Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#15036 - 27/08/2000 23:31 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
My husband (who is English that's why I live here in England) doesn't want me to loose my french accent, but I am desparat (sp?) to loose it.

So he can boast 'See how charming is my charming wife's accent', eh?

I am raising my sons bilanguale, hope they wont get confused as they are still babies.

I am glad to hear you do. I find it sad when children don't understand their grandparents. However, child psychologists often maintain that it is best to let child grasp a very concept of speach with one language first, and than (say, at the age of two) start with others. On the other hand, I know for several bilingual and one trilingual child (Croatian parents in Belgium) and they all learned all their languages simultaneosly with no ill effects.

BTW, how is your name pronounced?

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15037 - 28/08/2000 03:46 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
Squid
stranger

Loc: CA
Aouali said:
In reply to:

I am raising my sons bilanguale, hope they wont get confused as they are still babies.

(bilingual) This is the best thing to do. Especially if 1 parent always speaks one language and the other parent always speaks the second language. You may find that they do not talk as quickly as some children but they are able to understand both languages. Once they do start talking you will find them to be surprisingly proficient with both languages. So, keep it up and do not let anyone tell you it is making it difficult for them.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#15038 - 28/08/2000 05:49 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
Aouali
new poster

Loc: South East - England
However, child psychologists often maintain that it is best to let child grasp a very concept of speach with one language first, and than (say, at the age of two) start with others.

I thought that too but then when I see how many languages there are in the world and how many cultures/countries I can't help but think that we are born to be multilinguale :) Oh and the BBC was featuring an interesting program about Brain Story and they said that our brain is already programmed to grasp more than one language from birth.

BTW, how is your name pronounced?

click here

Aouali

#15039 - 28/08/2000 05:58 Re: your music [Re: Squid]
Aouali
new poster

Loc: South East - England
You may find that they do not talk as quickly as some children but they are able to
understand both languages.

Yes I noticed, my older son is nearly 20 months old and say very few words, I talk with him exclusivery in french
(since he was born) and my husband and the other people here in England talk with him in English, yet he says
more french words than english, but he does understand absolutely *everything* either in french or english . I can't wait when he start talking so that i can have proper conversations with him :)
So, keep it up and do not let anyone tell you it is making it difficult for them.
sometimes I get worried, especially when I see how my son's playmates already talk more than my son

Aouali

#15040 - 28/08/2000 15:34 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
FriendlyDogSalad
new poster

Loc: Denver, Colorado USA
Wow... there are lots of different music tastes here... now i don't feel real weird...

my collection goes from ear blistering pissed off music (the chewing on tin foil kind) to good 80's pop music (police, fixx, etc.) to classical (magic flute, dom giovanni, etc.)

there isn't an emotion that is not represented in my collection...

also on an embarrasing side note, i was recently getting ready for bed one night while i heard a band on 'The Tonight Show' and was really jamming to the song. i go into the tv room to see who it is... and it was HANSON!... i am ashamed but i will be buying thier newest cd to add to my collection...
*sigh*
/me braces for the laughter.

even tho' i won't have the money when my number comes up, i will be getting a markII (even if i don't eat for the next three months)

gawd! i need my empeg fix so bad i can taste it!

---Proud owner of empeg registration number 14309 (ugh!)---

#15041 - 28/08/2000 15:47 Re: your music [Re: FriendlyDogSalad]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

If you are interested in selling / trading your low number, there might be a few buyers around... I wonder if the empeg folks would mind scalping low numbers... To paraphrase Steven Wright, "I was arrested for scalping low numbers in the deli... Sold a number 3 for $40..."

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a 36GB Mk2)

#15042 - 28/08/2000 15:48 Re: your music [Re: FriendlyDogSalad]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
and it was HANSON!... i am ashamed but i will be buying thier newest cd to add to my collection...

Hey, if it's good enough for Hugo, it's good enough for the rest of us, right?

#15043 - 28/08/2000 15:54 Re: your music [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I wonder if the empeg folks would mind scalping low numbers...

The Empeg folks send invitations to specific persons not to a number. If you place an order claiming that you have a low queue number, but your personal details don't match the invitee's original details, they won't sell it to you. This is specifically to prevent queue jumping or scalping of queue numbers.

The only way you could get your Empeg any sooner is to have a low-numbered person actually buy the unit for you and then turn around and sell/ship it to you.

But why bother? They'll have their backlog cleared up within the next month or so.

#15044 - 28/08/2000 15:55 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I know. I was joking. I am in a hurry, but I can wait the extra few weeks.

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a 36GB Mk2)

#15045 - 28/08/2000 19:23 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
Squid
stranger

Loc: CA
Bonzi said: However, child psychologists often maintain that it is best to let child grasp a very concept of speach with one language first, and than (say, at the age of two)
I do not think this is the case anymore. Having been involved in a study that measured this sort of thing, the best thing for children of bilingual parents is to have both languages spoken right away. Otherwise there may be more confusion. Of course, this assumes children without any mental disabilities, etc.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#15046 - 29/08/2000 11:42 Re: your music [Re: Aouali]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Yes I noticed, my older son is nearly 20 months old and say very few words, I talk with him exclusivery in french (since he was born) and my husband and the other people here in England talk with him in English, yet he says more french words than english, but he does understand absolutely *everything* either in french or english . I can't wait when he start talking so that i can have proper conversations with him :)
sometimes I get worried, especially when I see how my son's playmates already talk more than my son

That's also my friends' experience: their kids understood everything and spoke very little at first, but once they begun speaking in earnest... It would seem the psychologists are changing their mind too (as Squid tells us). That's great, as, like I said, it is really sad to see a kid and a grandparent who don't understand each other!

