Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147159 - 06/03/2003 04:00 More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

#147160 - 06/03/2003 07:27 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: andy]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Funny...shame it isn't longer.

#147161 - 06/03/2003 10:04 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: andy]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
That's freaking awesome. I'm crying here, it is so touching.

#147162 - 06/03/2003 11:53 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Great, just what we need. Next it'll be slash fan-fiction. <shudder>

#147163 - 06/03/2003 14:34 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Speaking of which.. we have a very precious comedian here in Canada named Rick Mercer, who often tilts his head for us while observing the antics of a certain medium-sized North American country. I don't know if the following was truly his, but it's certainly his style:

*Sent:* Wednesday, March 05, 2003 3:30 PM
*Subject:* apology to the US

*Courtesy of Rick Mercer from This Hour Has 22 Minutes CBC Television:*

On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron.

He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we Feel your Pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with..

Thank you

#147164 - 06/03/2003 14:50 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: mlord]
Redrum
old hand

Perhaps Bush should enact the strategy outline in the movie “Canadian Bacon.”

Great movie!

Those Canadians are all massing around the US border. I think they ARE going to attack!

#147165 - 06/03/2003 14:56 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron.

He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out

Of course, that one doesn't really work, because most of the US thinks he's a moron too. Hell, the media points it out all the time, and I think it's half of the source of the Daily Show's material

#147166 - 06/03/2003 16:47 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think he's a moron. And if you look at the polls, the majority of americans don't think he's a moron.

the media points it out all the time

That's because the majority of the media and the majority of Hollywood thinks he's a moron.

#147167 - 06/03/2003 17:02 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: ]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

#147168 - 06/03/2003 17:23 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: genixia]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah and those polls are answered by a biased audience. One of the questions on the third link is "Bush or Gore?", and 78% chose Gore and 22% chose Bush. Do you think that is a good representation of the american population?

#147169 - 06/03/2003 18:25 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: ]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

That may be a fair question.

I googled for 'Bush moron poll', which was a biased search. I then used the first 5 search results that linked to a graphical poll result, ie ignoring those 'polls' that were really 'online discussions'. I even discounted a few Canadian based polls (that concurred incidentally), simply because Canadian polls figured heavily in the search results.

And that's still only looking at polls based on the North American continent. If you want to look further afield, the results look even worse.

However, when I google for 'Bush genius poll' or 'Bush clever poll', I tend to find the same kind of results, with the exception that apparantly the Israelis think that he's a genius. Probably because he continues to send $3.4B of US taxpayers money to Israel, whilst completely ignoring Israel's continued and blatent Palestinian land 'occupation' (grab).

Somehow I have a problem believing that google is biased in which polls it registers in it's database.

Co-incidentally, Dubya has just likened Peace Protesters to the Free Trade Protesters. The man is clearly a moron.

#147170 - 06/03/2003 18:27 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: ]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

One of the questions on the third link is "Bush or Gore?", and 78% chose Gore and 22% chose Bush. Do you think that is a good representation of the american population?

Apparantly 52% of the voting population voting for Gore wasn't a good representation of the American population...but what would I know?

#147171 - 06/03/2003 18:28 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: ]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That's because anyone who doesn't have their heads up their arses knows he's a moron. I mean, you have to be breathing some pretty thin air if you believe even a shred of any of the garbage spilling from Bush's mouth. He's a slow-speaking half-wit. And that says nothing about his incompetance as a president and the leader of a country that tends to pride itself as a model for others. Right.

Don't mind me though. I'm watching your monkey speak on TV right now. He's intrupting Survivor and a repeat of Friends for what? To slap up another layer of bullsh*t.

When there are lives of innocent people to be saved... When there are grave injustices and genocide goinf on in the world... When someone needs help the most... The US leader will humm along ignoring the situation.

When thre is money to be made... When the possibility of Patriotic PR comes about... When the president wants to show that he has a bit more than a couple of shrivled raisen-balls... Well then it's time to threaten war. And then usually time to jump in, tossing aside the lives of a number of expendable US soldiers and killing countless of unnamed others.

