Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148444 - 13/03/2003 09:09 I can't believe it
Anonymous
Unregistered

They found Elizabeth Smart.

Attachments
146390-smart_01.jpg (164 downloads)

#148445 - 13/03/2003 09:11 Re: I can't believe it [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Really. And like 15 miles from home, too, after trips around the country, apparently.

Given that there was never any ransom request, I hate to think what she might have endured.

#148446 - 13/03/2003 11:12 Re: I can't believe it [Re: ]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Can someone explain to me why this is so newsworthy? There are thousands of kidnappings each and every year. Some with similar happy endings where the child is returned safely. Why did this one become such a big deal? It's clear to me that the media picks and chooses which kidnapped children are the "cutest" or will generate the most media buzz, and plasters those stories all over. I agree this should be covered, but why did this one become the *lead story* for almost every major news outlet in the country?

#148447 - 13/03/2003 11:18 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
You have to remember two things:

1) Many news agencies just pick stuff up off the wire, so there is less investigating and more repeating the same thing.
2) News vendors (notably broadcast, but other media as well) is all about advertising and rating. Sensationalism sells. The bigger the story, the better.

#148448 - 13/03/2003 11:19 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
man, i rant about this every time i see one of these on the news... i want to know the same damn thing. I've noticed it's always middle class or wealthy white kids. Someone proove me wrong, i like eating crow on stuff like that.

#148449 - 13/03/2003 11:24 Re: I can't believe it [Re: pgrzelak]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Okay, I know wire services account for a lot of this stuff, but it's always *someone's* decision which of the wire stories are run, and in what order, and how much coverage each one gets (I know that in print, wire stories are sometimes just printed ver-batim, I'm focusing more on the TV coverage here.)

And, as stated in Loren's clarification of my original point, it's almost always the daughter of a wealthy white family. Even the JonBenet Ramsey thing, which was a murder and not a kidnapping, was the same story. All the murders that happen in the country, and that one gets all the coverage.

I know it's about sensationalism, and selling, but why do stories of rich white kids sell more than stories of kids from other walks of life?

#148450 - 13/03/2003 11:28 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

Usually after that long of a time the kid is dead. Also most kidnappings that don’t end in death are by a relative or close friend. In this case it was by "The Drifter" so it has that "Move" feel. Most of the time "Drifters" kill the kids within a few hours.

It basically plays on every paranoid parents worst fears. The news media loves to scare people. It keeps them watching to see what horrible thing they have to worry about next.

#148451 - 13/03/2003 11:35 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Redrum]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

You make excellent points. But I could easily find a dozen stories in the past year or two with the same composition, except the target of the kidnapping wasn't a cute white girl from a rich family. The Erica Pratt story I linked to is just one.

I'm not uncovering anything revolutionary here, we all know the media is biased in certain directions... It just really irks me when I see blatant examples like the Elizabeth Smart case.

#148452 - 13/03/2003 11:35 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

The story won't go away until the "How was she treaded" question is answered. If she was boned on a daily basis it will have around even longer.

It definitely will be a move on the "Life Time" channel (or whatever that chick channel is).

#148453 - 13/03/2003 11:37 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Redrum]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

If she was boned on a daily basis it will have around even longer.
Aw, come on, that's just not right.

#148454 - 13/03/2003 11:42 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

You make excellent points. But I could easily find a dozen stories in the past year or two with the same composition, except the target of the kidnapping wasn't a cute white girl from a rich family. The Erica Pratt story I linked to is just one.

--------------------------------

Yes, cute and rich basically help in all areas. No one would give a rats ass if I was kidnapped.

#148455 - 13/03/2003 11:44 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

Yes, it is not right, however people will want to know. Look at Jerry Springer. That's all fake trash and people love it.

