Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14634 - 19/08/2000 20:15 'Music notes' icon causes inconsistent behavior
dtrounce
journeyman

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Ok, so I have all my MP3s loaded onto the empeg. They're arranged in hierarchical playlists in the format \Type\Artist\Album\Tracks.

For some artists I have entire albums, plus some extra tracks. I've put the extra tracks in the Artist directory, so we also have \Type\Artist\Tracks.

When I go into the \Type\Artist\ playlist, I see the play icon, then all my Albums, then the music icon. The play icon will start a temp playlist of all songs by this artist. Good - that's what I expect.

The music icon refers to the tracks that are not in an Album playlist. Selecting it shows another play icon and these tracks only. So far, so good. However, selecting the play icon at this point does not play only these tracks, but instead plays all tracks by this artist.

In other words, the play icon here is inconsistent with its behavior earlier. Since there is a list of tracks shown at this point, it should play only these, not every track by this artist. It seems to be a sub-selection problem.

#14635 - 20/08/2000 10:07 Re: 'Music notes' icon causes inconsistent behavior [Re: dtrounce]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Interesting observation. I happen to like its current behavior better than the behavior you're expecting, but you have a point.

I think this behavior is because the musical note icon isn't a really separate level- it's just a "show the individual songs" indicator.

#14636 - 20/08/2000 11:47 Re: 'Music notes' icon causes inconsistent behavior [Re: tfabris]
dtrounce
journeyman

The way the musical note icon appears is as a separate level (just like an extra empeg-created playlist), as at that level it only shows the unattached songs. Play at that point should only play those songs.

You can get the your preferred behavior (play all songs by this artist - a very useful function, I agree) much easier by just hitting play when you get to the artist. This is also two keystrokes earlier.

I don't understand why you prefer this current behavior, it appears to be an alternate, more complex, inconsistent way of getting to the 'play all songs by this artist' function, but has a logical meaning that is not being used right now.

The musical note icon could more properly termed 'show the unattached songs' rather than 'show all the songs'. Therefore play should play only the unattached songs that are shown at that point. In my logic, anyhow :-)

#14637 - 20/08/2000 22:57 Re: 'Music notes' icon causes inconsistent behavior [Re: dtrounce]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can get the your preferred behavior (play all songs by this artist - a very useful function, I agree) much easier by just hitting play when you get to the artist. This is also two keystrokes earlier.

I thought about that point, too. You're right. So your desired behavior wouldn't compromise any existing behavior. You've sold me. Now the trick is to sell Mike on it.

#14638 - 21/08/2000 06:48 Re: 'Music notes' icon causes inconsistent behavior [Re: tfabris]
dtrounce
journeyman

Got this by e-mail today :-) Good stuff!

Thanks for the report.

Yes, this behaviour isn't what would be expected. I've put it on the list to
be fixed.

--
Mike Crowe
empeg ltd

#14639 - 21/08/2000 12:13 Re: 'Music notes' icon causes inconsistent behavior [Re: dtrounce]
firestarter
new poster

Loc: England
Ah yes, I found it did this also. I ended up just making to extra directories, which was not quite what I wanted. It would be nice NOT to play ALL songs below the icon.

Never mind, I must remember that its a computer after all, and the programmers are right. (re-boot your car on the M1!)