Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221376 - 04/04/2002 04:01 Web control
MarkHarrison
stranger

OK, my first post here, so be gentle with me ;-)

I'd like to see the Receivers controllable with a "proper" web iterface. I have the displayserver hack already, so I can have web control, but it's clunky to use. What I want is a web page that presents a list of tracks / albums / playlists, and lets me "click" on one to play.

I've been thinking about how to do this, and I see two distinct options.

1: A web server served by the Rio that made a request to the Music Server for, say, a list of artists, and then displayed that list back to a web page (while outputting something basic like "Web Control" onto the internal display.) Each of the artists was a hotlink to a list of tracks (including a "play all" dummy track.)...

2: A web server that ran on the _music_ server, and presented the artists (etc.) in an HTML page, but next to each track (including the "play all") was a button for EACH actual Receiver being served. The buttons would act as a link that sent a request to the Rio Receiver in one of two ways:

2a: It could send a web request that logically said "play this track - Meat Loaf - rock and roll hero".

2b: It could send a web request that logically said "simulate the following key presses - menu - down - select - down - select - 1[abc] - select - down - down - down".... This would be slower to respond to, but probably easier to implement since generating the key sets is straightforward (see, for example the Perl used by the "generate a Pronto CCF"), and, AIUI, a relatively minor change to the receiver.arf to allow the IR simulations to tee in at the right place.

To answer the inevitable question "why not just use a PC".... well, I have several PCs, 5 Receivers, but only 1 Pronto. I also have (on order) a touch screen tablet PC with a wireless network card. It would be nice to be able to sit at one end of my sitting room, and pick the preferred track on the wireless tablet... I could do THIS with additional Prontos, but I'd rather get an extra 4 wireless tablets, which would be generically useful web browsing machines, than extra Prontos.

Regards,

Mark

#221377 - 04/04/2002 06:37 Re: Web control [Re: MarkHarrison]
Demon

In reply to:

said "simulate the following key presses - menu - down - select - down - select - 1[abc] - select - down - down - down"....

Doesn't that give you 30 guys in Contra?

nevermind. bad joke. it won't happen again.

:d:

#221378 - 04/04/2002 08:30 Re: Web control [Re: Demon]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Doesn't that give you 30 guys in Contra?

Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Select, Select, Start.

#221379 - 04/04/2002 14:48 Re: Web control [Re: robricc]
Demon

heh... Actually, I think its

Up, Up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, <start>
for one player, or
Up, Up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, select, start
for two players.

I play **WAY** to many video games.
:d:

#221380 - 05/04/2002 08:29 Re: Web control [Re: Demon]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Yes, I think you're right about the Up, Up, Down, Down part. It's all coming back to me now...

#221381 - 07/04/2002 22:12 Re: Web control [Re: MarkHarrison]
tlilley
new poster

Loc: Blacksburg, VA
If you don't mind using a Linux (or any basic Unix, really) box as your server, contact me offline to get me off my ass to write up the instructions on how to reproduce my hacked setup.

In brief, it consists of the following:

• Jeff Mock's ssdp.pl to serve Rio boot-up "huh?"r equests
  • NFS exported receiver.arf with some of my hackso verlaid
  • Rob Leslie's madplay compiled for ARM
  • a barebones RTP client (forgot where I got it) compiled for ARM
  • the Obsequeium server (streams to RTP)

With this setup, I never touch the remote, and I don't pay any attention to the receiver display (since, right now, it's only displaying my stupid logo). Everything, for me, happens in the web browser, and in a small Python script that displays the current song info (soon to spit out to my Beta-Brite).

I'm just using the Rio Receiver as a fancy decoder, basically.

Note that this setup is highly alpha. I get occasional glitches in the RTP stream, and I'm not sure if it's from a priority issue on the Rio, or a network congestion issue elsewhere.

(empeg/sonicBLUE folk: I won't distribute my hacked receiver.arf, just a tarball to overlay on top of it. Actually, eventually, I'm going to have a completely free alternate receiver.arf, I've just been busy with other stuff lately ).

#221382 - 10/04/2002 12:38 Re: Web control [Re: tlilley]
MarkHarrison
stranger

Tripp,

Thanks for the message.

I've spent the last few days cutting over to running JReceiver (with the Rio extensions)... and putting together some draft Windows documentation for it ;-)

Given I'm on JReceiver, I'm kind of unwilling to move to Mock ;-(

PS - I _love_ your web site.