This is a sick world

#148456 - 13/03/2003 12:17 Re: I can't believe it [Re: ]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I love how a happy story like this can start getting people pissed off

Frankly, the whole Smart/Levy time period was good. Kidnappings were the current newsworthy item, and people were more focused on it. I fail to see how focusing on just a few instead of none is hurting the cause of finding lost kids. Sure, in your perfect little utopia, we'll have news coverage of every single abduction nationwide. Sound good? Come on, you wouldn't watch that. Therefore, what do you care?

Plus, how much direct effect do you think media coverage has on child abduction cases? I hardly think it would help, unless the investigators have a clue that could benefit from public information, and even in that case you get thousands of bogus leads. Trust me, I was in the DC Metro area during the whole Levy/Condit thing, and I didn't see the media coverage help at all. The police got thousands of bogus leads.

Quit whining and ignore what you don't want to watch. If you want to help the children, passive 11 o'clock news viewing won't do squat.

Sorry, it's been a long week

#148457 - 13/03/2003 12:25 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Plus, how much direct effect do you think media coverage has on child abduction cases? I hardly think it would help, unless the investigators have a clue that could benefit from public information, and even in that case you get thousands of bogus leads. Trust me, I was in the DC Metro area during the whole Levy/Condit thing, and I didn't see the media coverage help at all. The police got thousands of bogus leads.
...and there were thousands of bogus leads during the sniper case, too. But because of the news coverage, eventually, the real leads came in. Without the news coverage, you think the truck driver would have had any chance of recognizing the vehicle? It only takes one good lead (amongst the thousands of bogus ones) to solve the case. Same for the kidnappings.

Otherwise, you have some valid points in the rest of your response... I'm not suggesting that the news media cover EVERY abduction/kidnapping, but I do think they're irresponsible in their choice of which ones to cover.

#148458 - 13/03/2003 12:39 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

IIRC, one of the reasons it was big news is because a family friend was a big-name Utah politician, and he made it his cause celebre. (HTML character entitities? Anyone?)

#148459 - 13/03/2003 12:42 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

but I do think they're irresponsible in their choice of which ones to cover.

----------------------------------

"irresponsible" perhaps, however the media has one goal, to make money. If they were a non-profit organization designed to save kids your point would be valid. But as the head of Chrysler once put it "We are not in the busness to make cars. We are in the busness to make money."

#148460 - 13/03/2003 12:49 Re: I can't believe it [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Ah, didn't hear that one.

BTW I just type in ASCII codes to get int'l characters... Alt-130 in the case of cause celebré. I don't think the BBS allows HTML character entities.

#148461 - 13/03/2003 13:23 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, the sniper case was helped by some leads, but in that case the law enforcement was, at first, in a big hurry to put any new evidence out to the media. I think that if the police have evidence that would benefit from public information, that's when the media coverage and interest will help the case.

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong, but did they determine whether or not the two sniper suspects ever actually USED a white panel van during their shootings?

#148462 - 13/03/2003 13:24 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just type in ASCII codes to get int'l characters... Alt-130 in the case of cause celebré. I don't think the BBS allows HTML character entities.
First, 130 isn't ASCII, as ASCII is a 7-bit character set. Second, using character 130 assumes that the viewer uses the same character set I do, which is a reasonable assumption in ASCII-land (anyone using an EBCDIC browser?), but not necessarily in ISO-8859-1-land. Third, Alt-130 is pretty tough to do in Solaris. (Actually, I can, in general, do it easier by typing <compose><e><'>, but Netscrape 7.0 doesn't understand that. I can do it in a xterm and copy and paste, but that's a pain, and sometimes doesn't work.) Fourth, I know that the BBS doesn't understand character entities, but there's no reason it shouldn't. ASCII is disabled because of potential security problems, but there's nothing you can do with character entities that could cause a security problem. My parenthesized statement was a paean (paean?) to the BBS gods to make them work.

