Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14976 - 23/08/2000 04:37 your music
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
since i have nothing better to do this morning, i thought i'd ask what kind of stuff people are filling their empeg with. for instance, we know that hugo has some pretty poor stuff like hanson, etc. we know that tony has about 10 gig of rush. just curious about everyone else.

i've got...
all the zeppelin albums
alot of early black sabbath
original misfits
all type o negative albums
handel's messiah
lord of the dance
debbie gibson (remedied by the upcoming wendy filter)
alot of misc. stuff
hymns
the who
the entire "eddie murphey: raw" show

anyone else?

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#14977 - 23/08/2000 10:09 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
we know that tony has about 10 gig of rush.

Yeah, you got a problem with that?

Actually, you'd be surprised at how eclectic my collection is. And I don't even have all of Rush's catalog on CD or MP3- I own everything after 2112, but not the first three albums.

I do happen to have all of Steve Morse on there, including- get this- one album where I've had the physical CD stolen TWICE in stereo thefts, and the second time I'd already encoded it to MP3 so I just said, "screw it, I'm getting an Empeg", and I didn't replace it a second time.

As to what else is on there, let's see... The biggest collections are Rush, Steve Morse, Tori Amos, They Might Be Giants, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, and Sting.

But the collection's range of styles is quite wide overall. Everything from soft jazz (Pat Metheny- almost elevator music) to industrial (there's a couple of Nine Inch Nails albums on there).

But before you ask: there is not a single N'sync, Britney Spears, or New Kids on the Block song on the hard disk.

#14978 - 23/08/2000 11:47 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I happen to be a fan of early 90's music. No, not a "grunge" fan, more like a fan of bands labeled as "grunge".
At the moment I didn't have alot of time to put stuff on there, but all together I will be putting stuff like:

Screaming Trees* (my favorite band - just broke up)
Mark Lanegan* (of Screaming Trees)
Alice in Chains*
Stone Temple Pilots*
Pearl Jam
Blind Melon*
Beatles (I'm suprised, haven't heard this from anyone else)
Led Zepplin
Pond
Soundgarden*
Nirvana* (17 CD's)
MudHoney
Primus
Dave Matthews Band
...and plenty of others I only have 1 or 2 albums for
(*own all or most of their albums)

Then there's jazz stuff I'm putting on there (no, not soft jazz...jazz ).
Charlie Parker (a GOD!)
John Coltrane
Gerry Mulligan (best bari sax player ever)
Cannonball Aderley
various others

You may wonder "Why Primus and Alic In Chains mixed with Parker and Coltrane?"

Well after all, the liscense plates on my van read SAX MCHN

DiGNAN

#14979 - 23/08/2000 12:10 Re: your music [Re: Dignan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I was doing a lot of ripping while on the registration list. I converted everything I had to MP3, and selected the best tracks from my library. There is the usual stuff, plus some strange items...

From the rock area, there is the usual Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Moody Blues, Live, Beatles, R.E.M., Phish, Grateful Dead, etc. From a prog side, there is Renaissance, Yes, Marillion, Genesis, King Crimson, etc. A touch of classical (Bach, Vaughan Williams, etc.) and some jazz-like stuff (Brubek, Spyro Gyra, Vince Guaraldi, Manhattan Transfer). Some assorted strangeness thrown in. And, since I am into folk variations, lots of Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, The Morrigan, Broadside Electric, etc.

For "show and tell" purposes, I have put together a quick reference card with all of the major playlists, groups and their associated PINs. This is more for passenger use for the long term, but it forces me to think through the menu structure in advance.

Paul G.
R# 15189

Edited by pgrzelak on 23/8/00 08:37 PM.

#14980 - 23/08/2000 12:30 Re: your music [Re: pgrzelak]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Ok, good thread...

Here's some of the music that will go on my empeg... when I get one without Alzheimers...

- David Byrne
- The Cure
- Kate Bush
- Oingo Boingo
- Sting/Police
- Massive Attack
- Belle & Sebastian
- the The
- Bob Marley
- Steely Dan
- REM
- U2
- Big Audio Dynamite
- Shriekback
- Leonard Cohen
- Everything But the Girl
- Morcheeba
- New Order/Monaco/PSB
- Enigma/Deep Forest/Banco de Gaia
- Moby

etc...

- Jon

#14981 - 23/08/2000 13:25 Re: your music [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's funny, there are those who would classify Rush firmly in the "prog" group next to Yes, Genesis, and KC.

#14982 - 23/08/2000 13:34 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My Empeg is going to be largely full of big band swing music, ranging from 1930's and 40's originals (Armstrong, Basie, Goodman, Ellington, etc.), through 50's jump blues (Jordan, Gaillard, etc.) to current swing bands (George Gee, Eddie Reed, Bill Elliott, etc.). I'll also be stirring in a little techno and 80's new wave. That will fill my current 12GB and keep me happy for now. Once I can get one of these 30GB IBM drives, I'll be able to put the rest of my collection in (various 80's and 90's rock).

Amusingly, a sizable chunk of the music I'll be playing on my Empeg will be mono, and on some tracks you can hear the pops and clicks from the 78's they used for source material.

#14983 - 23/08/2000 14:48 Re: your music [Re: jbauer]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
As I began reading this thread, I thought... oh my God... what is everybody going to list? I'm pretty impressed by the variety and diversity shown by people on the list. I probably shouldn't be, since we're all avid music fans, so it's not all that much of a surprise that people enjoy a wide range of music. Anyhow, since I have no shame and don't fear the onslaught of comments, I'll list a few of the groups in the genres I listen to:

AC/DC
Tchaikovsky
Go-Go's
Manowar
Billy Joel
Nena (Any German's out there? Is she still around?)
Starship
Tokens
Steppenwolf
Technotronic
Creedence
No Doubt
Bryan Adams
4 Seasons
Shirelles
Vanessa Mae
Little Richard
Wham
Poison
Kenny G
and tons and tons and tons of soundtracks...

I've got a few MP3's from the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, and Michael Jackson, too... and I don't care who has a problem with that! The beats are pretty good. If it doesn't sound great I don't OWN it! But, I'll listen to something that's got a decent beat to it. I just won't spend $18 on a CD for one song. (Not to bring that subject up again...)

George

#14984 - 23/08/2000 15:54 Re: your music [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I seem to be in a minority here...

90% of my collection is what's commonly referred to as "classical" (we won't get into the actual definitions of Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, etc. as pertain to "classical" music...)

I have a little bit of Rock music -- all of it Rush. I don't so much like their music as I like their sound -- the superb production (on the remasters) and the incredibly tight performance. I appreciate virtuosity in any genre. If you want to gain a real appreciation of Rush, ask Tony if he'll email you the extraordinary analysis he sent me of the song "YYZ".

I have some music whose sole purpose is to amaze any unfortunates I can drag into my car so I can impress them with my stereo: "Vegas" by Crystal Method (a techno CD) and a "Pure Moods" CD that has unusually rich spectral balance.

And of course my IASCA competition CD.

