Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14735 - 21/08/2000 13:20 Y2K 4Runner Installation question
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
I have been perusing the posts for hours now and I dont think I have seen this question before; Does anyone have a suggestion or opinion on which CD/receiver head unit looks best when mated to an empeg mark2 player (blue) in a double din opening? I am curious which manufacturer and model’s style compliments the empeg best (sony, blau, alpine, etc). Hopefully - one currently still in production would be nice.

I havent ruled out an amp and the empeg tuner, but I dont want an ugly hole (or pocket) in my double din dash. Any other suggestion on what I should do with the extra space?

(It begs the question - Why doesnt empeg sell a din sized expansion unit? It could hold more drives or bolt on features like wireless ethernet. Of course it should have a large display on the 2nd unit. But it think this is another post for a different forum!)

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#14736 - 21/08/2000 14:44 Re: Y2K 4Runner Installation question [Re: morrisdl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I must say, you're the first person who's ever been concerned with what an aftermarket CD player looks like when placed in the dash next to an Empeg.

Have a browse through the (paper) Crutchfield catalog while you've got a photo of the Mark2 up on the computer screen. That should give you enough to go on.

Any other suggestion on what I should do with the extra space?

Assuming you don't find any CD players you like, umm.... din-sized GPS receiver? Weather radar? AutoPC? Center channel speaker? Photos of the wife and kids? Police/CB radio scanner?

#14737 - 21/08/2000 15:43 Re: Y2K 4Runner Installation question [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
You should see the Volvo T5R which cambscar had in one time I was there. Very tweaked (I *think* it was 400+ bhp, lowered, etc. Big bonnet vents.). I swear that thing had 5 LCD panels on the dash - everything from nav system, 2x in-dash DVD (well, the wife might want to watch something else), emergency satellite-driven recovery service, and one other for something else (not sure what)...and two radar detectors.

Complete overkill, but it takes all sorts, I suppose...

Hugo

#14738 - 21/08/2000 17:48 Re: Y2K 4Runner Installation question [Re: altman]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
The blaupunkt stereo's have a nice oval look to them similar to the empeg.

Alex Lear

#14739 - 22/08/2000 04:09 Re: Y2K 4Runner Installation question [Re: tfabris]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Thanks Guys-
I really like the center channel Idea. Might have to give that one a shot. The blaupunkt also look really nice. I will have to wait until I get the empeg to decide (today's the big day!).

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#14740 - 22/08/2000 14:04 Re: Y2K 4Runner Installation question [Re: morrisdl]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I should have mentioned the blaupunkt CD reciever I was refering to is the Alaska II which has an oval face and blue screen. And a optional aux input to replace CD changer plug can be purchased.

Alex Lear