Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221405 - 15/04/2002 18:51 Released alpha version of replacement player code
reza

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've been spending a bunch of my free time (as I'm not currently employed, that's a lot of time) working on a full-bore replacement to the player application. The code is event based, though all the data retreival, decoding, and playback are done with threads. It actually doesn't do a lot other than displaying some status messages on the LCD and spitting out some IR codes that it recieves.

There is a lot of work to be done, but most all the low-level architecture is done. If you get a chance, check it out and give me some feedback or code.

You can find the code here : http://www.reza.net/rio/rrr.html

-Reza

#221406 - 16/04/2002 09:38 Re: Released alpha version of replacement player code [Re: reza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow! An actual player code replacement!

This is something that hasn't even been attempted for the Empeg Car player yet. I'm impressed!

#221407 - 16/04/2002 11:10 Re: Released alpha version of replacement player code [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It's a far more sensible proposition for the Receiver than for the car player, because

1. The Receiver is a far simpler product
2. The regular car software is far more developed than the Receiver software

Rob

#221408 - 16/04/2002 12:05 Re: Released alpha version of replacement player code [Re: rob]
Grundular
stranger

Good stuff. I've been waiting for something like this (I don't quite have the knowledge or time to do it myself from scratch) and I will definitely install it and give it a whirl tonight after work. The provided player software has a few irritants that always bothered me (like not being able to select albums by picking the artist first, THEN the album name - I can never remember album names, but I remember the artist and recognize the album name on sight).

Thanks for creating this. I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome.

#221409 - 16/04/2002 14:01 Re: Released alpha version of replacement player c [Re: Grundular]
jasons
stranger

In reply to:

Good stuff. I've been waiting for something like this (I don't quite have the knowledge or time to do it myself from scratch) and I will definitely install it and give it a whirl tonight after work. The provided player software has a few irritants that always bothered me (like not being able to select albums by picking the artist first, THEN the album name - I can never remember album names, but I remember the artist and recognize the album name on sight).

Note that this deficiency can be largely mitigated by the server code. I modified the "Mock" server to return albums, rather than tracks in response to an artist query, and it works great. The only problem is that this method only works in the "browse" screen, and not in the "search" mode.

I also modularlized the perl code for the base server. One module talks to DBM databases, as with the original, while another (the one I really use) talks to my MySQL database to do the query.

The other big change that I made was to create a "content" script, which will satisfy the http request to grab part of an MP3 file. This removes the need to have all of the symbolic links that the orignal server code required...

I wouldn't mind giving back my modifications, if there were interest. But I have been a bit lazy, and wasn't sure of the license status of the Mock code.

#221410 - 16/04/2002 14:14 Re: Released alpha version of replacement player code [Re: Grundular]
reza

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Keep in mind that it's not going to do anything terribly interesting so far. It's more for people who are interested in looking at the code, and making suggestions/comments or possibly want to help contribute codewise, or artistically with more fonts/layout/etc. I'm estimating that I should have some usefull rudimentary functionality within a week or two. I'm also going to try and implement it so that you can have either a linux backend, or a tweaked windows backend. Probably the RIO's server acting as an SSDP and NFS server, and a seperate program to serve content to the RIO.

Reza