Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#160542 - 08/05/2003 15:23 W2K Install problem
ADent
stranger

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I am trying to install car-emplode-v2.00 and I get the following error: "This application requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 or later to be installed in order to work correctly."

This is a Windows 2000 machine and I do not have admin privledges. It has Internet Explorer 5.50.xxx. This message pops up when the InstallShield Wizard is "Installing Rio emplode".

Clicked OK on the box ends the installation with a nice message saying how the installation did not complete successfully.

#160543 - 08/05/2003 15:29 Re: W2K Install problem [Re: ADent]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Is your machine running the lastest service pack for win2k?

#160544 - 08/05/2003 16:23 Re: W2K Install problem [Re: ADent]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is a Windows 2000 machine and I do not have admin privledges.
That's the root of the problem. You need a certain privilege level to install most applications, and Emplode is no exception.

If it's possible to do in your case, you can add your domain user login to the local box's administrators group and all should be well.

For instance, on my network, I want to login in as "domainname\tfabris". Because if I don't, I can't access network resources without a hassle.

But by default, "domainname\tfabris" doesn't have administrator privileges on my workstation. So, when setting up the workstation, I initially logged in as "workstationname\administrator" and added "domainname\tfabris" to that workstation's "administrators" group. Then all subsequent logins could be as "domainname\tfabris" and I have tfabris' permissions on the domain, but administrator privileges on the local box.

This is, IMHO, the best way to set up client machines under NT as long as the end users aren't complete mouth-breathers. Perhaps your admin can let you set up your workstation like this.

#160545 - 08/05/2003 17:06 Re: W2K Install problem [Re: tfabris]
ADent
stranger

Yeah, I am going to hassle 'the man' to be added to the admin group. This is a laptop and it looks like I can not even setup a local printer (to print at home) without admin access.

Most installers will tell you at some point that you must be admin to install, instead of popping up wierd errors.

Jemplode is actually working OK, but it does not seem to like some WMA 9 files (file type not recognized) and I can't install empeg at work (yet). The $299 XP box at home works great with empeg though.

Thanx for the info. At least I didn't get one of those see the FAQ replies (with the link to the FAQ answering the exact question).

#160546 - 28/05/2003 23:05 Re: W2K Install problem [Re: ADent]
ADent
stranger

Quick update now that I have local admin access and actually had to upload some WMA files at work:

When I tried to install it started the installer but after a screen or two it complained about the installer not finding files or services of something. A quick check here showed that was the missing installer services. I had downloaded that before, but now as admin I could install it. Then I installed empeg and it worked great.