The rest is odds and ends -- the soundtrack from "Cats", the three Tom Lehrer comedy CDs, "West Side Story" soundtrack, and two CDs from the animated cartoon series "Animaniacs" that exhibit superb production and very clever songs.

Not nearly as eclectic as most collections, but then it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. (I'll bet I'm the oldest empeg buyer on the bbs -- can anybody top 55 years old?)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#14985 - 23/08/2000 16:04 Re: your music [Re: DWallach]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
DWallach-

I recently ripped my 9 CD Louis Jordan boxset (from the Bear Family) to MP3. Not thinking, I ripped the works at 192k...

Funny how nice it made the pops and hiss sound... :)

#14986 - 23/08/2000 16:05 Re: your music [Re: bootsy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What I want to know, Bootsy, is if you have any Bootsy Collins in your collection.

#14987 - 23/08/2000 17:17 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Nothing wrong with classical, that's for sure. That is pure music in an art form! Do you have the Classical Thunder collection from Time Life? Or did you already have the pieces on other CD's? As I said, I was surprised at the diversity, but you've also got that "age" thing going for ya. It's okay, we'll let it slide. At least you aren't a techno-phobe!

George

#14988 - 23/08/2000 17:37 Re: your music [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Do you have the Classical Thunder collection from Time Life?

Yes.

Or did you already have the pieces on other CD's?

Yes.

tanstaafl. (for once a man of few words!)

#14989 - 23/08/2000 18:09 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
jstrain
enthusiast

in addition to my collection of depressingly heavy rock, i too have classical thunder. also a few odds and ends like the 4 seasons, hymns triumphant. of course, the greatest musical accomplishment known to man (neck and neck with stairway) is handel's messiah. that is half on there, b/c the second disc is too scratched to rip.

i also have the smattering of 80's music and hair bands. some beatles, alot of misc. oldies, soon, alot of christmas music (i'm one of those people who listens to christmas music year round), theatre of tragedy, and more junk than i can remember.

btw, am i the only misfits fan on the board? i got at least a couple hundred meg of glenn danzig howling about blood and guts.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#14990 - 23/08/2000 18:22 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

...b/c the second disc is too scratched to rip.

Oh, boy, have I got a deal for you!

Go here and get a bottle of this stuff. It really works. Unless your CD is damaged so badly that the foil itself is damaged, you can fix it.

The repair kit costs about as much as a new CD, and will fix 30 to 50 CDs.

Try it. Highly recommended.

tanstaafl.

#14991 - 23/08/2000 18:25 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
John Prine baby... yeah!

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!

#14992 - 23/08/2000 18:28 Re: your music [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Well, I gotta reply to this one...

Josh Abrahams
The Alan Parsons Project
Apollo 440
beXta
Boo Boo & Mace / Itch-E & Scratch-E (same people, different name)
The Cars
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Peter Gabriel
Icehouse
Jean-Michel Jarre
Juno Reactor
Paul Kelly
Leftfield
Mike Oldfield
Pink Floyd
Quench
Severed Heads
Split Enz
Tangerine Dream
Vangelis
Various artists (Adrenalin 1,3,5,6,8; Carl Cox FACT CDs 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b; DJs Down Under 1-4; Northern Exposure 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b; Trancemaster 4, 7, 17, 22)
Yello

Of course this is only a small sample of what will be on there (e.g. Holst's Planet Suite, Tommy Emmanuel) but it's a good sample.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#14993 - 23/08/2000 18:41 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
What I want to know, Bootsy, is if you have any Bootsy Collins in your collection.

Did you mean "any" or "all..." Heh. I'm kind of a freak for the Number One Funketeer.

PS: This is my first ever HTML coding... Fun.

#14994 - 23/08/2000 18:56 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Oh, I've got Danzig sitting here, too. Also Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Jackyl, The Poor and a bunch of techno (Best of Techno Trax) on 2 CD's that have T99, Klangwerk, L.A. Style, 2 Unlimited, Eskimos & Egypt and the like.

George

#14995 - 23/08/2000 20:41 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

of course, the greatest musical accomplishment known to man (neck and neck with stairway)

Hells yeah! It really ticked me off when VH1 put "respect" ahead of it in the 100 greatest rock songs.

By the way, tanstaafl, do you have any modern classical on there? I'd hate to think that Cage and Shoenberg are darkening the doorstep of your empeg. I can appreciate some of their musical risks (if you call it music), but I can't stand that stuff. Awful to the ears.

I'm putting some classical on mine as well.

I also have to take this chance to again reccomend the album "Ruby Vroom" by Soul Coughing. It has one of the crispest productions of any CD I own, and the bass is absolutely unbelieveable. Just listen to "Sugar Free Jazz" and you'll hear what starts out nice and quiet, then really grooves with a heavy bass line. It's also all acoustic bass, the best kind in my opinion. Definitely pick up the CD. It's like a mix of jazz and...something.

DiGNAN

#14996 - 23/08/2000 22:44 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Might as well take the easy way and pasting the artists field out of my empeg.csv:

A-Ha, Albert Lloyd Olsen, Animaniacs, Apociliptica, B-52's, Beck, Berlin, Big Blue Missile, Billy Joel, Blues Traveler, Blur, Bob Rivers, Braveheart, Bryan Adams, Burt Bacharach & Elvis Costell, Bust-A-Groove, Carl Douglas, Cheers Tvs, Christmas Nights, Christopher Franke, Chumbawamba, Cliff Eidelman, Counting Crows, Credeence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Danny Elfman, Dave Matthews Band, Depeche Mode, Des'ree, Devo, Don Davis, Doobie Brothers, Dr. Demento, Duran Duran, Eagles, Electric Funstuff, Enigma, Enya, Eric Clapton, Eurythmics, Everything But The Girl, Falco, Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day, Holst, Hootie and the Blowfish, Huey Lewis & the News, Jamiroquai, Jeehun Hwang, Jim Croce, Jimmy Buffet, John St. John, John Williams, Journey, Korn, Lenny Kravitz, Limahl, Los Del Rio, Madonna, Martin Page, Melanie G, Men at Work, Michael Kamen, Monty Python, New Order, Nine Inch Nails, Nobuo Uematsu, Oasis, OMC, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins & Mark Mancina, Pink Floyd, Police, Propellerheads, Queen, Quincy Jones and his Orchestra, R.E.M., Randy Edelman, Ren & Stimpy, RNS Presents, Rob D, Robbie Williams, Robert Miles, Roxette, Rusted Root, Sarah McLachlan, Savage Garden, Seth Jackson, Sheryl Crow, Smash Mouth, Smashing Pumkins, Soft Cell, Sophie B. Hawkins, Spin Doctors, Starship, Sting, Strange Angel, Supernova, Supertramp, Survivor, Taco, The Byrds, The Cranberries, The Firm, The Flaming Lips, The Lucy Nation, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Tokens, The Who, They Might Be Giants, Third Eye Blind, Thomas Newman, Tom Petty, Tommy Tutone, Toto, Tracy W. Bush, Trio, U2, UB40, Us 3, Van Morrison, Verve, Village People, Wallflowers, Weird Al Yankovic, Will Smith, Yanni, Yes

Plus many game soundtracks from things like the action pased music in Unreal and Half-Life, to the relaxing sounds of Final Fantasy Symponic CD. Also I had lots of soundtracks from movies and anime loaded. I plan on putting on more techno and upbeat music onto the Mk2 once I get mine, since the 6gb I had in the Mk1 was not enough for all my varities of music tastes. (The game and TMBG alone took at least 50% of the space)

#14997 - 24/08/2000 03:18 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
In reply to:

btw, am i the only misfits fan on the board? i got at least a couple hundred meg of glenn danzig howling about blood and guts.

