Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223421 - 02/08/2003 17:28 AC3 for tRio
bamboo
new poster

Hi.

I am starting to get into DVD-Audio because of the quality and the 5.1 channel tracks. Apparently you can rip DVD-Audio to AC3. I am about to start experimenting with this.

Two questions (love audio but not the biggest audio techie):

1) Has anyone added this to tRio or any client version of Rio
2) If they did would it even matter? Meaning, would the Rio be able to send the 5.1 signals through its RCA output to a 5.1 receiver?

Another feature request for tRio would be to save the default volume setting. Not sure if this is there yet or not. I am still using the ARM client because of issues getting tRio to play.

Thanks.
John

John

#223422 - 03/08/2003 01:19 Re: AC3 for tRio [Re: bamboo]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
1. Sorry, but tRio doesn't do AC3 and I don't think any of the other clients do either.

2. Maybe someone else could answer this one - not an AV man myself.

What exactly do you mean by the "default volume setting"? tRio does remember the last volume setting accross restarts.

Cheers
Paul

#223423 - 03/08/2003 04:36 Re: AC3 for tRio [Re: bamboo]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
2) If they did would it even matter? Meaning, would the Rio be able to send the 5.1 signals through its RCA output to a 5.1 receiver?

The rio doesn't have a digital output, so there is no way it can send 5.1 signals to a receiver.

I doubt very much whether it has the CPU power needed to do the sort of thing you are talking about anyway. The CPU in the Rio isn't the fastest on the planet...

Edited by andy (03/08/2003 04:39)

#223424 - 03/08/2003 16:32 Re: AC3 for tRio [Re: andy]
mmhere123456

In reply to:

The rio doesn't have a digital output, so there is no way it can send 5.1 signals to a receiver.

Isn't someone adding digital audio output to the Receiver hardware? I think the approach is to replace the power speaker/amp daughter board with a board that provides SP/DIF out? The intent is to provide simple stereo (two channels only) output in the SP/DIF format.

If the Rio were able to do stereo SPDIF in a setup like this, I don't see any reason it couldn't do 5.1 as well. The difference between 5.1 over SP/DIF and 2.0/stereo over SP/DIF is simply the bit rate and encoding of different numbers of channels, right? If so, wouldn't the Rio be able to simply "pass through" the 5.1 stream, letting the downstream componentry do the decoding?

I don't see the Rio doing local decoding from digital to the six analog audio channels provided by 5.1: (a) there are not enough analog connectors present on the Rio client hardware, and (b) as Andy said in a previous post, there probly aren't enough horses under Rio's hood to decode six high bit-rate audio channels. DVD audio has like twice the bitrate of CD audio [per channel], doesn't it?

I'm not sure, however, that I see the point of using 5.1 with audio only (implying music only?) content served thru the Rio. I love 5.1 when watching DVD movies on my main A/V system. Movie sound effects are very directional and are placed much better in the sound field with five directional speakers, as compared with using a fewer number of discrete channels (e.g., Dobly Pro Logic provides only four channels; the rear surrounds share a single channel; also its channel separation is somewhat poorer). The pounding sub-woofer being driven by the ".1" channel is a huge addition for explosions and the like.

But when I listen to music on the main A/V system, I put it in plain old two-channel stereo mode (well, "2.1" including the still active sub). I leave all of the effects decoding stuff entirely disabled. Note that Dolby Pro could be applied to the two-channel material, but this often makes music sound weird.

So if the Rio client can only stream audio, how much sense does it make for it to provide 5.1 at the client's remote location?

#223425 - 03/08/2003 18:42 Re: AC3 for tRio [Re: mmhere123456]
bamboo
new poster

DVD-Audio supports 5.1 and if you have ever heard the Reanimation CD (Linkin Park) in surround sound you will never want to go back to stereo. It is fantastic. So I would like to start finding an audio format and player that can encode and then playback the songs so that I am not having to put the DVDs in.

If anyone hears of anything supporting this, let me know.

Thanks.

John

#223426 - 05/08/2003 00:28 Re: AC3 for tRio [Re: mmhere123456]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Isn't someone adding digital audio output to the Receiver hardware? I think the approach is to replace the power speaker/amp daughter board with a board that provides SP/DIF out? The intent is to provide simple stereo (two channels only) output in the SP/DIF format.

It was attempted, using the same hardware that is used to add sp/dif out to the empeg/Rio Car. If I remember correctly he never got it to work on the Receiver.