Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#214242 - 24/04/2004 07:10 Wishlist page
SSR
stranger

Loc: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi folks,

I'm a new owner of the Karma, and loving it :-)

I've created a wishlist page at my site, and all sensible additions to this are welcome.

I found with my other player (Nomad Jukebox) that there was no single publicly viewable page with all the wishes listed, so created one.

It seems to be that way for the Karma also (unless someone can tell me differently). Forums are a pain to wade through.

I'll try and take a look through the forums here for additions, but in the mean time feel free to email me or reply here with things you would like to see on this page.

Cheers!

#214243 - 24/04/2004 13:19 Re: Wishlist page [Re: SSR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Boot with backlight on (as setting)
Yeah, seeing as how I made the animation that it boots with, I wanted this too. I forget the reason they couldn't do that. It's highly technical as I recall.

Better use of screen "real estate" e.g. show more data in VU Meter view
I disagree, I like the uncluttered look of the VU meter view. If I want more data, I'll use another view.

Wraparound menus
This one was an actual deliberate design decision by the team. It was discussed during the beta phase. If I recall correctly, the reason was that wrap around menus are sometimes a bit confusing to Joe Sixpack. I know us computer-expert types like them, but Joe Sixpack doesn't. For example, the Tivo doesn't have wrap around menus either, for the same reason.

Display battery charging when player off (as setting)
I thought it did. Hm. Maybe they removed that feature because of a technical problem.

Quicker method of selecting shuffle
I think that's probably the number one wish item for a lot of people.

#214244 - 25/04/2004 03:16 Re: Wishlist page [Re: tfabris]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Display battery charging when player off (as setting)
I thought it did. Hm. Maybe they removed that feature because of a technical problem.

Quicker method of selecting shuffle

Both of those would be great

#214245 - 26/04/2004 06:23 Re: Wishlist page [Re: SSR]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
You have mail!

#214246 - 27/04/2004 06:20 Re: Wishlist page [Re: tfabris]
SSR
stranger

Loc: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Curiously for the first few milliseconds of startup the backlight does come on. I guess from a practical point-of-view it isn't necessary, just a nice-to-have.

In reply to:

I disagree, I like the uncluttered look of the VU meter view. If I want more data, I'll use another view.

None of the views are saturated with data IMO. I would like a view which shows much more e.g. some of the data from the track details page, and perhaps both a track and queue elapsed/ongoing time. My old Rio 500 USB was great for this. They made maximum usage of a very small screen.

In reply to:

This one was an actual deliberate design decision by the team. It was discussed during the beta phase. If I recall correctly, the reason was that wrap around menus are sometimes a bit confusing to Joe Sixpack. I know us computer-expert types like them, but Joe Sixpack doesn't. For example, the Tivo doesn't have wrap around menus either, for the same reason.

But a lot of other players do have it. Perhaps add it as an option, suitably hidden so Joe Sixpack can't find it ;-)

In reply to:

I'm sure it did when I first got it. In fact, here's the evidence (I was taking some pictures of it). Since I upgraded the firmware it has gone... one of them downgraded features I guess :-(

[url=http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net/img_3615.jpg]

In reply to:

But having done a little more reading, does the Karma shuffle the queue or jump around tracks in the queue. Obviously it shuffles the queue this is going to pose a problem to the designers unless you create a "reorder" option, which my poor memory is telling me there is as well...

Edited by SSR (27/04/2004 06:24)