Hi everyone,
I didn't have problems with gaps between tracks for a long time - until now !?
I encode all my mp3s using constant bitrates (usually 160 or 192) and the --nogap option in lame.

Now, I have two units - one empeg and one riocar. The empeg is the one that gives me trouble now.
When I activate the harddisk-icon, I see the 'W'-symbol blink shortly between the tracks (not every time - but let's say the chance is at about 70%).
And that's when the music is interrupted for about half a second or so. That may sound pretty harmless, but also is pretty far away from gapless, especially when listening to these DJ'd kind of CDs where it all depends on the beat..doesn't it...

Both my players have the same configuration and the same music on it (I copied the contents once from empeg to riocar using the harddrive-upgrade instructions - and since then I add the same music to both players):
- V2.00 developer
- 1x80GB + 1x60GB (IBM/Hitachi Travelstar-drives)
- nothing else installed (i.e. no Hijack)
- emplode says 22,6 GB of 130 GB are free
- my guess would be about 20.000 single tracks

So, did I reach some critical limit here, where the slightly lower cache of the empeg (12MB vs 16MB) causes problems ?

I checked for any outputs via serial connection, but no problems are reported.
Both drives work fine and don't give me any weird noises or so.
During playback the drives are spun up all the time (is that standard behaviour ?), with drive-access every 3-5 seconds...

By the way - to see if that helps, I tried to install v3-alpha on both players, but wasn't successful. After 'Building music database' the players stopped working. Exact messages in the attached log-file.

Any help highly appreciated !!

Attachments
187125-upg30.log (241 downloads)