The Misfits love 'em, but it's all on vinyl, so it's tricky to rip
Also have a few Samhain LPs (again on vinyl, one on CD) and the first 3 Danzig albums (only one on CD I think) I think I prefer all the original Misfits stuff to the Danzig stuff though. Saw Danzig live once, supporting Metallica on the "..And Justice for All" tour if I remember correctly (seems like such a long time ago!)

I used to listen to nothing but heavy metal: Metallica, Anthrax, Venom, all that kind of thing. I guess I've mellowed a bit... but now you've put me in the mind to go out and track down some Misfits stuff on CD!

I must check what I have on the Mk2 (The 4GB of the Mk1 is full, so I have to keep shuffling the contents around) but it includes (in no particular order) the remastered Led Zeppelin stuff, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Moby, Alice in Chains, Bill Hicks, Badly Drawn Boy, Coldplay, Embrace, Babybird, Chris Cornell, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Toploader, Moondog, Bert Jansch, Eels, Kenny Rogers(!), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series, The Charlatans, The Divine Comedy, The Tea Party, The Chemical Brothers, Mogwai, Orbital, PaulWay(AlephOne & Infinity mix), Robert Miles, Mansun, Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack, South Park movie soundtrack, Radiohead, James, Madonna and a lot of stuff that has just slipped my mind right now...

If I get round to it, I may also rip the 13-CD set of the BBC Radio adaptation of 'The Lord of the Rings' and put it in there too (it's as close as I can get to the joke about the 'Ring Cycle' from the original empeg web site!)

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...

Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#14998 - 24/08/2000 04:27 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
Scott
stranger

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Here goes...

Every CD from Iron Maiden (Metal)
Every CD from Spyro Gyra (Jazz)
Every CD from The Rippingtons (Jazz)

Then I have playlists set up with songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's catargorized by music type - Disco, Easy Listening, Pop, Rap, etc..
(I'm particularly proud of the "one hit wonder" singles I have from long lost rock groups of the 80's)

The rest is a mix of "best of" singles from the following groups:
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Motley Crue
Sammy Hagar
Van Halen
King Diamond
Rob Halford
Judas Priest
Rob Zombie
Abba <--- How'd they get here?!?!?

Much to much to completely list!! I have a 10 gigger and I only have 700mb left!

Scott (00342)

#14999 - 24/08/2000 04:52 Re: your music [Re: Dignan]
jstrain
enthusiast

you said it. how could someone vote respect above stairway. its a travesty of justice. when it comes to the rock/pop music genre, i gotta go with stairway to heaven as the greatest song, but all music considered, i am continually blown away by the messiah. i actually have had the chance to see it 3 years running at the philadelphia academy of music. unfortunately the second time i went, they replaced the alto with a contra tenor or something like that. basically a guy sang all the alto solos. i was not impressed to say the least.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#15000 - 24/08/2000 04:56 Re: your music [Re: drakino]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

The 'Village People', I was about to slate you then I remember I have one on vinyl - oops!!

Hey, Monty Python execllent idea, I have some of that on vinyl too and also Derek and Clive (Who the hell you may ask?), would make some humerous alternative material on my daily trek.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#15001 - 24/08/2000 04:57 Re: your music [Re: Geoff]
jstrain
enthusiast

i actually just bought the misfits collection 1 cd just to hear what they sounded like, but i liked it so much (i had never really heard anything like it before) that i ended up buying just about all of the cds by the original lineup (i haven't even heard anything off of the last two albums from the 90's).

regarding LOTR, i would love to do that. i just finished reading it for the second or third time, and at this point, i am deep in the middle of the silmarillion. i am just blown away with tolkien's writing.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#15002 - 24/08/2000 04:59 Re: your music [Re: drakino]
jstrain
enthusiast

is that apocalyptica as in the guys with the cellos? i have both of their cds. i really liked what they did with metallica, although i never knew anyone else that listened to them. also, is bob rivers the twisted christmas guy? i have his version of iron man (i am santa claus) floating around on the empeg somewhere.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#15003 - 24/08/2000 05:58 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
Big John

Hi,

You started this... A snap shot of my Empeg from a few months ago...

Alannah Myles, Alison Moyet, B52s, Bad Company, Bangles, Barenaked Ladies, Bee
Gees, Billy Idol, Björk\Debut, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Bob Seger, Bonnie
Tyler Boston, Britney Spears, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Bush, Camel,
Captain and Tennille, Carly Simon, Carpenters, Cast, Celine Dion, Chaka Khan,
Cher, Chicago 17, Chris Rea, Christina Aguilera, Christopher Cross, Clannad,
Coolio, Curtis Stigers, Cyndi Lauper, Diana Ross, Dire Straits, Donna Summer,
Earth Wind & Fire, Edgar Winter, Elvis Presley, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Eric
Clapton, Eric Johnson, Eurythmics, Faithless, Family, FatBoy Slim, Fleetwood
Mac, Fluke, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Fugees, Genesis, George Benson George
Michael, Gloria Estefan, Go West, Gomez, Guns 'N' Roses, Hall & Oates, Herb
Alpert, Hipsway, Hot Chocolate, Howard Jones, Huey Lewis & the News, INXS,
Isley Bothers, Jamiroquai, Janet Jackson, Jean Michel Jarre, Jennifer
Lopez, Jimmy Hendrix, Joan Armatrading, Joe Jackson, Joe Cocker, Jennifer
Warnes, John Miles, Joni Mitchell, Journey, Judy Tzuke, Kate Bush, Kenny
Thomas, Kid Creole and the Coconuts, Kraftwerk, Laura Branigan, Led
Zeppelin, Leftfield, Level 42, Lighthouse Familiy, Linda
Ronstadt, Lionel Richie, Lisa Stansfield, Little Feat, Lynard Skynard, M
People, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Marrillion, Marvin Gaye, Matt Bianco, Meat
Loaf, Melanie C, Micheal Jackson, Mike & the Mechanics, Mike Oldfield,
Moloko, Nat King Cole, Natalie Imbruglia, New Radicals, Nirvana,
Oasis, Otis Redding, Pat Benetar, Paul Weller, Pet Shop Boys, Peter
Frampton, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, Primal
Scream, Prince, Queen, R.E.M, Randy Newman, Red Hot Chili
Peppers, Reef, REO Speedwagon, Rick Wakeman, Robbie Williams, Robert
Palmer, Roberta Flack, Rush, Sade, Santana, Savage Garden, Seal, Shalamar,
Shania Twain, Sheena Easton, Simply Red, Spandau Ballet, Spiritualized, Steely
Dan, Stereophonics, Steve Miller Band, Steve Winwood, Stevie Nicks, Stevie
Wonder, Sting, Style Council, Suzanne Vega, Tangerine Dream, Ten Sharp,
Terence Trent Darby, The Alan Parsons Project, The Allman Brothers, The
Beatles, The Cardigans, The Chemical Brothers, The Christians, The
Commitments, The Corrs, The Doobie Brothers, The Isley Brothers, The Jam, The
Lightning Seeds, The Police, The Pretenders, The Prodigy, The Seahorses, The
Stranglers, The Tubes, Thin Lizzy, Thomas Dolby, Tina Turner, Tom
Jones, Tom Petty, Tony Remy, T'Pau, Tracy Chapman, Underworld, Verve, Whitney
Houston, Wilson Pickett, Yes, ZZ Top, Sonny Blacks Blues Band, Armand Van
Helden, Basement Jaxx, Roni Size, Danny Tenaglia, Darren Emerson, Dave
Seaman, John Digweed, Nick Warren, Paul Oakenfold, Sasha, Seb
Fontaine, Tony De Vit, Crowded House, John Lee Hooker, Sam Brown, Wilson
Phillips, Frank Sinatra, Stan Getz, Gloria Estefan, Louise

