Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#220884 - 07/02/2002 16:59 new displayserver for receiver
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
New? Nah not really new, although it is now possible to control the line-out volume through ds/rotary/remote
I've seen a lot of binary copies of receiver.arf floating around the internet lately, which is understandable, since it's difficult to combine two tar files on a windows platform. Because I was also guilty in distributing some binary copies over email, I created a patch utility for win32 platforms that will combine the two tar files to generate a fully functioning new receiver.arf
it can be found here

screen shots:
netscape
opera
internet explorer 5.5

INSTALLATION

- download zip files tarMerge.zip and receiver_patch.zip
- unzip. this will result in files tarMerge.exe and receiver_patch.arf
- stop Audio Receiver Manager Software on your PC (right-click on taskbar icon)
- start tarMerge
- select files:
Original tar-file : receiver.arf
"Patch" tar-file : receiver_patch.arf
Destination tar-file : receiver_new.arf
- click "Create patched tar-file"
- receiver_new.arf will be created
- rename receiver.arf to receiver_org.arf
- rename receiver_new.arf to receiver.arf
- restart Audio Receiver Manager Software

USAGE

- open webbrowser and use url : http://[receiver ip]/receiver.html
- a java-applet should pop up showing your receiver
- push the buttons and rotary to operate

NOTES

- the kernel contains two modifications :
ir-codes can be sent to /dev/ir
the line-out volume is controllable by the rotary/remote (Jeff Mock's patch)
- this software doesn't work when using large databases
- there's a maximum of 1 session at a time. This was done because netscape tends to constantly open/close the network connection when resizing.
- tarMerge.exe should also work with other tar-files. This is untested though.

Have fun...

#220885 - 07/02/2002 17:29 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ladies and gentlemen, The King has re-entered the building.

#220886 - 07/02/2002 18:08 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Saweeeeet. I'm hookin' this up tonight! I gotta go pick up another Ethernet cable so i don't have the one from the Reciever to the PS2 (Tony Hawk Networked baby!).

Thanks Frank!

#220887 - 07/02/2002 19:01 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: tfabris]
fvgestel
old hand

Yes, I've re-entered. But I'm not planning on spending the amount of time I spent before. As you would agree Tony, it is now impossible to keep up with the messages on the empeg BBS, so a part of the fun is allready gone.
Luckily there are a lot of new developers making fun stuff for the empeg and receiver. Mark's hijack is really amazing. Further I've seen a VNC-server, which was also one of my experiments, numerous utility's, gps-stuff, emptray, jreceiver.
My wife says I've got to go to bed.
Till tomowwor

#220888 - 07/02/2002 20:34 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
Deviant
stranger

Fantastic!!!! It worked like a charm, though I did power down my Rio Receiver with the idea that that is what it took for the new .arf file to be utilized.

Really awesome - does everything I wanted, and more!

Is Frank affiliated with empeg? (since he might not have time to respond)
Is this something that might be included in an official update some day? (are there plans for one?)

If you get more time, expanding it to multi-session is higher on my list than the larger database, though I don't know its current limit.

Going from 1M to 4M is quite a huge jump. Is there any room left?

Thanks again. Mega-thanks.

-Greg

#220889 - 07/02/2002 20:36 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: Deviant]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Frank is not an employee of empeg/Rio. Although he is on the alpha test team for at least one of their products.

#220890 - 08/02/2002 06:21 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: tfabris]
Nezza
stranger

Quick question, how would remote control work when you have more than 1 receiver on your network?

Can you specifiy which Receiver you want to control?

Thanks!

#220891 - 08/02/2002 06:42 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: Nezza]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Yes you can. DisplayServer runs individually on each Receiver, you connect direct to the specific Receiver to load DisplayServer for that unit.

#220892 - 08/02/2002 15:07 Re: Combine Displayserver & Voladj hacks together [Re: andy]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Andy,
is there any chance that your port of the Voladj hack for the Receiver can be combined within the same kernel as Franks displayserver hack?
[giving us mortal folks the best of main Hijack features in one place?].

#220893 - 08/02/2002 16:36 Re: Combine Displayserver & Voladj hacks together [Re: number6]
andy
carpal tunnel

Unless I have missed it Frank doesn't appear to have made the source for his patches available for download (which I think is probably breaking the GPL). Without his source I can't add his patches to mine.

Frank could take my patch (http://www.norman.cx/receiver/) and combine it with his, but he might not want to as there is not yet a way to control the VolAdj level yet. I am hoping to find some time in the next few weeks to add this functionality to my patch. Unfortunately my C and kernel skills are much, much more limited that Mark Lord's so you shouldn't expect me to churn kernel patches out at the rate he does...

(perhaps someone should send him a Receiver)

P.S. I probably have just missed it and the source is there on Frank's site somewhere, but I couldn't see it when I looked.

#220894 - 09/02/2002 17:16 Re: Combine Displayserver & Voladj hacks together [Re: andy]
fvgestel
old hand

Unless I have missed it Frank doesn't appear to have made the source for his patches available for download

The patch is in the receiver_patch.arf file in directory ds. So is the source for ds. The line-out patch isn't included but can be found on jeff mock's site

#220895 - 09/02/2002 17:23 Re: Combine Displayserver & Voladj hacks together [Re: fvgestel]
andy
carpal tunnel

See I was right, I didn't look hard enough ;-)

(I didn't expect the source to be in the arf file itself)

Thanks Frank.

#220896 - 16/02/2002 14:35 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
P-Billy
stranger

I installed this on my win98 machine and it works well, except for a high frequency low volume clicking noise whenever the receiver is on. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas for a solution (other than going back to the old receiver)?

#220897 - 21/02/2002 09:33 Re: Combine Displayserver & Voladj hacks together [Re: fvgestel]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Its great to have Displayserver on my Dell unit, however, I noticed that I need to reboot the Receiver quite a lot now, or I cannot get the web page to come up.
Also I am seeing a heck of a lot of network traffic, and its being generated by the receiver.

Anyone else noticed these two things ?

#220898 - 13/03/2002 08:57 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: P-Billy]
rbraddock
stranger

I agree. I installed this and am very happy with it except for the rapid clicking. Having local volume control now is great. The web interface is not very reliable, though.

#220899 - 19/03/2002 09:35 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
nburling
stranger

I followed the steps, but get a page cannot be found. Any ideas? I ran through the patch process twice.

Thanks.

#220900 - 19/03/2002 17:06 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: nburling]
fvgestel
old hand

Did you replace the "[receiver ip]" bit with the actual IP-address of the receiver?
The IP-address of your receiver can be found by right clicking on the icon of your receiver in the manager software.

#220901 - 19/03/2002 17:48 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
nburling
stranger

Thanks for the reply. I have to use the HPNA card, as I don't Ethernet where my receiver is. After a bunch of testing, I discovered that the patch seems to have problems with the HPNA card. It worked fine when I brought the receiver up to my desktop and tested it with a catV cable.

Any idea why this is the case?

#220902 - 20/03/2002 09:15 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: nburling]
Demon

When I installed the "patch", I had to shut down the server software, unplug the receiver, start the server back up, then plug the server back in.

Then it started working. I think the key was unplugging the server, which you would have done by moving it to another location. Have you tried moving it back?

:d:

#220903 - 20/03/2002 21:22 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
jakeforce
stranger

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I really like this applet but I wanted to make it look more like a application so here is a little Tcl script that I whipped up (only works on MS Windows).

----File:: RioReceiver.tcl---
# requires Tcl/Tk 8.0+, optcl 3.0, MSIE 3+
# by Michael Jacobson
# note that it take a while to load the applet in the
# MSIE frame (15+ seconds ... so please be patient)
package require optcl ;# download from
#http://www.sys.uea.ac.uk/~fuzz/optcl/default.html
# update your RioReceiver IP address below
set htm [optcl::new -window .htm {http://192.168.1.104/receiver.html}]
.htm config -width 645 -height 208
pack .htm -fill both -expand 1

Edited by jakeforce (20/03/2002 21:28)

#220904 - 25/04/2002 20:53 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: Demon]
justDave
stranger

I've just been through the same process. This patch does not work with hpna. Seems like the drivers are missing. Any chance of getting a new build with the hpna drivers?

(I got lost in this thread. Who built this kernel?)

#220905 - 18/01/2003 16:53 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
lizard_boy
stranger

sorry to bump this thread back up but i'm having trouble getting this to work

i followed all the instructions on making the new receiver.arf file and copied it into the proper directory...i've double-checked and the new receiver.arf file is showing up as the proper size (4MB)

when i type the url of my receiver into my browser (IE 6.0) nothing comes up...just get "The page cannot be displayed"

i've rebooted my pc and the rio receiver several times

the addresses it should be at is http://192.168.1.130/receiver.html

i can ping this address and get a response, this is also the proper ip according to the audio receiver software

i'm NOT using the HPNA, the rio receiver is connected to a 5-port linksys switch which is connected to my linksys cable/dsl router

the only thing i can think of that might be causing a problem is that i'm running Sun Java Virtual Machine under Windows XP Pro

i've tried disabling my firewall (zonealarm) and put the rio receiver into the DMZ of my router - still nothing

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

#220906 - 09/03/2003 22:42 Re: new displayserver for receiver [Re: fvgestel]
laynel
stranger

This may be a stupid question, but does this patch assume/require a particular version of the Receiver software? (1.0, 1.3, 1.4?)