Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#184344 - 12/10/2003 23:21 What happens when the battery goes?
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Someone asked this question in the "Best Portable Player" thread, but I don't think there was any real answer from those in the know. So I figured I'd ask here, since that's at the top of my list of factors that will determine if it's worth the money or not. I know Li-Ion batteries last through many charge/discharge cycles, but on a device this expensive, I'd hate to hear that I'm S.O.L. if the battery decides not to hold a charge anymore. So what's the story? Would it be some kind of "send it in to us" deal? Would we be able to buy a replacement? Or does the Karma become a paperweight at that point?

#184345 - 12/10/2003 23:22 Re: What happens when the battery goes? [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

As an example of the stress this might cause...

The iPod's Dwindling Battery

#184346 - 13/10/2003 01:19 Re: What happens when the battery goes? [Re: tonyc]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
From the threads I've read, there doesn't seem to be a "battery replacement" plan at the moment, reason given is that the battery will not easily die.

The only positive comment made was in reference to the iPod, where it was said that 3rd party replacements sorted out the problem. So, you'd better hope the Karma is sucessfull otherwise there'll be no options available apart from return to rio and hope for the best.

My personal thoughts are,... that by the time you need one it will be available from somewhere

Cheers, Sim

#184347 - 13/10/2003 11:22 Re: What happens when the battery goes? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Having personally been inside one a few times, replacing the battery is do-able for someone with hobbyist-class skills. Harder to do than an empeg drive replacement, easier to do than an empeg button hack or VFD replacement. It's probably about on par with doing an empeg AC adapter jack replacement.

#184348 - 14/10/2003 17:26 Re: What happens when the battery goes? [Re: tonyc]
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
Repacing the battery is not my worry, all I want to know if it is dooable that's fine, it's Will the battery's be available in 3 years time, I bet they are not AAA size or something.
Gazz.

#184349 - 14/10/2003 18:49 Re: What happens when the battery goes? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Having personally been inside one a few times, replacing the battery is do-able for someone with hobbyist-class skills. Harder to do than an empeg drive replacement, easier to do than an empeg button hack or VFD replacement. It's probably about on par with doing an empeg AC adapter jack replacement
I'm slightly below hobbyist-class with my soldering. I sent my empeg across the pond to have the AC jack replacement done, so I'd probably be sending mine to someone with slightly better skills if this ever became a problem. But this all implies the batteries become available, and only time will tell if that happens.