#148463 - 13/03/2003 13:29 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah, the sniper case was helped by some leads, but in that case the law enforcement was, at first, in a big hurry to put any new evidence out to the media. I think that if the police have evidence that would benefit from public information, that's when the media coverage and interest will help the case.
Right, and that sounds just like your average kidnapping, where police are also very quick to release any evidence that's found, in the hopes that someone will connect a few dots and find the missing person.

The white van thing was immaterial. By the time they were caught, law enforcement had indicated that the suspects were travelling in a blue Caprice, whch is the car that the observant truck driver found, at a rest stop, I believe.

#148464 - 13/03/2003 13:31 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Wasn't the white van thing provided by someone intentionally fabricating evidence? Or was that something else?

#148465 - 13/03/2003 13:35 Re: I can't believe it [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

First, 130 isn't ASCII, as ASCII is a 7-bit character set.

Oh stop it. 130 is part of "extended ASCII." Yes, it depends on your character set, but your message made no indication of whether you were complaining about the BBS supporting HTML character entities, or were just unsure how to get an E with an accent aigu to show up. I was just providing a solution that works a majority of the BBS. Yes, the BBS should support them, but since it doesn't, I figured I'd point out the alt-codes thingie. I forgot for a moment that you're usually browsing on a Solaris box.

Çhéërs.

#148466 - 13/03/2003 13:46 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The reason I asked about the white van was because if they never actually used it in the shootings, then that was a detrimental lead. The police stopped ALL traffic on I95 north (that's, well, a hell of a lot of cars), and proceeded to pull over every single white panel van.

However, in some cases I'll give it to you. Looks like I'm enjoying the crow dinner on this one.

However, I would say that this was a result of the overexposure. I find if very surprising that someone just recognized the guy on the street somewhere. I mean, how many of us would recognize the people on those "Have you seen me lately?" cards that you get in the mail?

By the way, I wasn't aware that the snipers got life without parole recently. I'm not sure how I feel about it because I haven't decided where I stand on the death penalty, but it's good that they're not going to walk among us again. The story.

#148467 - 13/03/2003 13:58 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Looks like I'm enjoying the crow dinner on this one.
Yechh. They might as well just have a permanent daily column on the life of Elizabeth Smart. If anyone really cared about the actual human being involved, they'd let her out of the spotlight and at least attempt to get herself back to a normal life. But this is America.

#148468 - 13/03/2003 14:01 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, you know they're just going to get more invasive. They probably have news vans outside their house with cameras pointed at the girls' window.

We can only hope that by the father saying she's physically OK, that means in every way. I don't mean I want to know about the whole ordeal, it would just be nice to know if she's ok or not.

#148469 - 13/03/2003 14:09 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Extended ASCII was only ever defined for IBM PCs. In fact, I haven't seen it since those days.

Interestingly, e-ague isn't character 130 in ISO-8859-1. It's 233. Yet, somehow, I'm getting character 233 when you're sending character 130, but, one would assume, you're seeing character 130. I wonder what kind of magic is going on there?

#148470 - 13/03/2003 14:21 Re: I can't believe it [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

She's cute. If she were a few years older...

#148471 - 13/03/2003 14:27 Re: I can't believe it [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Very strange. It's also 233 on my end... But 130 when I type it. I'm guessing that to type things in on Windows, you can use extended ASCII keycodes, but maybe Windows or the browser does translation to the target character set.

#148472 - 13/03/2003 14:29 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Let's call it PFM and put an end to this exceedingly silly and pointless subthread.

#148473 - 13/03/2003 14:29 Re: I can't believe it [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Word.

#148474 - 13/03/2003 14:47 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Anonymous
Unregistered

For real, y'all hijacked my f*cking thread, dammit.

#148475 - 13/03/2003 16:26 Re: I can't believe it [Re: ]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Being a parent myself, I think it is great news. I don't care if we only hear about rich white kids or not, one had a happy ending and that is what is important. Something happy has happened in the news, it's about f**king time.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#148476 - 13/03/2003 18:21 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Laura]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Oh, I'm with you, and I didn't mean my comments to undermine the good news that she is alive and somewhat well. I just think there are a lot of other good similar stories that don't ring as loudly among the media because of the factors I've mentioned above.

I am also very happy she's okay, and hope the media fscking leaves the girl alone. But I know better.

#148477 - 13/03/2003 18:22 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
agreed, it still a pretty remarkable case despite all the stuff we said.

she'll be on the talk show circuit soon enough i'm sure for further scaring.

#148478 - 13/03/2003 18:38 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
It is a shame that more of the stories don't get the national attention they deserve because I'm sure that it helps to solve the cases. After so many bad endings over the summer, it is good to know one had a good ending.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#148479 - 13/03/2003 21:31 Re: I can't believe it [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
My parenthesized statement was a paean (paean?) to the BBS gods to make them work.

Is anybody clever enough to do an analysis of all the posts on this bbs and determine which of us has introduced the most new words? For instance, Bitt is the first one to use the word "paean". Rob Schofield used "hygroscopic" before anybody else. I think I am the only person so far to mention Avogadro.

Any takers?

tanstaafl.

#148480 - 13/03/2003 21:43 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Laura]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Living here in Salt Lake (about 6 miles from where she was found) I'm seeing just how this affected the community. I think one reason that this became so big and all over the news is due to the Smarts hard press of the media. They were all over the media. There were billboards up, flyers in just about every business, things everywhere. In fact as the news is on now, it is about 90% Elizabeth Smart. A big deal was made about this case, and that is what brought her home to her family. If there was just the normal humdrum about it, people wouldn't have noticed them walking on the street and called the police. Like Ed Smart said, the public and media is what got his daughter back. It's just too bad we don't see the same amount of attention for every kidnapping case. Anyhow, Salt Lake is celebrating, and an abducted girl has been returned home.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#148481 - 13/03/2003 23:36 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tanstaafl.]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may need to get a supracrestal fiberotomy.

#148482 - 13/03/2003 23:44 Re: I can't believe it [Re: tonyc]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, most of the cases don't get any national coverage, but they almost always get a lot of local coverage. Several months ago a little girl was missing around here and they found her alive 30 days later - she got plenty of local attention, but the national news didn't touch it. Then there's the baton rouge serial killer who's still on the loose and is a pretty big deal over here, and it only made it a little on national news.

#148483 - 14/03/2003 01:24 Re: I can't believe it [Re: ]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
To me it's pretty obvious why only rich white kids that are kidnapped get coverage... Their parent's peers control the media.

There are not a whole lot of prominant black media moguls in the world. And the fact still remains, if you don't have money, you're not important.

The balance of power is very white in this country. No one cares about the 14th poor black girl that was killed this year, her parent's votes don't count anyway, and they definately ain't contributin' to no campaign.

#148484 - 15/03/2003 05:31 Re: I can't believe it [Re: Waterman981]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
[rant]
while I am heppy that this girl was found and returned, I do have a few problems with the reporting of the story. As has been said earlier, this appears to be the product of those in high places tub tumping around to get attention to their plight, while there are THOUSANDS of people who go missing daily without this kind of coverage. I'd like to see more coverage of the success stories.
But why did I see this story in prime-time news in Australia??? Many kids go missing here too. Very few are reported on. but some bugucking GENIOUS in the news broadcasting room here has trapped this off the wire and run with it like it's the first time it ever happened.
Let me state again that I'm glad the girl is OK.
But what other stories of actual importance and interest to me, here, were sacrificed in order to run with this irrelivant filler?!

There's been a big scandal over here where an government official has resigned in because he couldn't tolerate our government's war stance. In a radio talkback prog, a guy called up to say that he quit his news editing job because he couldn't tolerate the way the stories were re-cut to make the time slot available. Important facts were being left out just to make the time slot. I'm glad a few people have a soul in that industry.

[/rant]

thankyou for your time, I should get out more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >