Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#219839 - 03/01/2002 18:00 How does HPNA affect dialup lines?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In reply to:

Can someone who's got a Receiver let me know what affect the HPNA stuff has on a dialup internet connection?

I'm not in a broadband area, so I still use dial-up, and I'll be using the Receiver (should I ever get one) via HPNA, pretty much all of the time.
Original Question by PHaigh

Answer by Rob:

HPNA doesn't affect normal telephone/modem operation at all.

In reply to:

Even for a 56k connection? Those are notoriously twitchy and sensitive to site wiring problems.
Original question by TFabris

Answer by Drakino:

Nope, HPNA technology will in no way interfere with any other telephone line usage, including voice, fax, 56k modem, DSL, home security or anything else.

It works similar to DSL, basicially so high above where normal modems use the line they can't hear a thing.

#219840 - 21/10/2005 00:34 Re: How does HPNA affect dialup lines? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Update:

For those who have DSL installed, and who need to use those little inline "filter" boxes, I have made the following discovery about HPNA with Rio Receivers:

The line between the Rio Receiver and the Rio Central (or the PC server) must not pass through one of those DSL line filters. Arrange it so that the filters are on the telephone's line only, and that the Rio Receiver and its server connect directly to the main house wiring.

If you need to place a telephone and a Rio Receiver on the same outlet, daisy chain the phone through the Rio Receiver, with the line filter on the phone side of the connection.

This also counts for some DSL modems which have a pass-through "filtered" telephone port built-in to the modem itself. Treat the modem as if it were a filter, and use a Y-adapter if necessary to split off the wiring to the Reciver or Server before it reaches the DSL modem.