Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#194031 - 23/09/2005 09:28 Re: C code to find empegs IP [Re: mcomb]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I believe there is an iTunes peripheral plugin interface that you might be able to abuse to do this. Send me a Central and I'll think about it

The Central server protocol is just the Rio Receiver protocol, and if you were serious about developing an Itunes plug-in, you could use any third-party Rio Receiver server.

But IMO the right way to do it is to write a Receiver-to-DAAP republisher: that means you could also feed Roku Soundbridges and so on from a Central. Even cooler would be to write an aggregating DAAP/Receiver/MediaServer republisher, that combined music from all available servers of three protocols and republished it over all three protocols.

Peter

#194032 - 23/09/2005 09:32 Re: C code to find empegs IP [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
But IMO the right way to do it is to write a Receiver-to-DAAP republisher:

As long as I didn't need a THIRD computer on which to run this republisher, sure.

One of the reasons I like the central is that it's 100 percent uptime with no fan noise. If I had to keep yet another server PC turned on to accompany it, that would be irritating.

I suppose there's nothing to stop such a republisher from running on the client PC alongside iTunes. That would solve my particular case, and also solve the Soundbridge cases for anyone who wanted to dedicate another box to the task.

#194033 - 23/09/2005 10:38 Re: C code to find empegs IP [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
One of the reasons I like the central is that it's 100 percent uptime with no fan noise. If I had to keep yet another server PC turned on to accompany it, that would be irritating.

You'd run the republisher on the Central. (Probably. I can't remember how much control a random daemon would have over whether the player software spins the disk down.) It's just that solving the problem at the server end rather than the client end has more applicability to other situations.

Quote:
I suppose there's nothing to stop such a republisher from running on the client PC alongside iTunes.

Except that the client PC is already running a DAAP server if it's running Itunes. Depending on exactly how it works, it might not be possible to have two DAAP servers on the same IP address.

Peter

#194034 - 23/09/2005 14:08 Re: C code to find empegs IP [Re: tfabris]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I have that and an OS X DVD to send to Loren that I promised him weeks ago ... I'm getting off my ass this weekend to mail out Loren's disc, so if you want me to send this out too, let me know.

#194035 - 23/09/2005 17:40 Re: C code to find empegs IP [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
You'd run the republisher on the Central

Ooo. that would be utterly awesome. So who's up for writing this little gem?

#194036 - 23/09/2005 17:51 Re: C code to find empegs IP [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
Quote:
You'd run the republisher on the Central

Ooo. that would be utterly awesome. So who's up for writing this little gem?

Err, why write a republisher at all? Just run daapd on the Central. If I can get it running happily on the empeg I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Central. How much memory do those things have?

-Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2