These are some of the main artists and DJ's, it's mainly filled with Dance & Trance compilations.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#15004 - 24/08/2000 06:23 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
Big John

Hi,

I have a little bit of Rock music -- all of it Rush. I don't so much like their music as I like their sound -- the superb production (on the remasters) and the incredibly tight performance. I appreciate virtuosity in any genre. If you want to gain a real appreciation of Rush, ask Tony if he'll email you the extraordinary analysis he sent me of the song "YYZ".

That track **KICKS**, it's always played at 0dBm and makes the car shudder and shake, excellent!

Regards,

#15005 - 24/08/2000 08:10 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
Squid
stranger

Loc: CA
My EMPEG (when I get it) will have the following loaded first. Yes, I love to have my ears bleed!! ;)

Accept, AC-DC, Acheron, Agathodaimon, Alcatrazz, Amon Amarth, Ancient Ceremony, And Oceans, Angel Witch, Annihilator, Anthrax, Arcturus, Armored Saint, As Divine Grace, Asphyx, At The Gates, Attacker, Bal-Sagoth, Barathrum, Barren Cross, Bathory, Battlezone, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, Blitzkrieg, Blue Oyster Cult, Bolt Thrower, Borknagar, Boston, Bruce Dickinson, Burzum, Carnivore, Celtic Frost, Children Of Bodom, Chrome Molly, Cinderella, Cirith Ungol, Covenant, Cradle of Filth, Crimson Glory, Danzig, Dark Angel, Dark Funeral, Dark Throne, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, December Moon, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Deicide, Demon, Demoniac, Demons & Wizards, Destruction, Diabolos Rising, Diamond Head, Dimmu Borgir, Dio, Dissection, Disturbed, Dokken, Doro, Dragon, Dream Theater, Edge of Sanity, Electric Light Orchestra, Emerald Rain, Enslaved, Enthroned, EZO, Fates Warning, Fifth Angel, Firehouse, Flotsam And Jetsam, Frozen Shadows, Funeral Oration, Gehenna, Graveworm, Grim Reaper, Gwar, Hades, Hammerfall, Heaven, Heavy Load, Heavy Pettin', Hecate Enthroned, Helix, Helloween, Helstar, Iced Earth, Icon, Immortal, In Flames, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kansas, Keel, Kick Axe, King Diamond, King Kobra, Kingdom Come, KISS, Krokus, Leatherwolf, Lillian Axe, Lionsheart, Loudness, Manowar, Marduk, Megadeth, Memento Mori, Mercyful Fate, Metal Church, Metallica, Michael Schenker Group, Mithotyn, Moonspell, Morgana Lefay, Mortiis, Motley Crue, My Dying Bride, Nasty Savage, Nazareth, Nevermore, Niden Div. 187, Nightwish, Nitro, Nocturnal Rites, Nokturnal Mortum, Novembers Doom, October Tide, Omen, Opeth, Overkill, Ozzy Osbourne, Peccatum, Praying Mantis, Pretty Maids, Prophet, Queen, Queensryche, Quiet Riot, Quiet Riot (with Randy Rhodes), Rainbow, Raised Fist, Ratt, Raven, Riot, Rotting Christ, Rough Cutt, Rush, Samael, Sanctuary, Satan, Satyricon, Savage, Savatage, Saxon, Scorpions, Setherial, Sigh, Slayer, Steelheart, Storm, Stratovarius, Stryper, STYX, Sword, Symphony X, Tank, Testament, The Black, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Therion, Tiamat, TNT, Tokyo Blade, Tristania, Triumph, Type O Negative, Tyrant, U.D.O., Ulver, Uriah Heep, Vader, Van Halen, Varathron, Virgin Steele, Vixen, W.A.S.P., Warlock, Warrant, Warrior, White Wolf, Whitesnake, Widowmaker, Winter, Witchery, Witchfinder General, Wolfsbane, Y & T, Yngwie Malmsteen

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#15006 - 24/08/2000 08:13 Re: your music [Re: Scott]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

(I'm particularly proud of the "one hit wonder" singles I have from long lost rock groups of the 80's)

Cool! What a great idea? Do these have their own playlist?

Let's all have a guess at what's in there... "Take on me" from "Ah-ha" would be number one on the list, I think...

Abba <--- How'd they get here?!?!?

You can say it's for demo purposes only: Searching for "Abba" on the remote is "2222". Although I did declare a moratorium on that example a few months ago.

#15007 - 24/08/2000 10:12 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
"Take on me" from "Ah-ha" would be number one on the list, I think...

It's "A-Ha", and they had 6 top five hits in the UK, according to Hugo's copy of "Guinness British Hit Singles". "Take on me" only got to number 2. "The Sun Always Shines on TV" is their only UK number one.

Oops.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#15008 - 24/08/2000 10:17 Re: your music [Re: Roger]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
It's "A-Ha", and they had 6 top five hits in the UK, according to Hugo's copy of "Guinness British Hit Singles". "Take on me" only got to number 2. "The Sun Always Shines on TV" is their only UK number one.

I thought I noticed your anorak on the coat stand this morning...

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#15009 - 24/08/2000 10:39 Re: your music [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

UK singles charts don't count, everybody knows that.

#15010 - 24/08/2000 11:40 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Oh and I suppose that the 5 competing singles charts in the US are better are they?

