would send all incoming pages out it's IrDA port. Then when I get in the car, I can run my new prog on my pager and set it so it's IR is inline with the empeg. Then I'd like to have a T2S prog on the empeg pause the music, read the message to me and unpause the music.

Although I don't use a pager, this is a cool idea. One thing I like about this BBS is the great ideas I hear for projects.

Alex Lear

#14417 - 14/09/2000 19:57 Re: Text to Speech [Re: alear]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
A huge YES would be my response to a TTS or mp3/list response & menu reading. Empeg is fine now, but when I'm driving with 6" of slush and 60' visibility (at my usual 80mph of course) there's NO WAY I'm looking down.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...