Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222689 - 30/01/2003 02:30 tRio - yet another 3rd party player
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Hi,

I've been beavering away for the past couple of months developing another player replacement for the Rio. I've reached a point now where I'm ready to release version 0.1, but would 1st like a few people to try it out on in different configurations (to iron out any teething problems) before making it more widely available.

The software is similar to RRR and RioPlay in that it does mp3, shoutcast, ogg and flac. There are a few enhancements though:

- because it uses the JReceiver xml-rpc interface it's able to do things like list the albums for a given artist in the menus

- if you have more than 1 Receiver (I have 4!), it can synchronise playback so that you can have the same thing playing in more than 1 room without any noticable lag.

- you should be able to set up your own customised screen layouts by editing the config file

- it has a simple clock application which just shows the time for now, but which I plan to turn into a fully featured radio alarm (version 0.?).

- the code what runs on the Receivers is minimal and all the screen handling is done by java code which runs on your host PC. This means that all you java coders out there can hack it to your heart's delight.

So if you're interested and reasonably switched on technically, please send me your details (email, configuration etc).

Cheers
Paul

#222690 - 30/01/2003 06:10 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
Dobbin
new poster

Paul,
This sounds fantastic. Can it handle MP2 streams ? Even if it can't I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Dobbs

#222691 - 30/01/2003 11:23 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This sounds fantastic, especially the synching feature. Do you have a web page for it? I'd like to create a FAQ entry on player replacements and link your site along with the others.

By the way, anyone know how many total player replacements are there and what are their URLs?

#222692 - 30/01/2003 18:05 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hey Paul

Awesome! I would love to try your player....I have two recievers and have been waiting a long time to be able to synchronize them. I am running a WinXP box.

My email is: [email protected]

Thanks -

#222693 - 30/01/2003 23:30 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
cwpippin
stranger

Loc: Arizona
Count me in..
I have a dedicated WinXP machine running as the media server (JReceiver 0.2.4) and 1 single rio.. Looking to get a second soon.

I would be happy to test for you!..

#222694 - 31/01/2003 02:22 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
pauln
enthusiast

Hey everyone

Thanks for the encouraging responses. I think I've had enough responses now to give it a good thrashing.

I'll be tidying up one or two things this evening and tomorrow morning and then sending you some binaries. Unfortunately I don't have a web-site, so I'll have to email it to you for now. So please send me your addresses (via a PM).

The basic requirements for running tRio are:
- Windows or Linux (although any java environment should work)
- either the origional s/w or jrec 0.2.4
- java runtime 1.4 or later
- it currently uses UDP broadcasts and so won't work over a router (wireless or other). I'll have a go at changing it to multicast this evening though.

So please let me know your email addresses and I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Cheers
Paul

#222695 - 01/02/2003 00:06 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Paul, Sounds too good to be true! I have always wanted to be able to configure my own screen layout. And with two receivers here, would dearly love to be able to synch them for parties. Count me in! tim aT skyhackers Dot org

Ooops. Forgot system config:
Win98, on a PIII/500
original s/w (but I've been wanting to play with JRec stuff)
HPNA network, or possibly test a mixed environment.

Thanks!

Edited by time (01/02/2003 00:11)

#222696 - 01/02/2003 18:27 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: time]
samgreco
stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL US
Paul,

Synching my 4 receivers would make my life complete It was really strange going up and down the stairs at our last party and hearing as much as 30 seconds dealy.

I am using an older version (2.21?) of JRec. Haven't had time to change it. If you need to test with that let me know.

Sam

#222697 - 04/02/2003 16:30 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
pauln
enthusiast

Folks, a progress update.

Over the past few days I've been sending code to those of you who responded with your email addresses. If you didn't receive anything, please PM me and I'll try again.

Just this evening I've managed to track down a nasty that was causing synchronised playback to drift apart over time. If anyone wants the new receiver.arf, send me a PM.

Cheers
Paul

#222698 - 13/02/2003 13:42 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
djsmee
stranger

paul,

New rio receiver user here, just got it up and going about
two days ago. A friend dumped the thing on me after he got
"tired" of trying to get it working...
I got it going over home PNA (to stereo in living room from my bedroom), on a P4/2 gig WinXP box,
still running original s/w. Love it to death, but now
am intersted in playin with the thing - been lookin around at
getting JRec and tryin it out, do I need that first to
run your tRio?

Hopefully I can get the info I need in these forums or
sign me up for your mailers : [email protected]

Thanks
Guy
aKa dJsmee

#222699 - 13/02/2003 13:46 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: djsmee]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
jReceiver provides additional features (mostly Artist/Album selection, IIRC) with tRio, but it's not required for it to work. It'll work fine with the standard software. However, I don't think that it works with the PNA stuff right now, also, IIRC. (Not trying to step on Paul's toes, but I thought I'd go ahead and answer what I know in order to be quick.)

#222700 - 13/02/2003 13:56 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: wfaulk]
djsmee
stranger

Thanks for the quick answer, I appreciate it!
Ummm, basically I just wanna get my receiver to play
live streams from my PC .. is this possible? And if so,
could the stream be on both my PC audio and coming out on the
receiver end simultaneously?

And you said that the tRio doesnt support PNA, but
does the jRec?

Some more easy ones for ya . !
Thanks again...

Guy
aKa dJsmee

#222701 - 13/02/2003 14:18 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: djsmee]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I depends on what you mean by live streams. I'm guessing you mean that you have a shoutcast/icecast server running and you want to play that. AFAIK, tRio is the only player that will do that right now.

I believe jReceiver supports PNA, because it doesn't have it's own receiver software -- it just uses the standard player software and replaces the server.

#222702 - 13/02/2003 14:34 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: djsmee]
pauln
enthusiast

Guy,

If you're wanting to get internet radio, then tRio is by no means your only option. If anything, the support of this in tRio still needs some refinement.

Your other options would be JReceiver with the original (thanks Bitt!!!) Audio Receiver Manager software or you could give RRR and RioPlay (in no order of preference) a try.

(Bitt, sorry to contradict you, but I'm pretty sure that the other clients do support Shoutcast. I'm sure there are plenty other posts on this.)

The major plus that tRio adds right now is synchronised playback between 2 or more Receivers. If you're not wanting this, you'll probably want to wait for version 0.1.2.

Regarding HPNA support, see justDave's posts regarding this. It doesn't work with tRio right now, but I believe he's got it working with RioPlay at least.

Regards
Paul

P.S. Thanks for responding, Bitt - I've been pretty snowed-under of late.

#222703 - 13/02/2003 15:04 Re: tRio - yet another 3rd party player [Re: pauln]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'll take your word for it. I hadn't seen other shoutcast-capable clients, but I hadn't been looking, and I could have sworn that someone made a big deal about the fact that yours could do it.

I'm probably just smoking crack.