Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#188064 - 04/11/2003 21:09 Off axis Mounting
belezeebub
addict

Ho much damage would it do to mount an Empeg rotated 90degrees Counter clockwise ??? I think I can shoe horn it into the cargo area behind the backseat on the wall or maybe on the wheel well

______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#188065 - 04/11/2003 22:27 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: belezeebub]
tman
carpal tunnel

No. It won't like it. The shock mounting is designed for the empeg being in a reasonably horizontal position. Having it at 90 degrees whatever axis will mean the drives won't be protected from vibration and shocks and also the tray may fall out of the mountings.

#188066 - 04/11/2003 22:58 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: tman]
belezeebub
addict

I was afraid of tha, but it didn't hurt to ask
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#188067 - 05/11/2003 02:35 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: belezeebub]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
The empeg it self will be fine as the empeg is a small computer which is rare and occasionally difficult to come by the hard drives them selves will not be overly happy mounted at a funny angle but they are pretty robust but if they die they are plentiful to come by providing you have all your music stored somewhere then no probs if it goes down.

Now have you taken your car to a good car installer, as he is very likely to spot a solution that you haven't thought of. If you have been staring this problem for so long them maybe you are taking the wrong angle.

The chevy blaser i imagine is one of american SUV things which will be about the same size as my house i am sure there is somewhere.

I looked at pics you posted in another thread and on solution jumps out at me. The glovebox lid is a lovely flat surface when open bet you could fit an empeg on it. Either you could screw a cage to it and leave the glovebox open with the cage in full view or go crazy with the velcro and cover the bottom of empeg in velcro and just stick it there every time you go somewhere.

You say AC vents are everywhere. Do you run with them all open all the time ? Bet you don't, The centre section vents on many cars can be gutted out and a din sized hole created.

I'm not a pro installer and i have never been in a chevy blaser but i bet i could find a solution, Go get some one else to look a fresh pair of eyes will work wonders

#188068 - 05/11/2003 09:17 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: thinfourth2]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Mine's been mounted "off-axis" for 2 years in a Blazer with no problems. I've used two different players this way (my primary and my spare) and had problems with neither. I know that the likelihood of problems is higher, but I'll run that risk. I have my music backed up and can replace a drive should the occasion ever arise.

#188069 - 05/11/2003 09:45 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: JBjorgen]
tman
carpal tunnel

How much off axis is it though?

#188070 - 05/11/2003 11:50 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: tman]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Good point. It's mounted about 45 degrees. Perhaps slightly less. Pictures here.

#188071 - 05/11/2003 12:24 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you do mount it off-axis, make sure to open 'er up perodically to make sure the shock mounts haven't come undone. If they do, glue them with RTV.

#188072 - 05/11/2003 12:28 Re: Off axis Mounting [Re: JBjorgen]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Like the VFD dash.

Stu