Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#198780 - 15/01/2004 14:15 Lock icon?
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
Can anyone tell me the meaning of a largish lock icon showing on the Karma screen, and requiring a power cycle to clear? I haven't seen this in person, but the unit I bought as a Christmas gift is beginning to show this behavior every 10 minutes or so. I'm told that a power cycle usually clears it, but today, for the first time, it required a visit from the Magic Paper Clip.

I looked through the online user's guide, and saw no mention of a lock icon. Has anyone else seen this, or is my SO going bonkers?

Thanks,
--Dan.

#198781 - 15/01/2004 14:37 Re: Lock icon? [Re: djc]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
the largish lock that you speak of is normally shown when the lock is engaged. the button on the side underneath the volume buttons. question : can you operate the karma while the lock is on the screen? you may have a faulty lock switch.

#198782 - 15/01/2004 14:57 Re: Lock icon? [Re: RobotCaleb]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
id like to change my wording. the lock, when i have seen it, is shown when the karma is off and lock mode is on and you try to turn it on. then it will only show the big lock.

#198783 - 15/01/2004 14:58 Re: Lock icon? [Re: djc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
largish lock icon showing on the Karma screen, and requiring a power cycle to clear?
Djc, are they using the latest firmware (1.41)?

I can't imagine you being able to power down the player if the lock is engaged unless there's something screwy with the firmware. When my lock is engaged, I can't power off my player at all.

Since you're reporting this second-hand, perhaps the chain of events was somehow misreported. Maybe they just used the lock switch and didn't know it. Or perhaps the lock switch is partially engaged making it intermittent. Or, as was already said, it could be a faulty lock switch.

I looked through the online user's guide, and saw no mention of a lock icon.
I performed a search on "lock" in the manual and found several references to the lock switch. Although no mention of the on screen icon.

#198784 - 15/01/2004 15:41 Re: Lock icon? [Re: tfabris]
djc
enthusiast

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. The unit has been running 1.41 since the day it became available. I'll try to mess with it tonight and get a better idea of the problem. Thirdhand debugging can be a bit vague, at best.

Thanks again,
--Dan.

#198785 - 22/01/2004 10:59 Re: Lock icon? [Re: djc]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hello,

I know of two lock icons implemented on the Karma.

One is only displayed when the lock switch is activated, and the user tries to power the unit on. This one is a giant padlock taking up most of the screen, it either goes away after 3 or so seconds and powers the unit back off again, or if the lock switch is deactivated during the padlock being displayed power up will resume.

The other lock icon is tiny and appears at the top of the player screen along with the shuffle icon and others.

If you are seeing the giant lock icon whilst the player is running, you probably have some sort of problem that is causing the unit to reset, this could either be a firmware issue, or a hardware fault. Not having the lock switch activated would solve the giant padlock side of the problem, but you would still suffer periodic resets.

Toby

#198786 - 22/01/2004 11:22 Re: Lock icon? [Re: prolux]
djc
enthusiast

Hey Toby,

That makes a lot of sense. It definitely is the larger of the two icons, and it happens while he is running at the gym, with the lock switch on. He keeps it in the cupholder on the treadmill, but would still be subject to some vibration as his feet hit the mat.

Is it possible that while he's running, if the player is unable to read from the disk due to vibration, that the unit would reset? If so, I think that brings us full-circle on how and why it is locking up. In that case, replacing the unit most likely wouldn't help, as a new unit would be just as vulnerable to vibration.

Hmm. Perhaps an armband would be more gentle on it. Or a flash player just for running.

Thanks for the info!
--Dan.