Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19277 - 02/10/2000 14:19 Best song/visual combinations
dglinder
new poster

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I thought it would be fun for people to share their favorite combinations of songs and visuals - that is, which songs (and types of music) make which visuals jump the best? For example, Chopin Nocturnes and other quiet piano pieces look great in Spectroview 128, where you can see every note as it's played, but do pretty much nothing for the more "graphical" displays. Stevie Ray Vaughan looks really cool in SpectroFlip 128. On the other hand, Frank Zappa seems to make just about every display go crazy. Pink FLoyd and other similar bands that have lots of machine-generated pure tones look great in (Oscilli)Scope, as do songs with heavy, clear bass guitar and a capella music, as you can actually see the wave forms for individualnotes, especially if they are held for a long time.

Does anyone else have "preferred" visuals for certain artists, songs, or types of music?

#19278 - 02/10/2000 14:38 Re: Best song/visual combinations [Re: dglinder]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I have a few pure tones that are neat to play with. There is only one other time I have noticed a cool visualisation effect and that was toward the end of a "Garbage" song called "Sleep Together". About 4 minutes in there is a sound that sweeps from the high frequencies to the low frequencies. When using the 128 spectrum vis it looks like a shark fin moving from the right side to the left side.

Alex Lear

#19279 - 02/10/2000 15:05 Re: Best song/visual combinations [Re: alear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is only one other time I have noticed a cool visualisation effect and that was toward the end of a "Garbage" song called "Sleep Together". About 4 minutes in there is a sound that sweeps from the high frequencies to the low frequencies.

I just checked that one out (I've got that album) and it does look kind of cool in SpectroFlip.

A similar (but more striking and pronounced) effect can be found in Madonna's song "Ray of Light". It happens a few times in the song, mostly just after the bridge around 3:20.

#19280 - 02/10/2000 15:12 Re: Best song/visual combinations [Re: tfabris]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
I hope you people are not doing these evaluations whilst driving ?!?

Actually, aren't the empeg people worried their customers drive themselves into a wall because they are too busy comparing visuals on their new mp3's ?

Rob ?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19281 - 02/10/2000 16:55 Re: Best song/visual combinations [Re: EngelenH]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I hope you people are not doing these evaluations whilst driving ?!?

Of course I don't in the car, I am much too busy reading, drinking soda, and talking on the cell phone while on the road.

Alex Lear

#19282 - 02/10/2000 16:59 Re: Best song/visual combinations [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I mentioned it before on another thread, but get some good Drum 'N Bass tracks on your empeg and switch to the Scope visual, you'll be amazed. There's one specific track i was listening to last week that was amazing, i couldn't take my eyes off it. I'm still going through the songs to try and find which it was so i can share. But, in general, the scope visual does some bad ass stuff with Electronic music.

|| loren.cox

#19283 - 03/10/2000 02:47 Re: Best song/visual combinations [Re: dglinder]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Kraftwerk on SpectroFlip 128. Or Stone Roses on Tripping Prisoner. Or Stone Roses on anything, come to that

Peter