Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221830 - 19/07/2002 22:34 Turning RioReceiver into Ethernet-to-HPNA "bridge"
mef

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Would it be possible to turn the Rio Receiver into a Ethernet-to-HPNA “bridge”? By the end of the year I will be purchasing one of the following: Xbox/Playstation2/GameCube/ReplayTV4000/TiVo2/etc. as a reward for graduating. These devices only have Ethernet ports and I don't want to shell out the $$$ for an Ethernet to HPNA bridge. Since I plan to have a Rio Receiver in the same location any ways, why not use it as a bridge.

What would be involved? Would I have to upgrade to a 2.4 kernel? What are the issues with building a 2.4 kernel for the RioReceiver?

#221831 - 20/07/2002 06:12 Re: Turning RioReceiver into Ethernet-to-HPNA "bridge" [Re: mef]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
A router is easier (ie, set up routes and turn on forwarding), but I suspect there is linux software to do a learning bridge type thing between eth0/eth1.

Getting 2.4 to work on the receiver isn't hard, 7212 support got a lot better in 2.4.

Hugo

#221832 - 20/07/2002 06:25 Re: Turning RioReceiver into Ethernet-to-HPNA "bridge" [Re: mef]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have also thought about this idea. One of the first things I thought about when I heard the receiver would have both HPNA and Ethernet on board.

Something to consider, though: Since you already will be having ethernet-only devices such as the Xbox and the PVR, then why not just run some real ethernet cable? Problem solved, no hacking needed. Besides, I would think there would be performance penalties associated with using the Rio Receiver as a router (it's CPU isn't all that beefy).