Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223573 - 30/08/2003 06:52 Hum from Rio
basf_audio

Loc: Saint Louis
I'm just throwing this out to see if anybody else is experiencing the same issues... When the Rio is powered down, there's no hum from my Rio. However, once I have it turned on and running (I'm using tRio) - I can hear a hum. Kind of like a bad grounding type of hum... (For clarification - Its quiet when powered on, just after the Rio Logo - then the tRio logo, it starts to hum...)

I really only started hearing it since I turned my speakers up and the variable line out volume control down to allow me volume control with each of the Rios I have... (Usually just have the fixed line out and ran over to the powered speakers each time to make an adjustment.)

I have three Rios and they all have this same issue... I'm going to play around with different volume settings and receiver.arf files (other client players) to see if it's just tRio, my units - or something else...

Thanks!
Dave

#223574 - 30/08/2003 15:52 Re: Hum from Rio [Re: basf_audio]
mmhere123456

It sounds like you are using a separate amplifier connected to Rio's line out?

If so, you could have a ground loop. See if the amp and the Rio are plugged into the same electrical circuit -- this may solve it. A good way to ensure this would be to plug a power strip into the wall, then plug both units (amp, Rio) into the power strip.

#223575 - 31/08/2003 00:52 Re: Hum from Rio [Re: mmhere123456]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
And occasionally even just turning the power plug of one of the units around can help...

#223576 - 01/09/2003 01:01 Re: Hum from Rio [Re: basf_audio]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Dave,

I have noticed this myself. I think has to do with the way the variable line-out volume patch works. Trying to fix it is beyond my rough-n-ready device driver programming skills.

Cheers
Paul

#223577 - 01/09/2003 01:41 Re: Hum from Rio [Re: pauln]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I have noticed this myself. I think has to do with the way the variable line-out volume patch works.

Ah yes, I remember now. When I first took the empeg VolAdj code and patched the Receiver kernel ( http://www.norman.cx/receiver/ ) I also tried to apply the variable line-out volume patch at the same time. I noticed that it added hum to the output, but when I mentioned it here no one else seemed to have the problem. I couldn't put up with it, so I removed the line-out patch from my kernel.

#223578 - 02/09/2003 19:40 Re: Hum from Rio [Re: andy]
basf_audio

Loc: Saint Louis
Whew... Glad that it wasn't just me... But yes - I'm using a set of external speakers. Paul - does your patch only come on when you select variable out? Or does it apply to your entire application?

These are the times I wish I knew a little something about programming! LOL - I'd love to get the hum out!

Thanks again!
Dave