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#15011 - 24/08/2000 13:05 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I can't wait to get my lists a going and on the Empeg...only a few more days... *drool drool*

Mine will mostly be punk/emo/indie rock, but i've got a ton of classical, jazz, and some hip hop type stuff to slap on there as well. The only problem is going to be wading through the 35 gigs of mp3's i have to see what has the clout to go on the almighty Empeg! Damn, i wish i could afford that 36 giger... self upgrade here i come.

I wonder if i classify as the youngest Empeg owner!? heheh. I was number #13810 so i have to find SOMETHING to feel special about. =] Anyone under 22 out there?

||| loren.cox
||| reg:13810
||| 12GB blue

#15012 - 24/08/2000 13:36 Re: your music [Re: loren]
jstrain
enthusiast

actually, i'm 22. i was wondering who was the youngest here. anyone beat me and loren and i beat?

12 gig, green...

#15013 - 24/08/2000 13:37 Re: your music [Re: phaigh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Touché.

#15014 - 24/08/2000 20:36 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
drakino
carpal tunnel

is that apocalyptica as in the guys with the cellos? i have both of their cds. i really liked what they did with metallica, although i never knew anyone else that listened to them.

Yep, I have always enjoyed their songs, really useful for when I want something relaxing, but a bit different.

also, is bob rivers the twisted christmas guy? i have his version of iron man (i am santa claus) floating around on the empeg somewhere.

Yep again. I have the I Am Santa Claus CD on there, and Wrong Foot Amputated song as well.

#15015 - 24/08/2000 20:44 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
drakino
carpal tunnel

anyone beat me and loren

Yes. Not saying by how much though :-P

#15016 - 24/08/2000 21:06 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

One hit wonders of the eighties, eh? Let's see, where did I put my compilation CDs...

The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
Cameo - Word Up
Arcadia - Election Day
Mi-Sex - Computer Games
M.A.R.R.S. - Pump Up The Volume
Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (_the_ quintessential Eighties One Hit Wonder)

Hmmm - two-hit wonders?

Devo - Beautiful World
Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
The Stranglers - Skin Deep
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
A-Ha - Take On Me
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
The Models - I Hear Motion

...and then we have to include bands like Icehouse, The Cars, Howard Jones, Kate Bush, Blondie, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Split Enz, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Yello, Queen, Pink Floyd, Crowded House, Duran Duran...

Ah, it's just a small portion of the One Hit Wonder population, anyway...

#15017 - 24/08/2000 21:08 Re: your music [Re: PaulWay]
jbauer
veteran

Dude, no way is Kate Bush a one hit wonder... Gabriel? Floyd? Not one hit wonders...

- Jon

#15018 - 24/08/2000 21:12 Re: your music [Re: jbauer]
PaulWay
addict

In reply to:

Dude, no way is Kate Bush a one hit wonder... Gabriel? Floyd? Not one hit wonders...

I'm not saying they were, just sort of including them in the Eighties nostalgia...

#15019 - 24/08/2000 22:03 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
is that apocalyptica as in the guys with the cellos? i have both of their cds. i really liked what they did with metallica, although i never knew anyone else that listened to them.

I have them too, really good stuff.

Borislav

#15020 - 25/08/2000 00:17 Re: your music [Re: PaulWay]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I assume you have one of the quintessential one-hit wonders on there:
Unbelieveable - EMF

it's not 80's but it fits the bill.

By the way, I've got you two beat by 2 years. Drakino, you younger than 20? I assume by your answer it's a yes

DiGNAN

#15021 - 25/08/2000 06:00 Re: your music [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

do you have any modern classical on there?

Depends on how you define modern, I guess. Stravinsky and Prokofiev are about as far as I go in that direction. I agree with your assessment of John Cage et. al., but bear in mind the lessons of history... almost every great composer was reviled to some extent in his own time. The innovators are not appreciated until several generations have passed.

tanstaafl.

#15022 - 25/08/2000 07:18 Re: your music [Re: PaulWay]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (_the_ quintessential Eighties One Hit Wonder)

Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)

Hmmm - two-hit wonders?

The Stranglers - Skin Deep

Golden Brown, Peaches, Waltzinblack?

#15023 - 25/08/2000 22:13 Re: your music [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Drakino, you younger than 20? I assume by your answer it's a yes

I was when I had the Mk1. The Mk2 will be a late 2 decade presant to myself.

#15024 - 25/08/2000 22:21 Re: your music [Re: Dignan]
dionysus
veteran

Hmm.. It'd be kinda hard not to respond to this one...

