Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15467 - 25/08/2000 16:37 Great toy (with some glitches...)
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
First of all, let me say that, after a day of playing with empeg, I am very happy that I ordered it.

As seen in other forums, I have encountered several quite serious glitches (emptool does not work over serial, player reboots when emplode contacts it during Ethernet autodiscovery). If this was a mass market product, I would have been very unhappy; I would have probably felt ripped off. Why not now? Primarily because I am fully confident that guys@empeg (and others here) will help me sort the things out at no time at all, but also because I understand how complex this thingie is.

My first impression (out of the box) was that the product feels solid and professionally made. Details count: I got (correct) serial cable, ISO adapter etc neatly packed and labeled; every wire on the sled is properly labeled etc. That should be normal, but I have worse experience with some of the 'big' companies.

Manual definitively needs some more work. It glosses over quite a number of UI features, examples are scarce, and it is not up to date (remember Doug's secret handshake joke?)

Both player UI and empload are much easier and more intuitive to use than they sound from reading about them. Properly labeled remote will certainly help. I understand that emplode is not intended for serious tags maintenance, but that area could use some improvement, anyway (I think that many users already expressed this). A minor suggestion: keep original filename as a track info item.

Reaction of colegues, need for justification etc? About half were enthusiastic (non-geeks are impressed by capacity - after all, that is the main reason I bought it). Others also see its merits, but don't feel the need for having several hundred CDs worth of music always handy. One friend said something along these lines: 'Hm, $1500 is too much; I could do that cheaper, let's see: there are small PC motherboards, hm, I need laptop disks anyway, what about sound card shielding, VGA is out of the question, so I must improvise something, maybe FM RF modulator instead of wires and RDS for info, hm, where do i find those, then keypad.. No, $1500 is OK, after all.'

More as experience accumulates.

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#15468 - 29/08/2000 06:13 Re: Great toy (with some glitches...) [Re: bonzi]
teemcbee
addict

One friend said something along these lines: 'Hm, $1500 is too much; I could do that cheaper, let's see: there are small PC motherboards, hm, I need laptop disks anyway, what about sound card shielding, VGA is out of the question, so I must improvise something, maybe FM RF modulator instead of wires and RDS for info, hm, where do i find those, then keypad.. No, $1500 is OK, after all.'

Some of my friend said this, too. Those who are not really very interested in music. Those who really like to listen to music.

Those who don't understand the idea say things like "you could use a laptop.." (without thinking about how to get a UI then) or "Burn mp3-CD's and buy a car-unit which can play mp3-CD's" (Without thinking about the limitation of 650 MB on a CD)....

I like the Mk2 very much - If I don't like some songs or playlists then you can reconfigure them... Tell me how to do this on a CD...
And some of my friends are seriously thinking about ordering a Mk2 after they have seen it in my car...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143