Time to go back to Korea next, right? TIme to go make sure the Chinese no longer have access to Nuclear technology. Oh oh, beter take a closer look at what's going down in Pakistan.. Then of course there's India. Hmm, where should Mr. Bush start? Well, it won't ever be China. Too much US $$ at stake. Won't be India... Iraq and its poeple are expendable. A big 0% of the oil used in the US comes from Iraq. It's a worthless shithole that won't be much different once leveled. Right?

And of course, the arrogance and stupidity of your feable-minded president and his other monkeys is now affecting Canadians at the border. this comes in the form of customs officials with enormous chips on their shoulders. Not fit to wipe the floors where I work, they sit in their high chairs and by the colour of your skin and their own daily mood, decide whether or not you enter the US. Enter today or over the next six months to a year! A good friend was just denied entry last week. He was going down to pick up his wife and two kids who had been visitng her parents. He had been thre just one week prior when he dropped them off. Now he's barred from entering the US for a period of SIX MONTHS. Because the customs person at the airport didn't "think" he should. Nice. Real nice. Oh, of course it has nothing to do with his skin being brown.

I've now gone off ona tangent, but I just had to post somewhere insulting Bush and the imbeciles at the borders. I mean, they must be pissed off to be n Canada where it's so cold right now. When the could be down in California or Texas shooting Mexicans. After all, they're brown too, right?

By the way, weren't you banned under your reversed name on this forum?

Bruno

#147172 - 06/03/2003 18:59 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: hybrid8]
suomi35
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Some people will never be happy...

#147173 - 06/03/2003 19:21 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: hybrid8]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Come on, stop holding back Bruno, tell us how you really feel?

Personally, I think a lot of the moronness of Bush is show. Yes, he is a moron, but he acts like even more of a moron on purpose (does anyone really thinks he doesn't know how to say "nucular" correctly). It's part of his down-home image, a calculated ploy that helps him appear harmless as he destroys this country and the rest of the world with his ultra-right-wing-religious-warmongering policies. The more Jay Leno makes "Bush is dumb" jokes, the more he can get away with.

#147174 - 06/03/2003 19:34 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: ninti]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Good point.
If we thought he was competent and knew what he was doing, and he still was going ahead with his current plans, I think I would be even more scared.

#147175 - 06/03/2003 21:05 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: fusto]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
That's just it. Bush *is* a moron, but that, in itself, is not the scary part. Being a moron makes it easy for his advisors to influence him, and it's *them* you need to be scared of. I mean... he's listening to the advice from a guy that: 1) ruined peace talks during the Vietnam war, 2) conducted an illegal war in Cambodia, 3) sponsored the coup of a democratically elected head of state that ended up putting Pinochet in power in Chile, 4) okayed (and thanked) a Bangladesh general for slaughtering half a million citizens in a coup using US arms. And that's just *one* guy.

#147176 - 06/03/2003 22:27 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: canuckInOR]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
At least your head of State is an independant puppet. Ours is desparately trying to get into dubya's pants. Reminds me of a poster I saw at a peace rally (gay threesome with dubya, blair and howard)

#147177 - 06/03/2003 23:18 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: muzza]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Whether Bush is a dumbass or not - the fact that so many of us can speak so disparagingly about this country is frightening to me. How are we supposed to prosper as a country if we can't take ourselves seriously - or even care to.

#147178 - 07/03/2003 04:06 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: trs24]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
How are we supposed to prosper as a country if we can't take ourselves seriously

How are you supposed to prosper as a country if you can't poke fun at yourselves?

#147179 - 07/03/2003 04:09 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
When there is money to be made... When the possibility of Patriotic PR comes about... When the president wants to show that he has a bit more than a couple of shrivled raisen-balls...

When there's a real danger that OPEC will repeg the price of oil to the much stronger euro instead of the dollar, causing the US economy to behave like any other economy with that trade balance and debt load would, i.e. crash in hyperinflation?

