Welcome to the club.
The software supplied with the units works just fine so long as:
1. you don't want to play any ogg or flac recordings
2. don't want internet radio
If you want these, you have decide on which client and server combo to use:
1. Some folks find the thought of installing JReceiver quite daunting, but it's not actually that difficult and I'd strongly recommend it. Make sure you install version 0.2.5 though.
2. The original software does work with all of the clients (but is more limited than JReceiver).
1. tRio does not work too well in wireless set ups and so I won't recommend it for you at this stage
2. both of the other clients (RRR and RioPlay) support internet radio multiple codecs, so either should work great for you.
(the tRio guy)