Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#146253 - 28/02/2003 07:50 Newbie needs a clue on how to start development
Scorp1us
journeyman

I've got a whole lot of ideas that use 802.11, and I'd like to play with them. As a newbie to empeg development, I have several questions:
(I was previously an embedded deeveloper, and i'm pretty familiar with embedded linux) (and I can find the x-compilers on my own)

1) How do I take over the display?. Surely /dev/fb0 is locked. This would normally require exiting the app using it, but I don't want to stop the music I just want an alternate visual.

2) How do I take over the button presses?

3) How can I togle back and forth between my app and the main one?

That should get me started! Thanks!

(As you can see, I'm basically concerned with the concurrency of programs regarding the i/o. Whiile I have your attention, is there anythign else I should know?)

Edited by Scorp1us (28/02/2003 08:11)

#146254 - 28/02/2003 08:58 Re: Newbie needs a clue on how to start development [Re: Scorp1us]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The Hijack kernel provides for access to the display, as well as getting input button presses. Take a look at the Hijack kernel source, or one of the user applications that use Hijack API's. The hijack.h header file (in the kernel source) actually has about 20 lines of a "skeleton" user app which uses the display and takes input.