23am Robert Miles
45 RPM Paul Van Dyk
808 State 808 State
80s
97 Octane Diesel Boy
A Soldier's Story Diesel Boy
A Taste of Pork
Add it Up Violent Femmes
Adore Smashing Pumpkins
Alexia Alexia
All Mixed Up Keoki
AMP
Another Night Real McCoy
Aphrodite@MixMag @MixMag
Aqua Aqua
Aquatic Journey Kyle Hogan
Astral Projection Astral Projection
Bad Boy Bill Bad Boy Bill
Barenaked Ladies Barenaked Ladies
Bedrock CD 2 John Digweed
Berlin Berlin
Billy Idol Billy Idol
Blind Melon Blind Melon
Blink 182 Blink 182
Blue Amazon Javelin
Blue Sky Red Earth Midnight Oil
Blues Traveler Blues Traveler
Bob Marley Bob Marley
brit pop
BT BT
Candlebox Candlebox
Carl Cox Carl Cox
Chemical Brothers Chemical Brothers
CJ Bolland@Fuse CJ Bolland
ClubTrance '99
Counting Crows Counting Crows
Crash Dave Matthews Band
Cruel Intentions
Crystal Method Crystal Method
dance
Dave Matthews Band Dave Matthews Band
Debut Bjork
Deep Forest Deep Forest
Deep Shades of Hooj Hooj
Delicate Sound Of Thunder Pink Floyd
Delicate Sound of Thunder dsk1 Pink Floyd
Delicate Sound of Thunder dsk2 Pink Floyd
Depeche Mode
Destination Goa 5
Destination Goa 5a Various
Destination Goa 5b Various
Diesel Boy Diesel Boy
Disco Death Race 2000 Keoki
Disintegration The Cure
Distance to Here Live
dj D dj D
dj Hardware dj Hardware
dj Micro dj Micro
dj Tiesto dj Tiesto
Dreamland Robert Miles
easy listening
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
Elements 1st Testament Seb Fontaine
Enigma Enigma
Enigma III Enigma
ENIGMA MCMXC a.D. Enigma
Enrique Iglesias Enrique Iglesias
ESCM (Electric Sky Church Music) BT
Essential Selections Hotmix Paul Van Dyk
Extra Virgin Olive
Fatboy Slim Fatboy Slim
Fem 2 Fem Fem 2 Fem
Fight Club The Dust Brothers
Fluoro Cd1 Paul Oakenfold
Frankfurt 2000
Frankfurt 2000 disk 1
Frankfurt 2000 disk 2
Freedom - Thee Sound of Zen (disc 2 of 2)
Freedom Sessions Sarah Mclachlan
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy Sarah McLachlan
Garth Brooks Garth Brooks
Gatecrasher Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher Early Set Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher Late Set Gatecrasher
Global Underground 005 - dsc1 Nick Warren
Global Underground 005 - dsc2 Nick Warren
Global Underground 07 - new york Paul Oakenfold
Global Underground 07 - new york - cd1 Paul Oakenfold
Global Underground 07 - new york - cd2 Paul Oakenfold
Global Underground 09 Sasha
Global Underground 10 Danny Tenaglia
Global Underground 2 CD2 Sasha
Global Underground 5 Nick Warren
Global Underground 9 CD1 Sasha
Global Underground Series
God Shuffled His Feet Crash Test Dummies
hip hop
Hits Unlimited 2 Unlimited
Home @ Space, Ibiza dsk1 Paul Oakenfold
Hootie & The Blowfish Hootie & The Blowfish
Hyperstate dj Lemon
Ibiza Global Underground Sasha
Ibiza Global Underground dsk1 Sasha
Ibiza Global Underground dsk2 Sasha
If I Could Fly Grace
I'll be there for you/you're all I need to get by Method Man
In The Mix Robert Miles
Independence Night Sasha & Digweed
Isle of Lost Treasures dj Tiesto
J Spew Various
Jars of Clay Jars of Clay
Jarve
Joe C Joe C
Joe C Live@Simons Joe C
John Digweed John Digweed
John Digweed - Live in Orlando John Digweed
Jungle
Keoki Keoki
Kimball Collins Kimball Collins
kimball collins - ICU Session 1
kimball collins - unknown
Kruder & Dorfmeister dj Kicks
Len Len
Lil Champ Jarve
Live Live
Live at HyperState '99 dj Tiesto
Live at Innercity Amsterdram dj Tiesto
Live in China Paul Oakenfold
Live in Havana Paul Oakenfold
Live in Havana part 1
Live in Havana part 2
Live in London Jean Michael Jare
Live in Sydney, Australia Paul Oakenfold
Live in Sydney, Australia part 1
Live in Sydney, Australia part 2
live mixes
Live@Massive 2 Bad Boy Bill
Live@Syrous Bad Boy Bill
Madonna Madonna
Mark Farina Mark Farina
Micro-tech Mix dj Micro
Miguel Miguel
Ministry of Sound - Trance Nation 3
misc 80's
misc dance
Movement In Still Life BT
Moving Pictures Rush
Neckthrust One Mixmaster Mike
Neptune dj Stoki
New Order New Order
Nikita Paul Van Dyk
Nikita - San Francisco Paul Van Dyk
Nitemares Jarve
Northern Exposure
Northern Exposure - 0 Degrees North Sasha & John Digweed
Northern Exposure - 0 Degrees South Sasha & John Digweed
Northern Exposure: Expedition 2 Sasha & John Digweed
one black night dj Blaq
Our Time in Eden 10,000 Maniacs
Out of Time R.E.M.
Passion (single) K5
Paul Oakenfold Paul Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyk Paul Van Dyk
Paul Van Dyk Paul Van Dyk
PaulWay Infinity Mixes Paulway
Pet Shop Boys Pet Shop Boys
Pieces of you Jewel
Pink Floyd Pink Floyd
Play Moby
pop
Portishead Portishead
Prodigy Prodigy
Progression Sessions 001 Promo cd1 dj Hardware
Progression Sessions 001 Promo cd2 dj Hardware
punk
R.E.M. R.E.M.
Radio Unity dj Orkidea
Renaissance Renaissance
Renaissance Mix 1 CD 1 Sasha & John Digweed
Renaissance Mix 1 CD 3 Sasha & John Digweed
Republic New Order
Richie Hawtin Richie Hawtin
Rise Christopher Lawrence
Robert Miles Robert Miles
rock
Roll the Bones Rush
Rush Rush
Sampladelic Relics and Dancefloor Oddities Deee-Lite
Sarah Mclachlan Sarah Mclachlan
Sash Sash
Sasha Sasha
Sasha Sasha
Seven Ways Paul Van Dyk
[censored] i don't know Steve
Sister Hazel Sister Hazel
Smash Mouth Smash Mouth
Smashing Pumpkins Smashing Pumpkins
Smi)e Mix Session 1 DJ Scott Henry
So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes NoFX
soundtracks
Space Age dj Tiesto & dj Montana
Stone Temple Pilots Stone Temple Pilots
Sublime Sublime
Sunday Night Special Jarve
Surrender Chemical Brothers
System F - Ferry Corsten (Disc One)
System F - Ferry Corsten (Disc Two)
Taucher MegaMix Taucher
Tech-Mix 200 dj Micro
techno
Temples of Boom Cypress Hill
The Best of New Order New Order
The Carnival Wyclef Jean
The Cranberries The Cranberries
The Cure The Cure
The Cycle The Cycle
The Cycle - From Here Jarve
The Cycle - To There Jarve
The Dream Mixes Tangerine Dream
The Head on the Door The Cure
The Love Movement A Tribe Called Quest
The Perfect Compilation Perfection
The Score Fugees
The Singles 86-98 Depeche Mode
The Wall Pink Floyd
The Wall dsk1 Pink Floyd
The Wall dsk2 Pink Floyd
They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants
Throwing Copper Live
Tori Amos Tori Amos
Tragic Kingdom No Doubt
Train Train
Tranceport Paul Oakenfold
Tranceport II - Arrivals Dave Ralph
Tranceport III Sandra Collins
Tranceport Series
Trippin Trippin
Tunnel Trance Force 11
Tunnel Trance Force 11 CD1
Tunnel Trance Force 11 CD2
UK Brit House Mix UK Brit House Mix
Ultra Depeche Mode
Under Pressure Joe C
Under The Table And Dreaming Dave Matthews Band
unsorted
Urban Jungle Aphrodite
Vengaboys Vengaboys
Wall of Voodoo Wall of Voodoo
Watermark Enya
When I Woke Rusted Root

....Plus an unsorted list which has a good 4gb worth of misc. music in it..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#15025 - 26/08/2000 01:27 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
Aouali
new poster

Loc: South East - England
We are filling it with:

Pink Floyd
Genesis
Phil Collins
dIRE sTRAIGHTS
The Alan Parsons Project
Enigma
Clannad
Camel
The Tragically Hip
Smashing Pumpkins
Kate Bush
Queen
Gun's N Roses
Rolling Stone
Black Sabbath
Annie Lennox
David Bowie
plus lots of 80s music, Rai and dance music, and Trance music.

Aouali :)

#15026 - 26/08/2000 08:09 Re: your music [Re: PaulWay]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
...and then we have to include bands like Icehouse, The Cars, Howard Jones, Kate Bush, Blondie, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Split Enz, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Yello, Queen, Pink Floyd, Crowded House, Duran Duran...

Ah, it's just a small portion of the One Hit Wonder population, anyway...

Er, you consider these one hit wonders? Well, de gustibus...