Peter

#147180 - 07/03/2003 07:17 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: ninti]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Personally, I think a lot of the moronness of Bush is show.

I think it's at least true that he'd rather be underestimated by his enemies than try to dispel the idea that he is a moron.

ultra-right-wing-religious-warmongering

I’ll leave the 'warmongering' alone because I understand (though don't necessarily agree with) the viewpoint; however the "ultra-right-wing-religious" I don't think is very accurate. Bush IS religious and right wing, but "ultra" is a bit strong. If the “ultra” people got the type of person they wanted into office, he or she would make Bush look like a liberal.

#147181 - 07/03/2003 07:28 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: trs24]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

- the fact that so many of us can speak so disparagingly about this country is frightening to me.

Actually it should be encouraging. Freedom of speech is one of the principles on which this country was founded.

I do understand what you mean on one level, however, and that's that it's at least a little disturbing how people seem to speak negatively about the U.S. almost as if it were understood that this country is evil. Unchecked patriotism can lead to very unhealthy attitudes, but I still believe the U.S. is a great nation in spite of its misdeeds.

Still, at least we bash the President in the media, in our homes, and on the Internet rather than feeling we have to pick up weapons and overthrow the government. This is a testimony to how well our government actually works: those who are dissatisfied believe that that there is an avenue by which they might see the problems rectified.

#147182 - 07/03/2003 07:39 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: peter]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Just to play devils advocate here, does anyone here honestly believe that if Saddam Hussein had the resources to build Nuclear weapons he wouldn't use them or give them to someone who would? Don't get me wrong, I voted for Gore and I was downright pissed when he got suckered out of the presidency but September 11th hit real close to home for me. I was only 20 miles away from the pentagon when all the [censored] hit the fan, the guy has had 12 frickin years to get his [censored] together... and its not gonna happen... Why is the US the badguy in this scenario? Are we supposed to sit here and let another bunch of dicks kill us? Sitting here 20 miles from DC makes the thought of Nuclear weapons real scary. They KNOW he's trying to build them, they KNOW he sponsors terrorism... and I honestly don't care if alterior motives are being served. I personally don't relish the thought of glowing.

but thats just me....

#147183 - 07/03/2003 07:54 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
"ultra-right-wing-religious" I don't think is very accurate
Look at conservative politicians from thirty years ago. They make today's Democrats seem fairly conservative. There has been a huge shift to the right across the whole political board that seems to have gone unnoticed. There are very few people left to represent many of us who really are liberal.

Bearing that in mind, I don't think that it's much of a stretch to think that the reasonably far right wing of today, of which I think we'd all agree Bush is a part, is ``ultra''. Anyone you'd consider ``ultra'' I think the rest of us would call ``fascist''.

#147184 - 07/03/2003 07:58 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: Roger]
fusto
addict

How are you supposed to prosper as a country if you can't poke fun at yourselves?

Well, as a country theres poking fun at ourselves, and then theres poking holes in ourselves.
And right now our country appears to be full of holes.

#147185 - 07/03/2003 08:01 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Anyone you'd consider ``ultra'' I think the rest of us would call ``fascist''

Fair enough. I was thinking of "ultra" as meaning "as far as you could possibly imagine". However, since Bush’s worldview and my own tend to line up, that means I must be "ultra" myself, and I'd never really thought of myself that way. I suppose no one ever does.

#147186 - 07/03/2003 08:09 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: lopan]
fusto
addict

The real kicker is, we... uh... kinda helped him (saddam that is).
Way back when W's daddy was running the CIA. We sold him helicopters, planes, guns, and... uh... triggers for nuclear weapons among other things.

#147187 - 07/03/2003 08:13 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: fusto]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Well yeah... hell we trained Osama... doesn't really make it OK though. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe we wouldn't be in this mess if we didn't have such screwed up foreign policy. And I don't think Bush is going to clean things up in that department, which well, kinda sucks.

#147188 - 07/03/2003 08:15 Re: More Bush/Blair bizarre wonderfulness [Re: lopan]
fusto
addict

Agreed on all counts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >