Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#195716 - 01/01/2004 11:46 Mk2a freezing between songs.
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
My problem is kinda like Stu's, and just started last night. But it had nothing to do with 2 minutes, so I thought I'd start my own thread about this...

1) I picked up my Mark Lord docking station that a buddy wanted to borrow. I know that he took the thing apart to snoop around, but I'm not sure if he messed with the wires. Maybe something is miss wired? Loose wire? Maybe it wasn't 100% inserted into the dock?

2) I had the Mk2a hooked up to a stereo and was playing music all night (New Year's Eve). I was doing a lot of "inserts" and "appends" to the current playlist via emplode. emplode locked up once, maybe the inserts and appends did something funky?

3) It was pretty warm in that cabinet (enclosed w. a glass door). Maybe the player was getting too warm?

As I mentioned, it only happened when loading the next song (at random times). The player software, including audio, locked up, but HiJack was still working. Rebooting from within HiJack did not fix it, but pulling the power cord and doing a "cold boot" did fix it for a while. These are files I play all the time, and they would work upon cold-boot, so I know it's not the mp3s....

I'll try to mess around with it in the next few days and will keep you guys up to date on what I find.

#195717 - 01/01/2004 12:05 Re: Mk2a freezing between songs. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Do you have this problem outside the cabinet? It could have been a temperature or maybe a power issue. Doesn't the player spin up the hard drives between songs sometimes, especially if you are modifying the playlist? Perhaps the heat and spinup of the drive(s?) are interacting some how.

Good luck.

Stu

#195718 - 01/01/2004 12:40 Re: Mk2a freezing between songs. [Re: maczrool]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Stu, that's kinda what I was thinking, but I don't have the technical know-how to really tell. It's not happening between all songs, but I'm sure it's just when the buffer is running low. Inserts do funny things (like make little pauses in audio) as they play with the memory.

I have one 60GB drive and one 80GB drive. I think they require more power to spin and might also explain why I'm more prone to getting a "warm boot" (5 seconds) reboot in car with a battery icon sometimes..

I should have used HiJack to get a temp reading... Maybe it's time to turn on the "hi temp shutdown" in HiJack?

Good luck on your freeze too!