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15047 - 30/08/2000 23:10 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Reference to myth of Scilla and Haridba (sp?)

I think maybe... Scylla and Charybdis, in English, at least. But maybe spelling is different in different languages. Croatian?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#15048 - 31/08/2000 00:39 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Ah, it seems I was too lazy that early in the morning to look up English spelling. What I wrote was more or less Croatian, with a typo or two (double l is a typo, and I can never remember is it 'bd' or 'db'...)

Anyway, Croatian is 'Scila & Haribda'.

Cheers!

P.S. This my 'spelling' reminds me of all those stupid TV series where Americans abroad try to speak to locals by speaking English very slowly and with exagerated facial expressions...

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

#15049 - 31/08/2000 03:51 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
teemcbee
addict

Unfortunately my 12 GB Mk2 is totally full now... I have another 26 GB to download - maybe I'll upgrade it...

I have

Metallica
Manowar
Helloween
Stratovarius (watch them out! really cool Rock! Good Guitar - Tony!
Yngwie Malmsteen (another good fast guitar - Tony
Megadeath
Iron Maiden
Gorky Park
Nazareth
Whitesnake
Judas Priest
AC/DC
Scorpions
Pink Floyd
Green Jelly
Green Day
Bob Seger
Stevie Vay
Testament
Uriah Heep
Jethro Tull
Amorphis
Paradise Lost

but also some dancefloor like
2 unlimited
Snap
Masterboy
Enigma

Hmm I have a lot more - but they don't come to my mind currently...
Maybe I should have a look at Tony's rush - to know what he's talking about...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#15050 - 31/08/2000 10:00 Re: your music [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Stratovarius (watch them out! really cool Rock! Good Guitar - Tony!
Yngwie Malmsteen (another good fast guitar - Tony

I'm quite familiar with Yngwie. Haven't heard Stratovarius, though, I'll check them out.

Maybe I should have a look at Tony's Rush - to know what he's talking about...

Start with "Moving Pictures". Not only their best album, but probably one of the best rock albums of all time. Right up there with Dark Side of the Moon. (Before Doug jumps in here, I have to say to get the remastered version of Moving Pictures. But I don't need to because that's all you can get any more unless you buy a used CD.)

While you're checking out rock guitar albums, make sure to sample some Steve Morse. Preferably the "Southern Steel" or "High Tension Wires" albums.

#15051 - 31/08/2000 10:04 Re: your music [Re: bonzi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

all those stupid TV series where Americans abroad try to speak to locals by speaking English very slowly and with exagerated facial expressions...

You forgot speaking loudly. That's not only on television, either. People really do that. There's something about the way our brains are hard-wired for language which makes us want to start shouting if someone doesn't understand us. It's as if the language barrier is something that can be overcome by sheer volume. It's irritating when I see someone else do it, and then when I get into that situation, I catch myself doing it.

#15052 - 31/08/2000 16:06 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
(Before Doug jumps in here...

Tony, you crack me up! My mouse cursor was already moving towards the "reply" icon when I read the next sentence.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#15053 - 31/08/2000 16:17 Re: your music [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, speaking of checking out classic rock albums... Doug, do you own the CD of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon?" I believe that one's production would impress you. One of the most well-written, well-performed, and well-produced albums ever made. And it's... let's see... 27 years old this year.

Like Moving Pictures, it's one of those albums that they keep printing and keep selling. In addition to the continuous sales of people replacing their worn/scratched copies, whole new generations of people keep discovering it...

#15054 - 31/08/2000 23:24 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

I know some Steve Morse stuff. Quite good :-)

Currently I'm trying to get as fast as Yngwie is... but as you may know that's a hard work - and a bit frustrating...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#15055 - 31/08/2000 23:27 Re: your music [Re: jstrain]
steveb
journeyman

Loc: Sugar Land, Texas, USA
Well, almost everything I have is already listed on someone's response. I mostly have 70's and 80's rock, a little Country, a little Classical, and some dance (like Aleph One). I also have some Ozric Tentacles, and Stevie Ray Vaughn. And I have a number of Dr. Who audio dramas on CD, as well as a number of Books On CD (like the Lord of the Rings and Stephen King).

Steve

#15056 - 02/09/2000 00:16 Re: your music [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
While you're on about good guitarists, have you heard of a person called Lindsey Buckland?

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#15057 - 02/09/2000 10:32 Re: your music [Re: PaulWay]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

have you heard of a person called Lindsey Buckland?

No... I happen to be a fan of Lindsey Buckingham, an amazing guitarist who's best known for his work with Fleetwood Mac, but I've never heard of Lindsey Buckland. I typed that name into allmusic.com and it didn't find it, it only returned "Bucky Lindsey".

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3