Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#219880 - 03/05/2001 13:13 Internet Radio
schmoelz
stranger

Loc: Innsbruck, AUSTRIA
What about streaming Internet Radio through the Audio Receiver Manager?

#219881 - 07/05/2001 10:00 Re: Internet Radio [Re: schmoelz]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
...on the wishlist...

#219882 - 24/05/2001 13:15 Re: Internet Radio [Re: altman]
hoagy

Loc: Silicon Valley
The Audiotron now has this with a beta firmware upgrade released yesterday. I bought the Audiotron because the Rio Receiver's display is way too small to be usable in a home theater setting and I wanted to run off of a Samba server. The web server included in the new firmware still doesn't let you control what's playing, unfortunately.

Hopefully the Rio Receiver v2.0 will get all of this right. Here are the other features of the new Audiotron firmware (some of them catch up to the Rio and some of them surpass the Rio):

**Gapless Playback**
We've eliminated the pause between tracks. Please note that the way this does this is by buffering the existing song, then buffering the beginning of the next track. Two things can interfere with this process, and create a small delay between tracks - unusual network traffic and songs that are less than 1 minute in length, and such don't give the AT enough time to finish buffering the song before it moves on.

**Filter Mode/Drill Down **
There is now an option to put the AudioTron in "Filter Interface" mode. For example, when selecting a Artist, Album, or Genre you will be presented with an menu list. Pressing PLAY again will cause the AT to play all of the works that fit those criteria. Pressing the left-right select keys will allow you to select further criteria, such as Title, Album, or Genre. If you now hit Play - you will see where XXX is the first level criteria and YYY is the second level.
(Note that the keys on your remote help here.) Pressing "STOP" will take you back to the previous selection. This "Filter Interface" interface is not enabled by default.

**Streaming Audio**
The AudioTron now supports streaming audio. File formats supported are Shoutcast, Icecast, and Nanocaster. There is a new menu item labeled NET which allows you to access available Internet Radio Stations. Note that the AT doesn't require a PC to connect to the Internet. If you are sharing a
broadband connection through a Hub/Router such as the LinkSys or SMC products, the AudioTron will be able to access the radio stations directly.
There is also an additional item in the OPTIONS menu to set proxy settings should you be using a proxy server. Note that the AT will NOT support proxy server authentication.

**Turtle Radio**
The AudioTron downloads a general guide and any custom stations that you may wish from www.turtle-radio.com. This allows the AudioTron to access internet radio should even a local PC be not available. You can choose to have the AudioTron download a default station Guide, or you can customize your own account and add or delete stations as per your own tastes. For more information, please see www.turtle-radio.com.

**Browse While Play**
The AT now supports Browse While Play. While the AudioTron is playing a song or list of songs, you can use the TITLE, ALBUM, ARTIST, GENRE, NET, LISTS buttons on the remote to select a song to play after the current song is done. So, if you select a single song to play, the display will read 1/1. While this first song is playing, you can press TITLE, select another song, and press PLAY. This will add the second song to the play que, and your display will now read 1/2. If you want to play the second song immediately, simply press STOP before the final PLAY. This will stop the currently playing song, and start the next one that you've elected.

**Web Server**
A BIG addition to the AudioTron is the addition of a webserver. By typing the IP address of the Audiotron into a browser on the same network, you are able to access an HTML interface to the AudioTron's options and commands. You will also be able to see what's playing, and have a better way to view the network history..

#219883 - 26/05/2001 02:52 Re: Internet Radio [Re: hoagy]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Wow, that's quite a feature set - I particularly like the web server stuff.

How much of this can we do with the Rio? (I don't have one, so I'm still a little lost on features).

Cheers,

Paul.

--
RioReceiver - Still Waiting for one in the UK.

#219884 - 29/05/2001 03:25 Re: Internet Radio [Re: phaigh]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Gapless Playback

Just about. There's generally a couple of milliseconds between tracks, if I remember correctly. We might have the CPU headroom to crossfade -- I don't remember. This won't happen for a while, however.

Filter mode / Refining searches

No. We don't have this. Figuring out the UI shouldn't pose too much difficulty, but the server's database doesn't currently support more than two 'and' clauses.

Streaming Audio

On the list. Technically possible.

Browse while Play

We've always had the ability to use the UI while playing. Don't know if insert-after is in the receiver software. It's in the current development build, so it'll probably be in the next release, whenever that is.

Web Server

I've been toying with implementing a web interface to the server on the PC, which is not the same thing, but some people might find it useful. Don't know if it's worth the schedule time, though.

#219885 - 29/05/2001 05:31 Re: Internet Radio [Re: Roger]
phaigh
addict

Thanks Roger..

I guess an update to the software is planned - this is some way off though I imagine?

Paul.

--

#219886 - 29/05/2001 10:05 Re: Internet Radio [Re: phaigh]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yes, it's planned. Yes, it's some way off.

#219887 - 29/05/2001 10:31 Re: Internet Radio [Re: Roger]
phaigh
addict

Thanks!

As we thought!

Too busy with 'Super secret' projects I imagine!!!!

Paul.

--