(Oops, I read some more of the same thread. OK, so Paul doesn't think they are one hit wonders, merely nostalgia.... Boy, they are just good music !)

Anyway, I should better stop reading this thread. I keep interpreting (correcly, after all) your lists as recommendations, and I even don't have to fetch my CC; all detais are there on cdnow and others similar, tempting and expensive places...

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green

Edited by bonzi on 26/8/00 04:16 PM.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15027 - 26/08/2000 08:42 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

dIRE sTRAIGHTS

Is this a different band than Dire Straits?

#15028 - 26/08/2000 13:47 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
Aouali
new poster

Is this a different band than Dire Straits?

*LOL* that what happenes when you try to type without thinking.

And when I think that dIRE sTRAITS are my favourit band ever.

#15029 - 26/08/2000 20:27 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Heh, it's OK. English isn't your first language (right?), so the straights/straits thing probably doesn't make a lot of sense to you anyhow. I shouldn't tease, since I can't even speak two languages.

#15030 - 27/08/2000 01:06 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
Aouali
new poster

So what's the difference between straights and straits? :) I don't mind people correcting my english, in fact I demand people to correct my english, especially the pronounciation :) My husband (who is English that's why I
live here in England) doesn't want me to loose my french accent, but I am desparat (sp?) to loose it.

I am raising my sons bilanguale, hope they wont get confused as they are still babies.

Aouali is a trilanguale btw (english is my 3rd language that's why it's baad)

#15031 - 27/08/2000 01:24 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So what's the difference between straights and straits?

Well, "dire straits" is an old saying. It means "to be in danger" or in some other kind of difficult situation.

I don't know where the origin of the old phrase comes from, but the word "dire" means "serious" or "extreme", and "straits" usually means a narrow passage (usually water) between two impassable barriers (such as continents or mountains or whatever). Hmm, now that I think about it, it doesn't make much sense. But then, old sayings rarely make sense. I'm sure someone will come along and correct me on this, because now I'm not so sure about my definition.

On the other hand "straight" means, well, straight. A straight line. In fact, in that context, you wouldn't even say "straights"- it's a non-word.

Except that in recent years, the word "straight" is now slang for "heterosexual" when referring to the difference between gay and straight. So in that context, you could say "straights" when referring to more than one straight person.

So, in essence, by calling the band "Dire Straights", you're saying they're extremely serious heterosexuals. Which might be true, I don't know, I've never met them.

PS: "straights" can also refer to normal people among abnormal people. For instance, sane persons in the company of insane persons. Bill Murray says a great line in Ghostbusters 2. There's a scene where his fellow ghostbusters show up at a fancy restaurant covered in slime and acting crazy, and Bill tells them "You're scaring the straights!"

That concludes the English lesson for today.

#15032 - 27/08/2000 04:49 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Without wanting to start a flame, but is the irony of an american teaching a french person english, lost on everyone but me?

Otherwise, the description is spot on, but "straights" is still not a word, whether they said it in Ghostbusters or not.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#15033 - 27/08/2000 12:03 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
Aouali
new poster

Thanks for the explanation :) there are so much words I need to learn :)

#15034 - 27/08/2000 12:12 Re: your music [Re: phaigh]
Aouali
new poster

Without wanting to start a flame, but is the irony of an american teaching a french person english, lost on everyone but
me?

My husband always argues that I am learning more american-english than proper english-english because most of the internet community are americans

#15035 - 27/08/2000 23:21 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

don't know where the origin of the old phrase comes from, but the word "dire" means "serious" or "extreme", and "straits" usually means a narrow passage (usually water) between two impassable barriers (such as continents or mountains or whatever). Hmm, now that I think about it, it doesn't make much sense. But then, old sayings rarely make sense.

Reference to myth of Scilla and Haridba (sp?), perhaps? Or to real world dire (dangerous) straits, such as Magellan's at Tierra Fuego (or whatever is original name for Vatrena Zemlja, as we call the tip of South America).

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15036 - 27/08/2000 23:31 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
bonzi
pooh-bah

My husband (who is English that's why I live here in England) doesn't want me to loose my french accent, but I am desparat (sp?) to loose it.

So he can boast 'See how charming is my charming wife's accent', eh?

I am raising my sons bilanguale, hope they wont get confused as they are still babies.

I am glad to hear you do. I find it sad when children don't understand their grandparents. However, child psychologists often maintain that it is best to let child grasp a very concept of speach with one language first, and than (say, at the age of two) start with others. On the other hand, I know for several bilingual and one trilingual child (Croatian parents in Belgium) and they all learned all their languages simultaneosly with no ill effects.

BTW, how is your name pronounced?

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

#15037 - 28/08/2000 03:46 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
Squid
stranger

Aouali said:
In reply to:

(bilingual) This is the best thing to do. Especially if 1 parent always speaks one language and the other parent always speaks the second language. You may find that they do not talk as quickly as some children but they are able to understand both languages. Once they do start talking you will find them to be surprisingly proficient with both languages. So, keep it up and do not let anyone tell you it is making it difficult for them.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#15038 - 28/08/2000 05:49 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
Aouali
new poster

However, child psychologists often maintain that it is best to let child grasp a very concept of speach with one language first, and than (say, at the age of two) start with others.

I thought that too but then when I see how many languages there are in the world and how many cultures/countries I can't help but think that we are born to be multilinguale :) Oh and the BBC was featuring an interesting program about Brain Story and they said that our brain is already programmed to grasp more than one language from birth.

BTW, how is your name pronounced?

click here

Aouali

#15039 - 28/08/2000 05:58 Re: your music [Re: Squid]
Aouali
new poster

You may find that they do not talk as quickly as some children but they are able to
understand both languages.

Yes I noticed, my older son is nearly 20 months old and say very few words, I talk with him exclusivery in french
(since he was born) and my husband and the other people here in England talk with him in English, yet he says
more french words than english, but he does understand absolutely *everything* either in french or english . I can't wait when he start talking so that i can have proper conversations with him :)
So, keep it up and do not let anyone tell you it is making it difficult for them.
sometimes I get worried, especially when I see how my son's playmates already talk more than my son

Aouali

#15040 - 28/08/2000 15:34 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
FriendlyDogSalad
new poster

Loc: Denver, Colorado USA
Wow... there are lots of different music tastes here... now i don't feel real weird...

my collection goes from ear blistering pissed off music (the chewing on tin foil kind) to good 80's pop music (police, fixx, etc.) to classical (magic flute, dom giovanni, etc.)

there isn't an emotion that is not represented in my collection...

also on an embarrasing side note, i was recently getting ready for bed one night while i heard a band on 'The Tonight Show' and was really jamming to the song. i go into the tv room to see who it is... and it was HANSON!... i am ashamed but i will be buying thier newest cd to add to my collection...
*sigh*
/me braces for the laughter.

even tho' i won't have the money when my number comes up, i will be getting a markII (even if i don't eat for the next three months)

gawd! i need my empeg fix so bad i can taste it!

