Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#182361 - 02/10/2003 07:40 Remote control of empeg by Karma?
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
I was wondering what would it entail to remotely control and access screen output of an empeg player using the Karma. That is if it is possible at all.

#182362 - 02/10/2003 07:52 Re: Remote control of empeg by Karma? [Re: rtundo]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
If you mean possible by someone outside of the empeg team, then I'd have to say just about impossible. The Karma isn't going to be hackable in the way the empeg was, it doesn't run a nice handy copy of Linux (or even an OS at all in a meaningful sense).

It might be possible by completely replacing the Karma firmware with something else, but then it wouldn't really be a Karma, would it ?

#182363 - 03/10/2003 06:38 Re: Remote control of empeg by Karma? [Re: andy]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Thanks for clarifying that Andy,

That would make sense for a portable player. I was reading that it had an ethernet connection that's why I asked. Rethinking this, the ethernet connection must be in the base?

#182364 - 03/10/2003 09:22 Re: Remote control of empeg by Karma? [Re: andy]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
The ethernet protocol doesn't have the commands built in yet to grab screen and send remote controls yet. As soon as they get past the initial release and get a moment to breath, I'm sure it will be added. As soon as that is, I will be writing/releasing a java app to control it (along with, i'm sure, RMM support for it). The Java app (hopefully an applet by that time too) will be the primary way to control it from remotely.

ms