Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223272 - 19/06/2003 18:35 Jrec Question
adamcb
stranger

I have installed Jrec and am not sure if all is working correctly. Can Jrec boot the DAR... can I use the software that came with the receiver to boot and serve with Jrec?

Thanks,

Adam

#223273 - 19/06/2003 21:12 Re: Jrec Question [Re: adamcb]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Yes, and yes... you'll need to install the rio receiver optional module though (from the same download page..)
-mark

#223274 - 20/06/2003 05:58 Re: Jrec Question [Re: dionysus]
adamcb
stranger

Thanks Mark! I installed the rio receiver optional module last night and was not able to get it to boot. Do I need to run any other application to boot or will Jrec handle that on it's own? I have seen directions for setting up an NTFS file system for linux, but nothing for XP. Do I need to do this somehow?

Thanks!
Adam

#223275 - 02/07/2003 22:52 Re: Jrec Question [Re: adamcb]
TinnedFish
stranger

Loc: Oregon
Adam,

What you need is an NFS file system, short for Network FileSystem. Not to be confused with NTFS which is the MS proprietary file system.

And to further answer your question, I don't think anyone has yet been sucessful with this from a windows rig. I've been playing with it for a few weeks, I'll put my expereince below and you can grow from it, or try another route...

1. Step one - I needed to get an NFS server running on my windows 2000 server. I discovered something called Services for Unix put out by MS. This indeed loaded a NFS server on my machine.

2. I created the tftpboot directory on the root of my drive, and then I put a folder in that with the IP addy of my rio. Then I (right click) created an NFS share on the tftpboot folder, and wiggled all the bits to make it available to anonymous users.

Testing from another machine, I was able to mount the desired path.

3. Extract the receiver.arf file into the ip address folder. I used the MS SFU tar command, but it failed to unpack the DEV branch of the .arf. I tried a few free apps to unpack it as well including WinZip, and they all failed in one way or another...

But I had a bunch of folders and files in there, so I upacked the rio driver over it (praying it would make things better). I reconfigured Jetty to run the RIO driver, and restarted Jreceiver....

According the Jetty log, Jreceiver was up and running, the Rio war had unpacked, and was waiting for a Rio client to kiss it. I started the Rio device, and after a few moments it reported finding a music server. But that was it.

So...It looks like it might be possible with a bit more time and energy, and maybe a linux box to unpack the .arf and copy it into the NFS mount point. The real problem is you have to pay cash for the Windows NFS server. I'm throwing in the towel myself - a buddy is giving me an old P2 300 to run linux on, and that will run as my music server.

TinnedFish (bruce)

#223276 - 03/07/2003 00:03 Re: Jrec Question [Re: adamcb]
happy_hammer66

In the files section of the yahoo group 'jreceiver' you will find a rioboot.zip file that enables an NFS and port mapping.

there is a dos utilities tar.exe you can use to unpack tar files. WINRAR is perfectly OK as well.

Some of the clients when unzipped may have folders that are empty, such as the dev, but you should be able to get them by extracting them from the original software.

You don't need to go to linux. the docs cover it quite well.

#223277 - 03/07/2003 16:08 Re: Jrec Question [Re: happy_hammer66]
TinnedFish
stranger

Loc: Oregon
I'd skipped the rioboot route because the link on the yahoo groups failed to deliver anything, I get a "page unavailable" when I clicked the link. Know anywhere else it's available?

I'll try winrar.

Thanks
TinnedFish (bruce)

#223278 - 04/07/2003 10:59 Re: Jrec Question [Re: TinnedFish]
justDave
stranger

I don't think you're going to get this to work with MS's NFS server. The main issue (which I had to kludge around for RioBoot) is that the boot image contains several Unix-ism's such as symbolic links and device files that don't exist on Windows. So when /dev ends up empty or all the files are created but empty, it isn't tar or WinRar's fault really (it is WinZip's, though)*.

So get RioBoot and follow the instructions carefully. I've been using it for over a year on Windows 2000 and haven't had a problem.

* WinZip seems to abort when it hits a filetype it doesn't understand. If there are any good files after that point, it'll miss them. It doesn't even bother to give you an error message. That's why I included tartool in the rioboot package. If you use something else, be sure to check that you got everything.

#223279 - 04/07/2003 11:02 Re: Jrec Question [Re: TinnedFish]
justDave
stranger

> I'd skipped the rioboot route because the link on the yahoo groups failed to deliver anything, I get a "page unavailable" when I clicked the link. Know anywhere else it's available?

I just downloaded it - no problem. Try again (or ask me nice and I'll send you a copy).

> I'll try winrar.

That'll only solve part of the problem - see my previous posting.