---Proud owner of empeg registration number 14309 (ugh!)---

#15041 - 28/08/2000 15:47 Re: your music [Re: FriendlyDogSalad]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

If you are interested in selling / trading your low number, there might be a few buyers around... I wonder if the empeg folks would mind scalping low numbers... To paraphrase Steven Wright, "I was arrested for scalping low numbers in the deli... Sold a number 3 for $40..."

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a 36GB Mk2)

#15042 - 28/08/2000 15:48 Re: your music [Re: FriendlyDogSalad]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

and it was HANSON!... i am ashamed but i will be buying thier newest cd to add to my collection...

Hey, if it's good enough for Hugo, it's good enough for the rest of us, right?

#15043 - 28/08/2000 15:54 Re: your music [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I wonder if the empeg folks would mind scalping low numbers...

The Empeg folks send invitations to specific persons not to a number. If you place an order claiming that you have a low queue number, but your personal details don't match the invitee's original details, they won't sell it to you. This is specifically to prevent queue jumping or scalping of queue numbers.

The only way you could get your Empeg any sooner is to have a low-numbered person actually buy the unit for you and then turn around and sell/ship it to you.

But why bother? They'll have their backlog cleared up within the next month or so.

#15044 - 28/08/2000 15:55 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

I know. I was joking. I am in a hurry, but I can wait the extra few weeks.

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a 36GB Mk2)

#15045 - 28/08/2000 19:23 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
Squid
stranger

Bonzi said: However, child psychologists often maintain that it is best to let child grasp a very concept of speach with one language first, and than (say, at the age of two)
I do not think this is the case anymore. Having been involved in a study that measured this sort of thing, the best thing for children of bilingual parents is to have both languages spoken right away. Otherwise there may be more confusion. Of course, this assumes children without any mental disabilities, etc.

#15046 - 29/08/2000 11:42 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Yes I noticed, my older son is nearly 20 months old and say very few words, I talk with him exclusivery in french (since he was born) and my husband and the other people here in England talk with him in English, yet he says more french words than english, but he does understand absolutely *everything* either in french or english . I can't wait when he start talking so that i can have proper conversations with him :)
sometimes I get worried, especially when I see how my son's playmates already talk more than my son

That's also my friends' experience: their kids understood everything and spoke very little at first, but once they begun speaking in earnest... It would seem the psychologists are changing their mind too (as Squid tells us). That's great, as, like I said, it is really sad to see a kid and a grandparent who don't understand each other!

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

#15047 - 30/08/2000 23:10 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Reference to myth of Scilla and Haridba (sp?)

I think maybe... Scylla and Charybdis, in English, at least. But maybe spelling is different in different languages. Croatian?

tanstaafl.

#15048 - 31/08/2000 00:39 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Ah, it seems I was too lazy that early in the morning to look up English spelling. What I wrote was more or less Croatian, with a typo or two (double l is a typo, and I can never remember is it 'bd' or 'db'...)

Anyway, Croatian is 'Scila & Haribda'.

Cheers!

P.S. This my 'spelling' reminds me of all those stupid TV series where Americans abroad try to speak to locals by speaking English very slowly and with exagerated facial expressions...

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

#15049 - 31/08/2000 03:51 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
teemcbee
addict

Unfortunately my 12 GB Mk2 is totally full now... I have another 26 GB to download - maybe I'll upgrade it...

I have

Metallica
Manowar
Helloween
Stratovarius (watch them out! really cool Rock! Good Guitar - Tony!
Yngwie Malmsteen (another good fast guitar - Tony
Megadeath
Iron Maiden
Gorky Park
Nazareth
Whitesnake
Judas Priest
AC/DC
Scorpions
Pink Floyd
Green Jelly
Green Day
Bob Seger
Stevie Vay
Testament
Uriah Heep
Jethro Tull
Amorphis
Paradise Lost

but also some dancefloor like
2 unlimited
Snap
Masterboy
Enigma

Hmm I have a lot more - but they don't come to my mind currently...
Maybe I should have a look at Tony's rush - to know what he's talking about...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#15050 - 31/08/2000 10:00 Re: your music [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Stratovarius (watch them out! really cool Rock! Good Guitar - Tony!
Yngwie Malmsteen (another good fast guitar - Tony

I'm quite familiar with Yngwie. Haven't heard Stratovarius, though, I'll check them out.

Maybe I should have a look at Tony's Rush - to know what he's talking about...

Start with "Moving Pictures". Not only their best album, but probably one of the best rock albums of all time. Right up there with Dark Side of the Moon. (Before Doug jumps in here, I have to say to get the remastered version of Moving Pictures. But I don't need to because that's all you can get any more unless you buy a used CD.)

While you're checking out rock guitar albums, make sure to sample some Steve Morse. Preferably the "Southern Steel" or "High Tension Wires" albums.

#15051 - 31/08/2000 10:04 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

all those stupid TV series where Americans abroad try to speak to locals by speaking English very slowly and with exagerated facial expressions...

You forgot speaking loudly. That's not only on television, either. People really do that. There's something about the way our brains are hard-wired for language which makes us want to start shouting if someone doesn't understand us. It's as if the language barrier is something that can be overcome by sheer volume. It's irritating when I see someone else do it, and then when I get into that situation, I catch myself doing it.

#15052 - 31/08/2000 16:06 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

(Before Doug jumps in here...

Tony, you crack me up! My mouse cursor was already moving towards the "reply" icon when I read the next sentence.

tanstaafl.

#15053 - 31/08/2000 16:17 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, speaking of checking out classic rock albums... Doug, do you own the CD of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon?" I believe that one's production would impress you. One of the most well-written, well-performed, and well-produced albums ever made. And it's... let's see... 27 years old this year.

Like Moving Pictures, it's one of those albums that they keep printing and keep selling. In addition to the continuous sales of people replacing their worn/scratched copies, whole new generations of people keep discovering it...

#15054 - 31/08/2000 23:24 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

I know some Steve Morse stuff. Quite good :-)

Currently I'm trying to get as fast as Yngwie is... but as you may know that's a hard work - and a bit frustrating...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#15055 - 31/08/2000 23:27 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
steveb
journeyman

Loc: Sugar Land, Texas, USA
Well, almost everything I have is already listed on someone's response. I mostly have 70's and 80's rock, a little Country, a little Classical, and some dance (like Aleph One). I also have some Ozric Tentacles, and Stevie Ray Vaughn. And I have a number of Dr. Who audio dramas on CD, as well as a number of Books On CD (like the Lord of the Rings and Stephen King).

Steve

#15056 - 02/09/2000 00:16 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

While you're on about good guitarists, have you heard of a person called Lindsey Buckland?

#15057 - 02/09/2000 10:32 Re: your music [Re: PaulWay]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

have you heard of a person called Lindsey Buckland?

No... I happen to be a fan of Lindsey Buckingham, an amazing guitarist who's best known for his work with Fleetwood Mac, but I've never heard of Lindsey Buckland. I typed that name into allmusic.com and it didn't find it, it only returned "Bucky Lindsey".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >