Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#148895 - 16/03/2003 11:49 Chrystler/Jeep Install question
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Am looking into buying a new truck (Jeep Liberty) and found one on the lot with the factory Premium Sound package. I had hoped to get one without that package, as it makes it much easier to install my Empeg, but with only one around with all of the other packages I want, my only other choice is to order from the factory. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how much trouble it would be to either bypass the infinity amplifier, or should I see if the dealer can rip it out and put in the base radio?

I've found the Peripherals adapter that lets you plug in a normal head unit into the amplifier, but if I'm right, that just converts speaker level outputs down to a line level for the amplifier. I don't think that it would be good for the empeg to go to my apline amp, then to the converter, then to the infinity amp, then to the speakers..

Some info: The radio in it is the RBP AM/FM Radio/Cass/Cd/Equal/Chgr Ctrl, which from what I can determine doesn't have it's own amplifier.

#148896 - 16/03/2003 13:56 Re: Chrysler/Jeep Install question [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've found the Peripherals adapter that lets you plug in a normal head unit into the amplifier, but if I'm right, that just converts speaker level outputs down to a line level for the amplifier.
If it's the infinity amplifier, it needs a level somewhere below speaker-level, and somewhere above line-level. Any adapter you get would be a level-matching transformer, and it would either have to amplify up or attenuate down, depending on the input level.

I did an install to an Infinity system, and with the right adapter, it was very "plug and play", so I'd consider this a good thing that you've got the infinity system. Details of the install are here including screen shots of all the adapters used and their part number tags.

#148897 - 16/03/2003 14:34 Re: Chrysler/Jeep Install question [Re: tfabris]
Yang
addict

Awesome, this looks like I'm in good shape once I figure out the right adapters I'll need to get.

For my sub, I'll should be able to run the rear channel to a dual-output crossover to get my a line-level for the sub amp.

#148898 - 16/03/2003 14:43 Re: Chrysler/Jeep Install question [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
For my sub, I'll should be able to run the rear channel to a dual-output crossover to get my a line-level for the sub amp.
That would work. You wouldn't even necessarily need a separate crossover, most amps come with a crossover and passthru outputs built in. Check out this.

#148899 - 19/03/2003 00:16 Re: Chrysler/Jeep Install question [Re: tfabris]
Yang
addict

Whelp.. Did buy the Jeep, but have slighly different plans for my install.. The Amp that comes with the speakers is actually built into the front door speakers and handles amplifying and crossover of all three speakers on each side. So, in order to remove the amp, I have to replace the speakers (not really a bad idea, as I would be able to put in much better sounding speakers, and actually drive them better). Even though these are the upgraded stock speakers, they still don't sound anything like the polk/JBL's I had in my old truck..

I'm figuring some Infinity Kappa component's for the front (the crossovers mounted in the door where the old "crossover" was), and some dual-cone infinity kappas in the back. Then all I would have to do is run RCA's to my 4 channel amp, and speaker wire back up to the harness..

Will also have to look into hooking up the steering wheel controls, but that will have to wait until I get my tuner kit..

#148900 - 28/03/2003 19:59 Re: Chrysler/Jeep Install question [Re: Yang]
Yang
addict

Whee... finished my install today.. nothing really eventfull other than a couple scrapes on my fingers and taking about 4 times as long as I thought it would.

Front and rear speakers replaced with Infinity Kappa 6.5", still havent tackled replacing the stock tweeters though. Will take some pictures when I get it cleaned up..